X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backflow Test Gauges

Was wondering which ones are good for testing most manufacturers backflow devices..Watts , Febco , Etc.. Thanks Looking at a CONBRACO right now
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Backflow Test Gauges

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    Was wondering which ones are good for testing most manufacturers backflow devices..Watts , Febco , Etc.. Thanks Looking at a CONBRACO right now
    Stay away...has to be calibrated often...Midwest Model 845...that's the one I use 5 valve system...been a most excellent test kit...If you can come across a Watts TK-9 for a good price snatch it..its a really good one...I had one and left it in the van and froze...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
      Stay away...has to be calibrated often...Midwest Model 845...that's the one I use 5 valve system...been a most excellent test kit...If you can come across a Watts TK-9 for a good price snatch it..its a really good one...I had one and left it in the van and froze...
      They all have to be calibrated yearly I thought..I will look for a Watts though..Probably can't go wrong with that one..Froze..Aren't they glycerin filled

Comment

They all have to be calibrated yearly I thought..I will look for a Watts though..Probably can't go wrong with that one..Froze..Aren't they glycerin filled
        No...not filled with anything...you don't have to have them calibrated..but I calibrate mine every two years...I say you don't have to...not here anyways....Watts does make a awesome 3 valve test kit...but I like the 5 valve kit by Midwest better...

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
          No...not filled with anything...you don't have to have them calibrated..but I calibrate mine every two years...I say you don't have to...not here anyways....Watts does make a awesome 3 valve test kit...but I like the 5 valve kit by Midwest better...

Yeah here we have to have ours calibrated every year to be able to test ..I am trying to get into a bit more installing/ rebuilding/ testing..I am looking at the midwest gauges now ..Thanks
          Last edited by OLD1; 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Had a watts tk-9 cause it uses an aluminum block and has brass parts on it the aluminum gets pitted and the valve becomes junk in time. Been using a Midwest 854-5 for years now and no problems at all. They do need to be recalibrated yearly.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks Ratz..Looks like you do quite a bit of backflow work yourself..I don't really do any except for the recert every 3 years ..I need to get back into it as there is a lot of backflow work coming up in my area..First the grease police now this..Another cash cow maybe

Comment

They all pretty much test the same so the device manufacturer is not much of a concern. I always liked Midwest because it works without all of the bells & whistles.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hey Old1 I just bought a Wilkins 3 valve test kit from a plumber I used to work with for $400 used like 3 times. I have to test two double check valves he installed for one of his old now my new customer I remember about 2 or 3 years ago W.S.S.C. had a list of certified testers at regulatory services that would give out is that still going on?

Comment

I have the wilkins 5 valve, I actually kind of wish it were the 3 valve. Too many knobs for too simple a test.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                      I have the wilkins 5 valve, I actually kind of wish it were the 3 valve. Too many knobs for too simple a test.
                      Hey where did u go to get certified and who was your instructor? I went to OTC in Springfield and Tom Arnold was the instructor for me..

Derek

Comment

I have never gotten the chance to use a tester in the field so this will be fun for me. It is nice being the boss you get to get into thing you never would have working for some one else.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                          I have never gotten the chance to use a tester in the field so this will be fun for me. It is nice being the boss you get to get into thing you never would have working for some one else.
                          The first three are like the hardest cause your kinda nervous and if someone is watching you it makes it worse...but it gets better with time...

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                            Hey Old1 I just bought a Wilkins 3 valve test kit from a plumber I used to work with for $400 used like 3 times. I have to test two double check valves he installed for one of his old now my new customer I remember about 2 or 3 years ago W.S.S.C. had a list of certified testers at regulatory services that would give out is that still going on?
                            Hey Clip, I believe so ..Also Anne Arundel county does the same thing..They will send you a form to fill out with the model # of your test gauges and the last date of calibration.. WSSC actually has a cross connection division like the FOG unit now. Perhaps another ca$h cow

Comment

I have no idea how to get that kind of work so I have one customer that needs it done and I guess that is all I get to use it for

Comment

Working...
                              X