http://www.cbpmagazine.com/article.php?articleid=458
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: Hotel Goes Tankless

doesn't talk about a storage tank or a circulating system.

can't picture 130 units sharing 17 units at 4.6gpm= 78.2 gpm total. 130 units sharing 78.2 gpm = .60 gallons per unit per minute.

of course the chances of everyone using a hot shower at the same time is rare, but what happens when a hand full start filling a bathtub

either i'm missing something or the story is not all there. they had 2- 750 gallon storage tanks.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, the article actually says that 130 units share 12 units, not 17. That works out to 55.2 gpm if each unit is doing 4.6 gpm.

The other 5 units are for the kitchen and laundry.

I think you are right that the entire story isn't there. This article just focuses on the tankless water heaters.

Comment

No thats the whole story, there are no tanks, only storage in piping with recirc, this story with more info was in Wholesaler mag about 3 months ago.

Typically a hotel of this type (non-convention) is sized at 40% water use of total rooms

130 rooms x 2 GPM (mixed shower, lav doesn't factor in, no laundry) x .4 = 104 GPM required.

At the given rise, they are 50% of normal requirements, no doubt headed for trouble and customer refunds during heavy booked room percentages.

Put a cheap Indian hotel franchise owner with a young inexperienced distributor salesman and a contractor hungry for work, and you have a bad system.

But, Noritz isn't alone on this, use the Rinnai on-line sizing program put in 130 showers, sinks and kitchen (residence inn) and it will also tell you 10-12 199,000 BTU units (also likely to get you in trouble)
        Last edited by Lee H; 03-11-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

now even if this did work i wounder how much they saved on fuel cost
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Has anyone considered the flow rate of the showerheads in the hotel?

I love internet plumbers

Comment

I guess were all " internet plumbers" in a sense ..Or are you talking about someone that has no experience in the trade asking questions or trying to give advice
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post

I love internet plumbers
                Whats your point, its a Marriott product so I'm sure its not less then 2.5 GPM, and possibly more making the situation worse.

Comment

I love internet plumbers
                  Yeah,
                  The hotel I take care of is choking the crap out of theirs.Bricks in the tank and diverters on the fill tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
                    Whats your point, its a Marriott product so I'm sure its not less then 2.5 GPM, and possibly more making the situation worse.
                    My point is the showerheads do not flow 2.5 gpm. And its a good one.

My secod point is that your original post is racist and condescending to all involved in the project.

Comment

It sounds like it will work fine to me. I am not an engineer but 3.1 million BTUs should work. If they had to they could add a storage tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                        It sounds like it will work fine to me. I am not an engineer but 3.1 million BTUs should work. If they had to they could add a storage tank.
                        Tankless is not sized on total BTU (like boiler & tanks) its all about peak GPM flow rate at a given rise and having the tankless BTU's you meet that requirement

1,2,3 hour recovery or 1st hour delivery does not apply with tankless.

Comment

My point is the showerheads do not flow 2.5 gpm. And its a good one.

My secod point is that your original post is racist and condescending to all involved in the project.
                          The most popular hotel shower head is the Speakman which is 2.5 GPM (single head) so, not sure where your going with your short unexplained answer.

Sorry didn't realize you were the installing contractor on that tankless job

"Cheap" racist? hardly think so, and the picture in the mag showed the owner was of asian desent, specificaly Indian, so again racist? or informed?

Comment

Besides everyone knows the indians are mostly into quicky marts
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Racist comments have no place on the forum. Describing a person as cheap hotel franchise owner is fine but the line is crossed when you interject his race into the equation while in a negative context.

Your talking about a specific named person in the article whom you have never met. Seems like a "cheap" shot on your part.

Comment

Working...
                              X