X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So frickin pi$$ed off!

Old customer from last year tried to haggle me on a price last year with his main line stoppage as he had a ferrari right behind him in the driveway. He called me up tonight and wants a line jetted and asked for a price. Told him 150 per hour, and high estimate of 3 hours . Line got silent then he chimed in why isn't going to pay it and what is a price he would pay. I didn't say anything and just kept listening as he then tried to rationalize why that's too much money and how he can call anyone else....this went for about 2 minutes. I then told him(very calm, suprised even myself) that it's his money and he can call anyone he likes and thank you for calling and have a nice day. But holy high $hit am i ticked off. Where or how does he thinks it's alright to tell someone how to run their business?! I saved his number and annotated in my invoices not to do business with him again. Just had to vent, feel better now.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: So frickin pi$$ed off!

Every time some rich guy does that to me I always think " I guess thats how they got rich robbin people"
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

maybe i'll do it tomorrow when i pick you up

but it's more than $150. and less than 3 hours

i'll show you how it's done on friday at my job

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

If he don't like your rates tell him to come out east we can barter for his car in exchange for service.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I find that people with money like to use "intimidation" tactics all the time.

Of course I like the husband that wants to play the "tough guy" roll when it comes time for the bill to be paid.

I calmly would of told the guy he wouldn't hurt my feelings at all with finding someone else.

Spending money on necessities today means computers,cars,i-pods..etc.

Years ago necessity spending was repairs, food, and a roof over your head.

$150.00 is extremely reasonable..easily much higher on the East.

Comment

You gave him a great price. Some people just don't want to pay for professional, quality work.

Like one of my calls today. Property manager hired her brother in law to replace some 8" Lav Faucets. Guy couldn't get one of the valve bodies out. They called me, I went and charged them $150 to remove the valve body and spout and replace the H&C one-piece angle stop flex with new a/s and ss flex lines. I was in and out. The renters were happy because I was quick, courteous, and used my own towel (the other guy used theirs) to wipe up.

She asked how much it would be to do the other 3 lav faucets. I gave her a price but she declined (of course) after I got paid, on my way out the door I did let the PM know that she might want to have her brother in law change the pop up assembly since in comes with the new faucets. You should have seen the look on her face .

Don't let the turkeys get you down...
            Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
            Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

just had a customer call me today. he lives on the 3rd. floor of a condo and had a plugged tub.

problem was he called me after the fact and didn't realize i did drain cleaning

so he was charged $189.00 for a 10 minute tub stoppage from roto rooter. he was pissed

bigger problem was that's the message he left on my phone.

had he asked me before he acted, i would have told him to wait for me.

so you see ben, it goes both ways with the customers.

see you tomorrow

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Old customer from last year tried to haggle me on a price last year with his main line stoppage as he had a ferrari right behind him in the driveway. He called me up tonight and wants a line jetted and asked for a price. Told him 150 per hour, and high estimate of 3 hours . Line got silent then he chimed in why isn't going to pay it and what is a price he would pay. I didn't say anything and just kept listening as he then tried to rationalize why that's too much money and how he can call anyone else....this went for about 2 minutes. I then told him(very calm, suprised even myself) that it's his money and he can call anyone he likes and thank you for calling and have a nice day. But holy high $hit am i ticked off. Where or how does he thinks it's alright to tell someone how to run their business?! I saved his number and annotated in my invoices not to do business with him again. Just had to vent, feel better now.

Love it when they tell you what they are willing to pay..Had a guy pull that same crap with me ..This was on a sat. whole house stoppage..Gave him the quote over the phone ..He said he was willing to pay x amout .Told him you might get it done for x amount just not by me..Thanks for calling though and have a great weekend sir
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  How do you really feel?
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I'm sure glad this post came about. Gives me a chance to vent or is that rant?

Guy comes in a few hours ago, says I'm here to pick up my Motor. I didn't know anything about it. Went in the back, found the pump (not just a motor) that my Son had been working on. The wife tells the guy he needs a new motor, that his is burned up. Now he wants proof. I told him I wouldn't hook it up, cause it was still sitting on the bench with parts removed and I didn't know where my son left off. He still wants proof. Wife gets on the phone to my Son. He tells her it's burned up. He still wants proof. Wife says he ain't getting any proof until Son gets back later. Now he just wants his motor but doesn't want to pay the bench charge. So I threw him out telling him not to darken my door again and not to bring the pump back no matter what.

I never did like that cliche "The customer is always right"

Wow, that does work. I feel much better now.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      just had a customer call me today. he lives on the 3rd. floor of a condo and had a plugged tub.

problem was he called me after the fact and didn't realize i did drain cleaning

so he was charged $189.00 for a 10 minute tub stoppage from roto rooter. he was pissed

bigger problem was that's the message he left on my phone.

had he asked me before he acted, i would have told him to wait for me.

so you see ben, it goes both ways with the customers.

see you tomorrow

rick.
                      Was he mad because it took ten minutes or that it cost $189.00? So what if it took him ten minutes. That might be a little high in your area, but not for a bigger company and not totally out of line.

Sounds like your customer is arrogant, cheap, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                        I'm sure glad this post came about. Gives me a chance to vent or is that rant?

Guy comes in a few hours ago, says I'm here to pick up my Motor. I didn't know anything about it. Went in the back, found the pump (not just a motor) that my Son had been working on. The wife tells the guy he needs a new motor, that his is burned up. Now he wants proof. I told him I wouldn't hook it up, cause it was still sitting on the bench with parts removed and I didn't know where my son left off. He still wants proof. Wife gets on the phone to my Son. He tells her it's burned up. He still wants proof. Wife says he ain't getting any proof until Son gets back later. Now he just wants his motor but doesn't want to pay the bench charge. So I threw him out telling him not to darken my door again and not to bring the pump back no matter what.

I never did like that cliche "The customer is always right"

Wow, that does work. I feel much better now.
                        If the motor is burned up why not just break out a multimeter and ohm the windings for him or ohm to the pump case and show him it is grounded?

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
                          You gave him a great price. Some people just don't want to pay for professional, quality work.

Like one of my calls today. Property manager hired her brother in law to replace some 8" Lav Faucets. Guy couldn't get one of the valve bodies out. They called me, I went and charged them $150 to remove the valve body and spout and replace the H&C one-piece angle stop flex with new a/s and ss flex lines. I was in and out. The renters were happy because I was quick, courteous, and used my own towel (the other guy used theirs) to wipe up.

She asked how much it would be to do the other 3 lav faucets. I gave her a price but she declined (of course) after I got paid, on my way out the door I did let the PM know that she might want to have her brother in law change the pop up assembly since in comes with the new faucets. You should have seen the look on her face .

Don't let the turkeys get you down...
                          So the pop-up wasn't on the job?

Comment

Once in a while you should fire a customer, it cuts down on the aggravation in your life and makes you feel better.

Only fire the ones that are a pain in the rear, not the good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              So the pop-up wasn't on the job?
                              Thats what I thought at first but I saw the new faucet boxes sitting in the bathroom. So I peaked in and saw the new pop-up assemblies in the empty boxes .
                              Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                              Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X