Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Combustible Gas Detector

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Combustible Gas Detector

    Any recommendations on a good portable model..Needed mostly for natural gas..Looking at 8800 CO MODEL ..I know I have plenty of soap spray already ..Just want another gadget
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

  • #2
    Re: Combustible Gas Detector

    I have two of these...1st one I bought in the mid 90's and it still works. The sensor can be replaced.
    They work great. You wont be disappointed with the purchase.

    http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEYQ8wIwBQ#

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Combustible Gas Detector

      Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
      Any recommendations on a good portable model..Needed mostly for natural gas..Looking at 8800 CO MODEL ..I know I have plenty of soap spray already ..Just want another gadget
      The TIF 8800 isn't for CO. Just for combustible gas. I've had 3 of those over the years. They work great and very reliable. Sensor easily replaced but mine never needed it. The battery wouldn't take a charge after the 5th or 6th year. A used one can be had pretty cheap on Ebay. Zeros in on the leaks pretty quick then follow with soap bubbles.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Combustible Gas Detector

        Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        I have two of these...1st one I bought in the mid 90's and it still works. The sensor can be replaced.
        They work great. You wont be disappointed with the purchase.

        http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEYQ8wIwBQ#
        Thanks , that unit looks nice ..I appreciate it
        Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        The TIF 8800 isn't for CO. Just for combustible gas. I've had 3 of those over the years. They work great and very reliable. Sensor easily replaced but mine never needed it. The battery wouldn't take a charge after the 5th or 6th year. A used one can be had pretty cheap on Ebay. Zeros in on the leaks pretty quick then follow with soap bubbles.
        Yes , I borrowed one from a friend once and was impressed..It detected the leak and I did like you said followed up with the soapy bubbles..Theres a guy on craigslist selling one for $25..Don't know all the details , if it has the charger, if it works , etc..Might just roll the dice
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Combustible Gas Detector

          I have the 8800A and have been very happy with it. I use it anytime I do gas line work even though I don't do plumbing for a living. One caution is that it can trigger on vapors from joint compound although I personally have found that it really does not trigger on the level of compounds you would put on pipe threads. It can trigger if you open the can and stick the sensor near the opening.

          Although it is not designed for CO detection the manual says that it will detect CO at about 2000ppm. It should not be used as a primary mechanism for detecting CO but it will detect it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Combustible Gas Detector

            Thanks again..Never thought about the pipe dope triggering the sensor..
            whodathunkit
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Combustible Gas Detector

              Actually there is a caution in the manual about this. Also the detector is of no use when you are pressure testing a new gas line with air of course.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Combustible Gas Detector

                i have 2 of tif units and they pick up on flammible vapors. honestly a good spray bottle and soap will do the same and it never has a false positive.

                rick.
                phoebe it is

                Comment

                Working...
                X