X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing-Official Definition

Since coming back home I've been trying to get the boy more involved with plumbing but I'm still keeping everything in perspective. He mostly watches and then picks something up and uses it for the wrong use i.e. fits every single copper fitting in the tray into some weird abstract warhol art. But he's still hanging out with me and handing me tools.

So back to the title. When can someone say they actually started plumbing?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Plumbing-Official Definition

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    I was out with my father at a young age being a gopher and doing other silly stuff.

But at 13 I started putting faucets on lavs, and installing toilets in new Construction, so I count from 13 on.

It was "ok" at the time, I got more enjoyment driving one of his work trucks out at the job site instead.

Comment

Since coming back home I've been trying to get the boy more involved with plumbing but I'm still keeping everything in perspective. He mostly watches and then picks something up and uses it for the wrong use i.e. fits every single copper fitting in the tray into some weird abstract warhol art. But he's still hanging out with me and handing me tools.

He is on his way. I use to do that with pvc fittings. He will be a wizzard at fitting pipe if he continues. He is learning and neither of you realize it.

Comment

i started plumbing about 29 years ago ,i was in the Labors union and did some sewer main piping for a year then work got slow so i would go to the hall looking for work . some days i worked and some day i did not .
        a friend of mine broke his leg and he was a plumber and they needed him back but he could not drive a stick shift . so he asked the boss if he would pay me to drive him and get him things . that went on for almost a year and i said thats it i went to work for them full time . 5 years later i went to another company and got the $ i wanted and staid there 1 year . moved to PA and was hired as a plumber but after 1 month they needed some one to work on some big heating pipes and i said i can do it .
        so i have been doing HVAC pipe fitting for the same company for over 22 years now
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

you should of had a girl]

phoebe's been coming to help me since 8 days old

she's done water heaters, drain cleaning with the k-60, jetting and toilet repairs.

the other day when i finished jury duty at 2:15, i picked her up at joey's work and took her on a job. between the owner and house keeper, they couldn't get enough. 5 minute toilet repair and 20 minutes sharing phoebe between the 2 of them.

so if keola needs some help, phoebe will show him the ropes

might even take her to the roadshow

rick.

needed a little help with this 100 gallon heater on an elevated platform in a closet. wore out phoebe who was just 8 days old

my 2 loves.

phoebe looking over the shop.

phoebe and joey working the jetter.

ridgids youngest calendar girl in the making.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-03-2011, 10:59 PM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Let him be a kid first, there will be plenty of time to involve him with work later.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

my dad had me caulking joints and locating sewers at the age 7. Granted he poured the lead since I couldn't handle the ladle safely. I got to handle the lead when I was about 12.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

I don't know Rick, I've seen this look before. Usually accompanied by a flaring of the nostrils and an evil eye laser beam coupled with a "why you got my baby out here in this cold"(southern georgia accent).
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

cute daughter but seriously, are you nuts?????

8 days old and getting her that close to the machinery that runs
                  through sewer drains???? yikes

maybe you are trying to build up her immune system????

I dont even let my kids hug me when I get back from a plumbing/drain cleaning job. I go straight to the shower then come out to the family.

Comment

I don't know Rick, I've seen this look before. Usually accompanied by a flaring of the nostrils and an evil eye laser beam coupled with a "why you got my baby out here in this cold"(southern georgia accent).
                    not quite. actually joey was with phoebe sitting in a patio away from the noise and potential mess, when the jetter hose came up in an area drain and blasted up some mud and muck

needless to say, joey was not too happy.

that's the problem with non directional fittings used in area drains

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by dhdc View Post
                      cute daughter but seriously, are you nuts?????

8 days old and getting her that close to the machinery that runs
                      through sewer drains???? yikes

maybe you are trying to build up her immune system????

I dont even let my kids hug me when I get back from a plumbing/drain cleaning job. I go straight to the shower then come out to the family.
                      don't let the photo fool you. the water heater job, she was 8 days old. she didn't master the k-60 until she was 6 weeks old

plus i was wearing my surgical gloves and she wasn't there with the machine running.

phoebe is well adjusted to the work environment. she's been a member here since before birth

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I try to rub a little sewer juice in my kids gums, helps numb the gums when they're teething.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hmmmm, If I remember correctly, Ceaser asked me if I could find a way to get water to the bath house
                          sigpic

Comment

Part of being a kid should invovle some amount of work. Working with Dad and learning a trade is a great combination. What he learns now will be with him for life.

Comment

Gear, how old is your boy?
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                              X