Gotta Blame the City on this one...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta Blame the City on this one...

Customers sewer is clogged... I work it with everything I have and cant even get it to pop, Gotta dig

Run Sonde and my trusty scout but she starts doing some really weird things outside so I decide their must be something radioactive in the ground when I realize my sewer problem shares an Alley with an AT&T building

Oddly enough my Spade comes back filled with dirt and a Bit of Phone cable... This can't be good...

Call my favorite excavator and get the locates... The phone starts ringing It would appear that the city is very unhappy that I'm going to remove their new concrete since they recently relocated all of the overhead utilities underground... AT&T was also not happy as they have a rather large fiber bundle that they also relocated when the alley upgrade was going on (though it was not located until the remark after concrete was removed)...

Pull the Concrete and decide we better Hydro Excavate and see whats going on down here...

Dannnnnnnggggggg Main sewer is 5' below this mess

Kinda Funny that the Sewer was connected to the main before the $300K Alley improvement project per the city street commissioner who also called me asking why I was going to damage is great work Amazingly the sewer is only 4' short of where it needs to be...

I will take a couple of pictures of all of the City Folks pointing fingers at each other....

Update: See I told ya they would all be around the hole...

Here was the cities great repair job... (notice the cup, it keeps the dirt out of the main when you are back filling)

City needed to come in and fix the main (After I identified and removed 2x 6" gas lines that were abandoned)

All is well that ends well... Back fill in the morning, and work on the bill
    Last edited by OkieBill; 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM.

Re: Gotta Blame the City on this one...

Troublemaker

Comment

good luck with that mess

Comment

Was there even broken concrete from the original sewer? Or was it cut then nobody remembered to re connect it?
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Whadda mess!

A profitable mess.. Eh?
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

they wanted to use the drain line to run new phone lines and save them money on digging up the roads
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Updated (see first post)

Comment

i have not been doing plumbing for a long time but i never saw the long sweep why's like that before
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                  i have not been doing plumbing for a long time but i never saw the long sweep why's like that before
                  Supply house was running low on materials.... I made a set of "Texas Twins" so the customer would have a set of directional clean outs

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                    Supply house was running low on materials.... I made a set of "Texas Twins" so the customer would have a set of directional clean outs
                    Ha...Texas Twins...haven't heard it called that before....but was a common practice here since late 70's all the way to the 90's...I always thought it was because they didn't have two-way clean-outs....but heck I don't know...nice job!!!
                    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                      Ha...Texas Twins...haven't heard it called that before....but was a common practice here since late 70's all the way to the 90's...I always thought it was because they didn't have two-way clean-outs....but heck I don't know...nice job!!!
                      Two-way clean outs are great for shallow lines that will let you see what direction your cable is going but when you have to drop down 4' or 15' a set of directionals is the only way to make the cable go the right way.

Comment

is that non directional saddle tee a common practice?

ours are wyes and typically clay.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                          Two-way clean outs are great for shallow lines that will let you see what direction your cable is going but when you have to drop down 4' or 15' a set of directionals is the only way to make the cable go the right way.
                          Oh I agree but these guys from that time frame did it on lines 6" deep...If its over 8 foot or so I would set it up like that at the building, then wye's out every 75 foot...I just never understood doing it on lines that weren't that deep....
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            is that non directional saddle tee a common practice?

ours are wyes and typically clay.

rick.
                            The city actually provided that saddle since the supply house was out of those as well

Is there such a beast as an 8"x4" Directional Saddle Tee for Plastic? I have never seen one...
                            Last edited by OkieBill; 03-14-2011, 10:44 PM.

Comment

we're suppose to cut in a wye. not a saddle anymore.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X