X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about bleaching a well

Hello i have never had much experience with a potable water well. Customer just bought a short sale and the well has a bad sulphur smell picked up a charcoal filter at hd and installed .cust says water still smells. The softener looks the head was leaking for a while as the softener has streaks all the way down the tank to the base. So their thinking a new system .my question is how to bleach the well .how much bleach etc guess i'm looking for the big dummy's guide to fixing the problem thanks

Re: Question about bleaching a well

bleach isnt gonna fix sulfur..... take a water sample to you water treatment system supplier and see what else is in the water so you can design the right treatment system.

I had one that the water samples showed all kinds of bacteria and MTBE's had to install uv filter, iron removal system and Carbon filters..... not cheap but they had to do it to have safe water.

Comment

You need a chlorine injection system.

Comment

PS take a water sample before the "softener" so you can see what you really need to do.

Comment

I know it's different everywhere. but here you can't get a CO if there is a well without a water test .
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

To the original poster,read this link.
            http://www.water-research.net/sulfur.htm

Comment

I have read that to properly chlorinate a well, one should put the chlorine in a larger amount of water, 50 or so gallons and put that down as it will get to the water table if you have a deep well, a gallon or two of chlorine bleach may not hardly get to the bottom of the well depending on the casing and other factors, (usually use about 10 to 15 gallons of water with the chlorine solution), then let it set for a few hours or days, and then pump,
              the cleaner the well is the longer the chlorine will linger, if it is a lot of silt or a lot of organic materials it may not last only a short time, a few hrs, on strong concentrations of chlorine water may not be the best for health, (so refrain from drinking the heavy concentrations of it, especially kids),

on Hydrogen sulfide gas, one way is to pump into a tank that is vented and then re pump out of that storage tank to the water system, and some aeration (bubbling of the water or spraying it in the air)

most of the gases will come out of the water in the vented storage tank and the water that is pumped in to the house should basically be free of gases,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If you want to treat it like a new well figure

Chlorine lbs. / (MG X 8.35 X 50ppm)

Remember household bleach is only 5% plus you need to convert the weight of the bleach to pounds of 100% chlorine.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

If you do chlorinate the well, you will only temporarily stop the odor.

I don't like chlorine injection, even though I sell the feed pumps, I don't like what chlorine does to your plumbing, your fixtures, your clothing and what it does to you.

We use air to get rid of the odor with this system: http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/Wells/sulphur_remover.htm

There are the aerator systems that spray water into open vessels of water to disperse the gas, but those are rather unsanitary. I won't go into some of the things I have seen floating in those tanks.
                  Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Hey speedbump by any chance you ever bought parts for a 1959 ford?

Comment

Hey speedbump by any chance you ever bought parts for a 1959 ford?
                      I owned two 1956 Fords when I was a kid, but no 59's. Bought a lot of oil for those 56's though.
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X