X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So frickin pi$$ed off! PART 2

and this is the type of d*ckhead customer that would say "while you're here".

1st phone call like previously posted, I would of been Professional.

2nd call as posted right here...it would of been "GAME ON".

Comment

Yes sir, I did think my prices over And it's now $400 also bought myself a new Ferrari Business is good.
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I'm sorry Ben but you blew it on this one. Your responce to the second call should have been a simple "I'm sorry but I am no longer interested in providing you service"

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i had a woman call and get price. that's cool, i like them to be able to pay when i get job done. what ain't cool is to say to me "your to expensive" with a snippy voice. i told her i did it on purpose. which shocked her. she said it again. i told i did it on purpose again. she then tells me she will take me off of the list. i said good and i'm also a master plumber and licensed electrician. take me off of those lists. lol. i don't keep records of who does that kind of stuff. i work nights and weekends. people are usually a bit politer on sat or sun or at night and they have an emergency. lol. i will be glad to rethink my price, upwards. it will go up and stay up. breid...........................

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
            Yes sir, I did think my prices over And it's now $400 also bought myself a new Ferrari Business is good.
            Exactly and by the way ..wanna race

Gave a tire kicker a price a fears ago to do some work..After about a week or two he called back and apologized for the delay in getting back to me (probably kicking every other plumbers tires in town) and that he had finally recovered from the price I gave him..Told him well now the price I'm gonna give you will probably put you on life support
            Last edited by OLD1; 04-08-2011, 11:40 AM.
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Ben...you should of told the guy you're not the Salvation Army, and hung up on him.

Comment

Had a guy yesterday...

I go and give a quote to plumb a small bathroom: w/c, lav, shower. House is 2 stories on slab (All digging, back filling and concrete work by other) and the sewer line is close by.

So I gave him a price $1500, and informed him we would have to open a wall in the bathroom directly above the one he is putting in to tie the vent in above flood rim level of the upstairs fixtures (I find getting customers to understand the concept of flood rim level a bit difficult at times). He said its not getting inspected so he doesn't care if its not to code and my price is way too much.

I said well I am not going to do it if its not to code. I don't want my name on something that's not done right. He tried to get me to come down on my price by not doing things to code. I said, I'm sorry this job isn't for me and I thanked him for the opportunity to bid and left.

He called me this morning and said he liked my attitude, liked the way I stuck to my guns and would only do it the right way or no way and would be happy to have me do it for the quoted price. He said he was able to haggle one guy down to $800 but that guy said that venting was overrated.

Ben, check your pm.
                Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Ben, in my opinion you did the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Here's the first thread. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37132

Got a call today.

Ferrari guy "Gave you a few days to rethink your prices. What's your new price to jet the lines?"

Me "Before I answer that I must ask if it's common practice for you to procure the services from businesses and tell the owner how to run their business?"

Ferrari guy "So I take it that's a no on a better price"?

Wife in the background "I don't care what ben is asking for, you pay him, I'm tired of getting ripped off"

Me(acting like I didn't hear her) "Sir looking at my schedule it appears that I'm already booked for the whole month and wouldn't be able to fit you into my schedule. Since you have a serious problem that needs immediate attention, I would suggest looking in the phone book to find another plumber as I don't believe I'm the plumber to suit your needs. Thank you again for calling and have a nice day".

Ferrari guy "w...."

Didn't give him a chance and hung up. He didn't call back. Got my new jetter working, fixed an electrical problem in the van and closed the door on this guy. Very good day indeed.

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                      Not the whole English language! Just one word! Think I can copyright "whatever"?
                      Nope. There's a blonde haired lady with REALLY big hair on my block who already has the rights to "whatever". You, however, can have the rights to "wutever". It sounds the same and is easier to type!

Glad to have helped.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Well guysit doesnt change down here either. Except of course for a few subtle differences. Down here it appears at times that there is only one job and everyone wants to bid on it. Truth is as we all know is if every job was offered to us we could do all at once anyway. It never seems to amaze me how we all seem to fight over crumbs. But then the opposite happens where the wrong contractor gets the job that you or others are more proficient at simply because they sold their souls for the price that the client wants to pay, not what the job should be charged at.

Comment

We also have the case of the young guys getting out of their time and thinking they are instant experts. Get a big "SUV" put lots of signs on it and bingo, super-plumbers are born. So then the cliebt tries to use the prices given by the young inexperienced to screw down the Professionals. So I can tell you I generally walk away but unfortunately I know so many older supposedly wiser who chase like no tomorrow. End result, prices go down and these older guys sook like little babies

Comment

Hey Tony AFM, Drainman is one of these. You know he has got a reputation building real quick. Wonder how long before he sells up to hide his face in shame

Comment

Cleanman

I went around to a elderly client last October she had had the drainman there to camera and see why a cast iron sewerage pipe was leaking under her house and gave a quote to reline 5mts for $10,000.00, I went around and a mate who jetted the sewer and then I camered it and found it was in great condition being only 50 years old but the drainman told the client that the black marks on the inside of the cast iron sewer pipe were rusted through and this was where it was leaking but on closer inspection I found the leak was due to where the waste pipe from the laundry entered a single level inlet off the DT was broken and leaking under the house I charged $1000.00 and the client was happy as larry.

Tony

Comment

Thankfully I don't deal with the public in my job. The few dealing I've had are with selling stuff on Craigslist. It's when you do something like that that you realize that there is a whole section of the population that specialize in lowballing you regardless of how well you price the items you are selling. In many cases they don't even seem to know what the new price is - they just seem intent on lowballing you for the sake of getting a "better" deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X