X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power vent W.H. REDUCED TO 2 " PVC

Back in Mass. , Cape Cod, visiting daughter. While doing laundry in basement,this is what I found. This is a 6 year old home. 30 gal. state power vent. W.H. Exhaust is 3" P.V.C. for about 3' vert. than has a 3" to 2 " reducer and is 2" for 18' to outside! Has the Mass. code changed? W.T.F. How did this get signed off on a new home? I'll help Her find the Plumbing Contractor with the help of the build dept. I would think He will change it out, without a problem. Ever see this
    from a Lic. plumber before ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Power vent W.H. REDUCED TO 2 " PVC

No...surprised water heater don't lock itself out...hacks...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Hold on what are the limitation for the venting not every heater is the same ?

Comment

It usually depends on how far of a run and how many bends are used. A 2" vent is fine if it meets the manufactures specs. The way you describe it it sound like it is fine but i would read the manufactures venting requirements to be sure.

Comment

I would not worry about it yet. Find out what the developed legnth of pipe is allowed to be in 2 inch. I bet she is still in factory specs.

Comment

forget the 2'' vent, where have you been hiding the last 2 months tool

i was getting worried about my meal ticket phoebe was asking too

small btu heaters are common to be 2'' when the developed length is short. normally if there was an issue, the temper mental electronics and blower would have shut it down.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

She has many friends in this neighborhood. Other homes will be checked. The right thing will happen.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Live n learn . Manuf. lists 2 " P.V.C. OK . Tanks Tool

Comment

HMMMM I thought you need 4" for a power vent. I will ask the Master tomorrow when I see him.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                    HMMMM I thought you need 4" for a power vent. I will ask the Master tomorrow when I see him.
                    Tanks ,town is sandwich

Comment

I install a lot of power vent water heaters because of our basements and all of them have been installed with 2" PVC.

Comment

Thanks, I see they're common in full basement homes in Mass. TWO Daughters there have them. I see the 40 gal. Oj Smith is good for up to 40 ft. Deduct 5' for each 90 .

Comment

Many power vent heaters can go from 3 inch to 2 inch and r all with in the specs and perfectly legal as long as u follow the manufacture instructions. It's all about the run and fittings.
                          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Working...
                          X