X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: While your here!

If the since you are here thing is another problem that I can charge for no problem unless I have other jobs to rush to, but if they say "well you where here for 45 min. so you owe me 15 min. come look at this sink" Then I get mad.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
      Yeap. The calls where they don't have any other problems are the exception.

Wow! Joined 2000 eleven years ago and just 27 posts! Not saying anything bad just happen to notice.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
        That is the kind of crap I'm talking about...7 p.m. and they don't care...why cause some people are selfish and rude...I would like to have said to them yeah its double time...will that be cash or check...and no it won't be real quick!!
        Exactly!

If it was a standard sink (push and pull) I probably would of done it real quick. Pedestal sinks are a whole different animal, and most people don't understand that.

But in my mind I wasn't going to charge her for the quick trip out there to re-light her pilot on her water heater. After she said that to me, I charged her for going out and scheduled the faucet install for Monday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
          If the since you are here thing is another problem that I can charge for no problem unless I have other jobs to rush to, but if they say "well you where here for 45 min. so you owe me 15 min. come look at this sink" Then I get mad.
          I've definitely had those types as well.

Comment

We love the while your here's. I have to share something with you that may just change your life. When I was working with my dad, I noticed that he would do things for free, when the customer said "while your here". One day one of his best customers pulled me aside, and said something that I will never forget. "you know, I like your dad, and he is a great plumber, but I don't think he is charging me enough for all the things he does." This customer wasn't trying to get him to do stuff for free, He is just like all of us. WE FORGET S#*#. How many times have you gone to the supply house, paid, then walked out the truck and then walked right back in because you forgot something? I'll bet they didn't say, Oh well, here it is for FREE! Invoices are cheap, Be up front about it, Oh, you want me to snake another drain upstairs. Ok, that will be an additional $40.00. We try to plan on the While your here's. If you look at your week, you will probably see that there a few customers that could be put on a floating schedule. Now, I haven't perfected this yet. It takes a lot of organization, but our stress is down. What if you had a few customers that you said, "I'll put you down for Wednesday of next week, but if I get an opening earlier I'll move you up." Then, book yourself with a few extra hours called Overflow time. Something usually goes wrong, and you can't move people up, but if you are able too once and a while, you look like a hero. Take charge of your company and profit. I bought a bigger truck to stock more for the "While your here's", and my sales went up 15% the first month.
            "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

I suppose the problem isn't the fact they are asking for anything else to be done its when they ask after you have filled out the invoice and you've been paid and they make it sound like they want you to wave your magical wand and fix it for nothing...or when your done and they add something very time consuming or they just keep adding one thing after another after another when you got called for is already done...I mean if I go to the store and buy 12 items and pay for it and then go to the car then walk right back in i don't get it for free... see post #12...that man said it best right there!!!
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                We love the while your here's. I have to share something with you that may just change your life. When I was working with my dad, I noticed that he would do things for free, when the customer said "while your here". One day one of his best customers pulled me aside, and said something that I will never forget. "you know, I like your dad, and he is a great plumber, but I don't think he is charging me enough for all the things he does." This customer wasn't trying to get him to do stuff for free, He is just like all of us. WE FORGET S#*#.
                I'm willing to be that every customer that has "good intentions" is being heavily out weighed by the ones with "bad intentions".

It's one thing to forget that you have a leaky faucet or a running toilet that needs attention. Its another when you try and hand a Plumber a faucet or need a tub installed, when you were not called for that in the first place. (<---had that happen twice with a tub)

A customer doesn't forget installations...drips and very minor issues, I'll agree with some of that.

10 years ago, I barely heard the phrase "while you're here". Today it's embedded in their vocabulary, and it is constant and it kind of gets on my nerves to be quite honest. I can't a go a month without hearing it at least 3 or 4 times.

Maybe down South and the West Coast is different, but here in the North East, people are down right ignorant here, and only care about the bottom line, and themselves.

It's quite ignorant to tell a contractor to his face "Since I'm paying for the hour, I have a few more things for you to look at "while you're here". I don't even charge by the hour, but yet had a few tell me this in the past.

Last year I had a long time customer write on her copy of the invoice with payment "$85.00 for 15 minutes worth of work"???? (that many question marks). My dad called her back and asked if there was a problem with service, and her reply was "If I knew I was being charged $85.00 for fixing a minor issue, I would of added on something else".

But you know what? Telling stories about all of this kind of boils down to "hear say" in the end. Nobody here would honestly know if I was telling the truth or not. This is the kind of situation in where I would love to play the customer and treat some of you guys the way I get treated and see if you don't get ticked off like most of us do.

Just because I might ***** about it on a Public forum, doesn't mean I act like that in a Professional setting. I have a killer poker face and a customer would never know my true feelings unless they literally got in my face or crossed the line in some other manner.

This has nothing to do with making extra money. It has to do with the way we are being treated in this industry, and as human beings.

Just because I may be dirty looking when I walk through their door, I'm not the maintenance man, and I'm not beneath them.

I am a Professional and expect to be treated as such, as I do give them that same respect back as a customer.

Being Polite with the way people word things, is beginning to be a lost art these days.

I also want to say that...please don't take this post to heart...just showing you the other side of the coin.
                Last edited by Flux; 03-26-2011, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Okay..I did it today..89 year old lady from England...did everything no problems...got check and was leaving, grabbed the door handle and it was really loose..she said sorry I gotta get somebody from church to come by and fix that, I will have to give them a few bucks to do it...I felt really bad so ran out to van got my allen key and screwdriver, and tighten it up...she tried to pay me and I said no its no biggie...so she forced me to take a loaf of homemade banana nut bread...
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                    Okay..I did it today..89 year old lady from England...did everything no problems...got check and was leaving, grabbed the door handle and it was really loose..
                    Ironic...Today I was at an Old Italian ladies house to give the K-50 a run and install a new trap, and when I tried to close her main door, it wouldn't shut.

After a close inspection, the strike plate was barely hanging on. No problem..went out to the truck and got some screws and screw gun and fix it right up for her.

Left the house with a HUGE plastic bag of Pizzelle's. Yummy!

Comment

Had one yesterday. 88 year old man on social security that knew my grandfather. I could tell instantly by looking around that he didn't have money. Told me a really cool story about my grandpa. He also told me about his wife that recently passed away and I could tell he loved her so much and missed her it was killing him. He had tears in his eyes when he was telling me about her. I know who he is so I knew he wasn't feeding me a line.
                      He had no pressure in a basement shower on the hot line where the copper connected to the old galvanized. cut it open and poked a hole in the crud, full pressure after that. Took me about five minutes.

He wasn't going to let me go without me getting paid something so after going back and forth for a while I told him twenty bucks, he can buy me dinner. I told him I would make it up on the next job.

It doesn't matter what profession you're in. Sometimes it just feels good to make others happy and to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        Had one yesterday. 88 year old man on social security that knew my grandfather. I could tell instantly by looking around that he didn't have money. Told me a really cool story about my grandpa. He also told me about his wife that recently passed away and I could tell he loved her so much and missed her it was killing him. He had tears in his eyes when he was telling me about her. I know who he is so I knew he wasn't feeding me a line.
                        He had no pressure in a basement shower on the hot line where the copper connected to the old galvanized. cut it open and poked a hole in the crud, full pressure after that. Took me about five minutes.

He wasn't going to let me go without me getting paid something so after going back and forth for a while I told him twenty bucks, he can buy me dinner. I told him I would make it up on the next job.

It doesn't matter what profession you're in. Sometimes it just feels good to make others happy and to help out.
                        We definitely take care of those who are less fortunate in life. It makes me feel good at the end of the day, as I feel I'm righting my wrongs in life by helping others.

Comment

Take a quick look and if it's something that's going to be very time consuming, schedule a return trip.
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Have been enjoying this thread. "While you're here" is so common that I've started booking fewer jobs, and still never get home on time. I agree that some people are trying to take advantage of having already paid--they often don't come up with stuff that requires tools and parts, but troubleshooting--which takes time, and in the end, time is what I'm charging for.

Since it's so common, I think sometimes it is forgetfulness, sometimes it is trying to take advantage of the plumber, but I think sometimes it is that they want to see what they think about you, so they call you to fix the primary problem, and if they like you, they go ahead and add the other stuff. so in that case, it's a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              i try to get all the info before i ever show up and therefore have an idea of my sch.

as long as i have time, then it's fine. if it's too time consuming, i'll let them know i don't have time today and will have to come back to finish your other task.

most of the time they are minor issues like caulking or cleaning aereators. maybe a running toilet or slow drain. 1/2hr. is not a problem most of the time. but it really depends on the time of day and my other calls i need to get to.

rick.
                              I conduct business as Rick does on this. Asking the right questions on the phone is critical.

Comment

Pappy always said "you gotta give to get" And it ain't always money either
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X