Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
While your here! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • While your here!

    What do you guys do about the while your here customers? As a one man shop it can really throw off my schedule. Ive been in business for myself for 6 years and have not figured out what to do about them yet.

  • #2
    Re: While your here!

    i try to get all the info before i ever show up and therefore have an idea of my sch.

    as long as i have time, then it's fine. if it's too time consuming, i'll let them know i don't have time today and will have to come back to finish your other task.

    most of the time they are minor issues like caulking or cleaning aereators. maybe a running toilet or slow drain. 1/2hr. is not a problem most of the time. but it really depends on the time of day and my other calls i need to get to.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: While your here!

      Those are the only 3 words a customer can say to me to make my blood boil in 2.9 seconds.

      So when they say that, I feel like saying back...

      "Yea..while I'm here, why don't I tune up your car for you and change the oil while I'm at it".

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: While your here!

        Originally posted by Killing time View Post
        What do you guys do about the while your here customers? As a one man shop it can really throw off my schedule. Ive been in business for myself for 6 years and have not figured out what to do about them yet.
        Lighten their wallets Seriuosly though, I know sometimes it can be a pain in the as* but you gotta at last look .Even if you need to come back later ...

        The ones I hate are the ones that once the ticket has been signed and check cut ..." Oh can you take a look at this real quick " bullshi*
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: While your here!

          The "While your here" almost always seem to turn into major problems. Even if it is the most minor fix it always seems like you encounter every little problem possible. But usually it seems like it is an 80 year old woman and it is impossible to tell them no

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: While your here!

            Most the time i just do it ...if pressed for time , and it looks time consuming , i tell them i will have to work that in another day

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: While your here!

              Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
              Most the time i just do it ...if pressed for time , and it looks time consuming , i tell them i will have to work that in another day
              Yeap. The calls where they don't have any other problems are the exception.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: While your here!

                WOW, Heaven forbid that a customer offers you more opportunities to make revenue. Them dang customers, how dare they offer me more money.
                If I can't fix it, I will help you find a good plumber.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: While your here!

                  No problem as long as I have the time. If I wind up fixing a problem or using parts, it's gonna cost more even if they've already paid me. Yesterday, customer paid me and then decided he wanted his heater flushed. I had the time, he paid me more $$$. If I gotta get to another appt. or emergency, I'll tell them they have to schedule and appointment if it's something worth messing with. Like Rick, I tell them to make a laundry list of their problems/complaints so that after I'm 1/2 hour away, they don't call and see when I can come back to look at a flapper that's one year old.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: While your here!

                    Originally posted by Mayberry Plumber View Post
                    WOW, Heaven forbid that a customer offers you more opportunities to make revenue. Them dang customers, how dare they offer me more money.
                    Is that what it's called?

                    Unfortunately your last sentence is not gospel, and more customers use it as an angle to get something for nothing. I have yet to have a customer "offer more money" in any instance. Once in awhile I'll have that customer who will ask for a price...but they never offer.

                    But..

                    I wish I was a customer and called you in to do work for me. I'd bet my savings account you would leave my house pissed off and cursing me out the whole ride home. All because I said to you "while you're here".
                    Last edited by Flux; 03-25-2011, 02:24 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: While your here!

                      Originally posted by Mayberry Plumber View Post
                      WOW, Heaven forbid that a customer offers you more opportunities to make revenue. Them dang customers, how dare they offer me more money.
                      I try to treat every customer like there my only customer but it is aggravating when your at a customers house to fix a leaking water heater. That im doing because its leaking and they want you to rebuild a couple toilets while im there and im working till ten at night and having to call other customers to reschedule there jobs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: While your here!

                        Originally posted by Killing time View Post
                        I try to treat every customer like there my only customer but it is aggravating when your at a customers house to fix a leaking water heater. That im doing because its leaking and they want you to rebuild a couple toilets while im there and im working till ten at night and having to call other customers to reschedule there jobs.
                        Saying "while you're here" is demeaning and down right ignorant to say to someone that's providing a service to them and others. "While you're here" often means "Since I'm paying for the hour, let me see what else I can add on". I would love to see someone say "while you're here" to a doctor or lawyer.

                        Saying " If you have time" has a much softer tone and is much more acceptable to say to someone.

                        A lot of people lack serious communication skills and proper etiquette.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: While your here!

                          Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          Saying "while you're here" is demeaning and down right ignorant to say to someone that's providing a service to them and others. "While you're here" often means "Since I'm paying for the hour, let me see what else I can add on". I would love to see someone say "while you're here" to a doctor or lawyer.

                          Saying " If you have time" has a much softer tone and is much more acceptable to say to someone.

                          A lot of people lack serious communication skills and proper etiquette.
                          I agree, once I'm done..then I am done...what gets me is that the "other thing" usually is a much more time consuming deal...I can tell you the guy who works on my vehicles is a really good friend...If I drop off my car to get the oil changed and then call him later and say well since you got it can you change the plugs, wires, flush the radiator, and etc...he says KMA...he already had his day planned, its not about the money or work but keeping promises to other customers...I understand this and agree, I have already made commitments to others and its not fair to them....IMHO
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                          Derek

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: While your here!

                            Originally posted by dcman View Post
                            I agree, once I'm done..then I am done...what gets me is that the "other thing" usually is a much more time consuming deal...I can tell you the guy who works on my vehicles is a really good friend...If I drop off my car to get the oil changed and then call him later and say well since you got it can you change the plugs, wires, flush the radiator, and etc...he says KMA...he already had his day planned, its not about the money or work but keeping promises to other customers...I understand this and agree, I have already made commitments to others and its not fair to them....IMHO
                            I can't count the times I've had customers try to pull this stunt on me.

                            But one that stands out is... I went out on a friday evening around 7pm to re-light a pilot light on a water heater. Now we don't offer 24/7 service and I tell people that upfront. However, I wanted to do this call for her as we just picked her up as a new customer a few weeks prior.

                            After I lit the pilot light, she shows me a moen "wide spread" lav faucet that she wants on her pedestal sink, and said "while you're here" can you install this for me real quick?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: While your here!

                              Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              I can't count the times I've had customers try to pull this stunt on me.

                              But one that stands out is... I went out on a friday evening around 7pm to re-light a pilot light on a water heater. Now we don't offer 24/7 service and I tell people that upfront. However, I wanted to do this call for her as we just picked her up as a new customer a few weeks prior.

                              After I lit the pilot light, she shows me a moen "wide spread" lav faucet that she wants on her pedestal sink, and said "while you're here" can you install this for me real quick?
                              That is the kind of crap I'm talking about...7 p.m. and they don't care...why cause some people are selfish and rude...I would like to have said to them yeah its double time...will that be cash or check...and no it won't be real quick!!
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                              Derek

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X