Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft of Serviced Rendered

Theft of Services* Rendered

Did a call for a guy about 2 weeks ago. Second time being there. This time I reset the toilet and changed the fluidmaster and flapper. $148.00 w/ tax. He gives me a check and off I go.

The check bounces. I call him up and he apologizes and said that he got double charged on a transaction it should be sorted out, go ahead and redeposit the check.

It bounced again and now I am annoyed. I call him 3x no answer, no returned calls. I called him again no answer, so I call him from my wife's phone. Boom, he picks up. He says, sorry again, come by tomorrow and I'll give you the cash.

I go by there the next day and he says he doesn't have it because I didn't call before I came over. He tells me to come by tomorrow or sometime next week and he'll have the $$.

So I go by there yesterday which would be exactly one week from the last visit and he says he doesn't have it there's nothing he can do, and tells me to leave. I am livid by now, and I said this is unacceptable, this is theft of services he then tells me to get off his property or he'll break my legs.

I went down to the cop shop and filed a report. When I explained to the officer what happened he got upset and said that we need to go have a chat with him.

We did and after we got done, the officer pulled me aside and said, look this guy is an @$$, all you can do is file a civil suit case, and I will put in the report that he threatened you, etc, then you can seek your payment and restitution.

I have decided, no more personal checks.

What would you have done?
    Last edited by mpm; 03-20-2011, 09:42 PM.
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Re: Theft of Serviced Rendered

I know in New Hampshire it's a crime to write bad checks. Had a couple One was an honest mistake husband spent money at Christmas time did not tell the wife they paid with in 48 hours. Had another purposely write a bad check bounced went back gave me another check bounced went back Bad credit card called the police had him arrested for writing bad checks. I was paid cash by a family member hated to do it but you have too.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

On checks here you have to get DL# and DOB...as long as you have those on the check you take it to the prosecutors office and they automatically file suit for you...
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Knock on wood; I have never been burned by a bad check, just a few slow payers now and then. I get paid by checks 90% of the time. On big ticket material items I get paid in full for them when first delivered on site.
        Last edited by plumb4life; 03-20-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
          Knock on wood; I have never been burned by a bad check, just a few slow payers now and then. I get paid by checks 90% of the time. On big ticket material items I get paid in full for them when first delivered on site.
          On big ticket items I usually get 50% deposit and then 50% COD. My contracts for homes it depends. Usually 50-25-25.
          Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
          Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

between the post office and your customer, it's been a bad month

fortunately the last incident i had was with an ebay purchase from south coast equipment. which who are no longer allowed on ebay

3 months later with a bounced check and fees, i got paid back by a certified check and cash.

i would file a small claims case and screw up their credit. the 149. is already lost. if they own a car or property you can attach those for collection.

not sure how your small claims works in hawaii, but ask the judge to have him surrender his jewelry he might wear to court. wedding ring, watch, chain.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

This one is tough because people are closer in Hawai'i then other places. If he's local then you're much know your name just got shot down. Maybe get credit card reader and go with that. Sorry to hear.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Unfortunately bounced checks are one of the costs of doing business. If that is a cost that you don't want to deal with then you should do exactly what you said you are going to do which is don't accept checks as a form of payment. Make sure that you inform your customers of this practice prior to accepting the job. BTW, a business check will bounce just as high as a personal check.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If you cannot collect and it is too small an amount to justify legal costs, maybe start using a collection agency for that kind of customer. If they are able to collect you will get a small amount at least. I think they only charge based on what they can collect. The deadbeat will have to deal with them and if he has any kind of credit rating, this will go against it and be on record.

Comment

i say a 3/4" copper pipe filled with lead across his knees at night where he cant see you lol
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

It's 2011, I wouldn't have taken the cheque in the first place.

Comment

What if you rephrase why you're not taking checks, ex. "Checks contain account and routing numbers so we at xxxPlumbing refuse checks to prevent identity theft" or something to that effect.
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 03-20-2011, 11:45 PM.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ask the "fulton united methodist church" i filled a lien on their parsonage when they didn't pay me. as far as the closeerness, good get all the deadbeats pissed at once. that is what i want. several years later the baptists called. the first thing the preacher said was " is you will get your money". love it. in fulton baptists pay, deadbeat methodists don't until you lien them. ain't it great? christians what a bunch. breid...............

Comment

Something similar happen to us about 10 years ago. This builder owed us about $ 12,000 and the check not only bounced, but the account was closed. This guy wasn't answering his phone, and he was hiding from us etc.

No big deal..

My father went straight to the State Police, and they went out to arrest this guy. It's a crime here in Pa, to write bad checks and knowingly doing it from a "closed account".

So when the Police showed up to arrest this guy, all of a sudden it was a misunderstanding, and the guy got my dad on the phone to come over and get another check.

State Police told my father "if this check bounces" they were coming back out to re-arrest him.

Comment

hydraulic cement in their cleanout

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                              i say a 3/4" copper pipe filled with lead across his knees at night where he cant see you lol
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X