X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 1500 wats dangerious ?

As far as I know for the last 30 years 1500 watts at 120 vac. Is safe to plug into a standard 15 amp outlet

I need some support on this

Thanks guys !

Re: Is 1500 wats dangerious ?

pulls about 12.5 amps...so yes...I think most hair dryers are 1500 watts....
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

not really enough information but if your using an extension cord make sure it is properly sized and consider the length of it for voltage drop,

a 14 gage wire should be used (minimal), and if longer distances consider a 12 gage cord,
      Attached Files
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Reason I posted this is that I used a 12 gage cord on a 1500 watt water heater as a temporary over the weekend until the electrician could run a dedicated line for it .

Code guys pretty unhappy

Court appearance and a fine

Basically have to convince a Judge that it was not "Dangerous Electric"

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
          Reason I posted this is that I used a 12 gage cord on a 1500 watt water heater as a temporary over the weekend until the electrician could run a dedicated line for it .

Code guys pretty unhappy

Court appearance and a fine

Basically have to convince a Judge that it was not "Dangerous Electric"
          You can run 4500 watts on a 12 ga wire at 220v.....its done everyday as the inside wiring between the thermostats and the elements. How long was the cord? Was it really just over the weekend and will the owner of the property go to court with you and support your claim it was just temporary? How did the inspector get involved?

Depending on the lenght of the extension cord and if it had a proper ground and the enviroment in which it was installed to be considered "dangerous".

Comment

was it that you got busted by the inspector and didn't pull a permit?

the issue is not the 12 gage wire as it has a 20 amp rating. the issue is the heat rating within the heater if it was hardwired inside the jbox. normally 90c is required.

my gut feeling is the inspector was looking for issues if a permit was not obtained.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

If you can see what the manufactures recommendations are or were with the use of an extension cord,

most likely it will read some thing like this, this one is said to be taken from the CPSC US consumer Product Safety Commission
              Do not use an extension cord unless absolutely necessary. Using a light-duty, household extension cord with high-wattage appliances can start a fire. If you must use an extension cord, it must be marked #14 or #12 A WG; this tells the thickness or gauge of the wire in the cord. (The smaller the number, the greater the thickness of the wire.) For example, a cord sold as an air conditioner extension cord will have these heavy wires. Do not use a cord marked #16 or #18 AWG. Only use extension cords bearing the label of an independent testing laboratory such a U.L. or E.T.L.
              http://www.thehomeinspector.com/Clie...ceHeaters.html
              or like this, (this one is from a publication of the from CPSC U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission)
              Avoid the use of extension cords for heaters, but if one is absolutely necessary, use heavy duty cords that are appropriate for the wattage of the heater. The ordinary home extension cord is probably inadequate for a heater, and even home wiring could be inadequate for some higher wattage heaters.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml73/73045.html
              Last edited by BHD; 04-13-2011, 01:42 PM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Cord 25 feet

Daughter in Law that does NOT live there rolled a portable oxygen generator up to heater then called Cops and went "springer"

Inspector was ready to let it go with a double permit Dil said no .

then a couple of days later Electrician ran 220 line NO permit and asked me for the 220 parts ... I reported that code guys did nothing ...

Customer NEVER paid for job either !!! I think they planned the whole thing

Should I plead guilty Its a local ordnance nothing against license ...

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  was it that you got busted by the inspector and didn't pull a permit?

the issue is not the 12 gage wire as it has a 20 amp rating. the issue is the heat rating within the heater if it was hardwired inside the jbox. normally 90c is required.

my gut feeling is the inspector was looking for issues if a permit was not obtained.

rick.
                  What good does a 12 ga wire do when its plugged into a 15 amp circuit with 14 ga romex ran through the walls?

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                    Cord 25 feet

Daughter in Law that does NOT live there rolled a portable oxygen generator up to heater then called Cops and went "springer"

Inspector was ready to let it go with a double permit Dil said no .

then a couple of days later Electrician ran 220 line NO permit and asked me for the 220 parts ... I reported that code guys did nothing ...

Customer NEVER paid for job either !!! I think they planned the whole thing

Should I plead guilty Its a local ordnance nothing against license ...
                    That sucks ..
                    Did they beg you to let them have hot water before the electrician could run the wire

Comment

Personally I would call my lawyer and do battle. I'd plead not guilty and drag it all out...hopefully they will not show for court but be prepared for battle if they do.....hire a retired inspector as an expert witness.

I was harrassed by two cops yesterday......they told me not to get an attitude.....I told the two cops..."I will use whatever attitude I want because I'm a taxpayer and have a valid business license in this city to conduct business and YOU TWO are preventing me from conducting business and if you dont like it you can call your supervisor and he can talk to my lawyer......and then I handed him my lawyers business card.

BOTH of them STFU and ran my license numbers and drivers license.....then apologized and sent me on my way. The 1st reason they stopped me was that I was blocking the road way.....total B.S. nd I told them so.......after all the drama the truth came out that they were responding to a house alarm to a second story window.....and I had a ladder on the top of the truck.

I sent word through a cop friend of mine to tell them they will never make detective and to use better judgement next time. The blocking the road way was an excuse to make contact.......because having a ladder is not. Friend said one watchs too much tv and the other one is a rookie.

Comment

tm spot on buddy

plead not guilty. sue them for your money. in indiana it's very easy to file a lien. just ask the fulton united methodist church 3 blocks up my street. believe it everyone knows. when the baptist preacher called about a repair, he said "you will money". lol. breid................

Comment

Working...
                        X