Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is the last time you made a real plumbing repair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is the last time you made a real plumbing repair?

When is the last time that you have had to make a real plumbing repair? Cast iron, oakum and poured lead. The quick set hydraulic cement the helper poured before I got my camera, then the batteries went dead after two pics.
    Attached Files
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Re: When is the last time you made a real plumbing repair?

Originally posted by Chauncey View Post
    When is the last time that you have had to make a real plumbing repair? Cast iron, oakum and poured lead. The quick set hydraulic cement the helper poured before I got my camera, then the batteries went dead after two pics.
    I make real plumbing repairs everyday. Thats what I do. Pouring lead is not that difficult. Carpet in a bathroom is nasty no matter how clean you are.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      I make real plumbing repairs everyday. Thats what I do. Pouring lead is not that difficult. Carpet in a bathroom is nasty no matter how clean you are.

This is so true. I remember doing a call in a 70's condo never remodeled with shag rug in their bathroom. It was this nasty green color. She asked if I could remove my boots? I said sure right after you mow the lawn It went right over her head.
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Baseboard heat behind the toilet is also a no no , it gets wet and rusty
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I still pour lead joints all the time for repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Chauncey View Post
            How come you didn't put hydraulic cement on the rest of the flange?

(Nice caulk job btw)
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I prefer to use lead wool for those CI flanges.
              Packs tight and less hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                I prefer to use lead wool for those CI flanges.
                Packs tight and less hassle.
                Jim, up here in Mn we're supposed to have a "monolithic" pour so lead wool is bad juju.

Minnesota is also sometimes known as the frozen hinterland.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                  How come you didn't put hydraulic cement on the rest of the flange?

(Nice caulk job btw)
                  I did but batteries went dead.
                  WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                  ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

I have no problem pouring lead joints, but it melts the ABS!

Comment

I'll pack and pour a ci flange every now and then..Just make sure you let the ci cool down before setting the wax ring ..It might melt
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                        I have no problem pouring lead joints, but it melts the ABS!
                        Funny you mention that. I just this past week poured a caulked joint in a shower drain where the pipe was old PVC. A little trick I learned a while back is to put a very wet rag inside the pipe at about the elevation where where the lead will be.

Then put the oakum in the joint. Just before pouring the lead cover the wet cloth with a dry bit of rag and a little plastic under it to keep it dry. (To stop the lead from creating and blasting steam into your face if you happen to pour lead in the pipe) Pour the lead.

While the PVC will actually take the heat, I've found this helps reduce the slight deformation that normally occurs in the pipe.

Probably don't have to mention how beneficial it is to wait till the lead has cooled to room temp before actually caulking the joint.

A thought just came to me. A person could also put a metal dollar plug or twist-in screw tight on top of the wet rag. That should be safer than the dry rag I normally use.

Comment

When is the last time you made a real plumbing repair?

You are suffering from a plumbing crisis at the middle of the night and do not know what to do. Well, instead of making frantic calls to the plumber it is a great idea to learn more about plumbing repairs and how you can do it yourself.
                          Most of us do not care to learn more about plumbing unless an emergency crops up but knowing about plumbing repairs can help you handle the simple repair needs yourself. Here is a list of some of the common plumbing repair problems along with tips to resolve it.

Comment

Working...
                          X