X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eternal Tankless and a difficult customer

I agree you with on that for standard tankless. This unit, however, is a hybrid with a two gallon tank, and is setup with 44 tubes in it. The cut away, reminds of a boiler. It would take a lot of scale to slow this down. There a few sensors and things that could give you problems with large amounts of scale, but you would most likely have that with any heating device. I also found out today, that they are introducing a 9 gallon tank that can be added on for extra storage, and there is some type of control with it that lets the tankless control circ. pumps. Also, there is not a part on it that can't be changed in 30 minutes or less. I think my biggest problem has been the faulty advertisement over the last 10 years. It has brain washed some people into thinking that tankless units are perfect.
    Last edited by Plumbingbyjay; 03-18-2011, 01:00 AM.
    "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
      I think my biggest problem has been the faulty advertisement over the last 10 years. It has brain washed some people into thinking that tankless units are perfect.
      Imo...you nailed it right there with this paragraph. I think one day this industry will have a near flawless design that will be the model for all manufactures.

I agree with you on the scale issue on any heating device. The other battle is..customers don't want water softeners because they say it makes them feel slimy.

It's sad that people don't know the difference between your skin feeling soft and smoother and not feeling that way when the hard water closes the pours on your skin.

I've lived with a water softener all my life, and I can honestly say that it's extremely rare for any type of Plumbing problems in the house I grew up in. The consumer doesn't realize how much money they would save in Plumbing repairs because of soft water.

Comment

Just ask'n...Why did the lady want her water tanks moved out in the beginning?

I have said this in another tankless thread and I will say it again:

For me to even consider a tankless these criteria MUST be met:

*must cost $1,000 TOPS (or less) installed

*must be as maintenance free as my old tank (which means doing NOTHING for 32 years)

*must have good flow with incoming water at 39oF (Toronto)

*must reduce my summer time monthly gas bill from $30 to 10 cents

*Although not possible, run without electricity

~otherwise don't waste my time

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=36269&page=9

Comment

It sounds like your install and product is just fine...based on the information you supplied the customer has several individual fixture problems. I will say first and foremost I am no expert on tank-less heaters but I can tell you that going from tanked to tank-less heaters is it possible that individual fixtures had problems that were masked? If your customer can't endure troubleshooting questions, then they can't possibly expect someone to fix the problems.
          When I go to the doctor and don't tell the doc. everything or leave out certain information or just manipulate information, then of course the treatment will be flawed...I want to say that there is a very small group of people who can't see past their face and egos to comprehend what is going on...first they called you, not the other way around, if they can't accept the fact or don't want to hear your opinion or knowledge then I am afraid that you have your work cut out for you to correct this situation.
          Another way to put it is when people call me for a stopped up sewer call, they say everything's backing up...really...everything? Well you know the sinks are okay...well that not everything...so you cable the sewer and a few weeks later they call saying the tub is stopped up but everything else is okay it must be something you did wrong cause its doing the same thing as before...well no its not but the customer is too stupid or stubborn to hear the truth...
          I think this may be one of those customers that are nothing but trouble and will have to be avoided or charged more to compensate for all the b.s they will give....just like FLUX said...people complain about water softeners making your skin have that slimey feeling...that is your pores being open letting your natural body oils surface and breathe right...that is how it is supposed to feel not the other way around....
          Sorry to go on but I feel for you and just stand your ground in knowing that you have done nothing wrong and have a factory rep. to support you and install....Good Luck!!
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

quote:
            *must be as maintenance free as my old tank (which means doing NOTHING for 32 years)

Holy Crap! What brand of water heater are you using? We only get 8-10 years out the one's here. 90% of them are in the attic (above the second floor!) I don't think tankless is going to just "go away". It is very similar to when the HVAC industry went from old non efficient standing pilot furnaces to electronic high efficient ones. It took about 15 years for them to get it figured out. Well, My first tankless was 15 years ago. The product is better, and I am not going to let one Psycho customer out of a few hundred stop me.
            "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

That was a GULFSTREAM water heater...I don't think it is still made under that brand name...even if it is, not to that standard of quality....was installed in 1973 in a brand new house at the time. Lasted 32 years doing nothing to it.

"...The product is better..." (referring to tankless)...not too sure about that for reasons I've mentioned before (along with many other guys on here)...high efficiency furnaces versus conventional furnaces is not a correct comparision to tankless versus water tanks when factoring in all the parameters.

Comment

I hope I never have a customer like that. I too think the Eternal great. I would put it in my house if on nat gas. I think you do the shower test with her and her husband again and say that there is nothing more to do.

Comment

Working...
                X