X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets not forget the important things

I am a little loopy on pain meds, so excuse any typos.

Have been in the trade 26 yrs now, used by body a little too hard when I was younger and stubborn. I have had back issues from time to time.

Week and a half ago I got up and could barly move my right leg, muscles where tight, cramping and painful. worked 2 days like that then went to the doctor, he scheduled MRI for my back, call back later that day with appointment the following day with neurosurgeon.
    I had a bulged, torn and herniated disk. some small pieces of something (disk??)were broke off and placing pressure on nerves.
    that was last friday, went in for back surgury tuesday. everything went well, 2 weeks of nothing, then 4-6 weeks of slowly rehabilitating and should be back to normal by then. My stepdad who retired from my company when out west is flying in next week. so when I am back on my feet, he will go with me and take care of all the work, I will just ride a long and be able to keep customers taken care of.

for you young guys out there, 2 lessons from a "middle ager"

1-don't sacrifice your body for anything, get the right equipment always

2-friends and family--the most valuable gifts that God gives us

Crazy that it sometimes takes being laid up to realize how truely blessed we are.

Re: Lets not forget the important things

Well I'm not on pain meds but those are golden words of wisdom...I keep telling the kid at the feed store not to carry my horse feed two 50 pound bags at a time...he tells me he then only has to make half the trips....I tell him just because you can do carry two bags doesn't mean you should...two days ago he has been MIA..hurt back...i hope he's okay ...but when I see him I will give him an earful...GOD only gave you one back do not abuse it...I'm 37 and I am capable of carrying and doing things 18 year old kids can..but I don't...there is my opinion..
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

RDW920:

I see you're from Iowa. That being the case I thought I would ask you a question regarding the flow of the Mississippi River. Do you know why the river flows from Minnesota towards Iowa?

Because Iowa sucks.

(A friend from Iowa taught me this decades ago. I'm just sharing.)
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Geno--

I am in Iowa

I am FROM California

Comment

Originally posted by RDW920 View Post
          Geno--

I am in Iowa

I am FROM California

RD: So you moved from a pretty cool but insolvent State to a State that, well... takes all the sewage Minnesota dumps.

I used to work with a couple of plumbers who lived in Iowa and drove up here to the twin cities from Mason City every day. (Insane!!)

I hope you're feeling better!!!
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            RDW920:

I see you're from Iowa. That being the case I thought I would ask you a question regarding the flow of the Mississippi River. Do you know why the river flows from Minnesota towards Iowa?

Because Iowa sucks.

(A friend from Iowa taught me this decades ago. I'm just sharing.)
            Hey wait a minute im FROM Iowa amd were not all idiots out wandering about!

Comment

Originally posted by Killing time View Post
              Hey wait a minute im FROM Iowa amd were not all idiots out wandering about!
              Maybe not, but if you are in Parts Unknown, Arkansas you sure as heck must be lost!

Comment

Hey just having fun with the iowa/ca. thing.

I am really happy with the choice we made in moving here.

When people here find out I moved from california by choice...you should see some of the looks I get.

No offense to those out west but my typical answer:

1- if I win the rat race, I am still a rat

2- when its cold here I can add layers, when I am stuck in traffic, changing cloths doesn't help.

recovery going well by the way, hardest thing is feeling so much better, to not allowing myself to lift, twist or bend too much.

Comment

The importance of staying fit (limber)

Well sometimes you just can't beat genetics, but having a consistent conditioning program that includes stretching is really important. My choice is Martial Arts as it covers all the bases of fitness and as we get older we can just move to a more softer style. You might be physically strong, but lack of flexibility is where most of the injuries stem from.

This, plus knowledge, correct tools, willingness to seek assistance and awareness of surroundings makes for a long(er) career.

Comment

Working...
                  X