Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moen Diverter with Posi Temp Cartridge

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
    Look I understand what your saying and I dont even have the problem. Throw a gauge on it and see if it builds pressure...if it builds pressure you have a leak.
    He probably understands as well. I want to know the setup in case I missed something myself.

J.C.

Comment

Original set up. Moen tub and shower valve, posi temp . Won't stop dripping. Contacted moen , tried many cartridge replacements still dripping , had handheld on it from home depot. Was sent a new diverter in case the casting was a little off from factory ( one valve only )Handheld removed with regular stock moen shower head installed and still drips out of tub spout. Pressure measured at 78 at hose bib so with friction loss to second floor would make it less then that so this is not an issue. This is now second diverter installed with same problem. Chances of having 2 valves bad slim to none but won't say impossible. Working with rep to see is there is a bad shipment of castings which is possible. I have installed many many , never had this issue. The other bathroom has the old chateau with no issues. It a sweat valve, cartridge was pulled while heated and flushed many times.
      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        He probably understands as well. I want to know the setup in case I missed something myself.

J.C.
        Well let me tell you from the jump that he is calling a rough tub/shower valve a diverter valve.

Comment

JC look at some of his posts. It's not hard to pick out people who know everything.
          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            Well let me tell you from the jump that he is calling a rough tub/shower valve a diverter valve.
            This is what had me confused.

Fred, do you have a standard Moen Posi-Temp with a diverter spout?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

That's what we call them here, cause it can divert water from tub to shower. U r amazing, lol.
              The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Yes , that's exactly what it is.
                The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                  That's what we call them here, cause it can divert water from tub to shower. U r amazing, lol.
                  Does it have a diverter spout? Can it divert water without a diverter spout?

Comment

No , that's pretty petty but what u don't now is that's what the plumbers in MD ask for at supply houses. Bring some substance .
                    The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Good lord. 30 some posts in for this?!?!?

Take the hose off, if it won't stop dripping it's the cartridge.

If the cartridge don't fix it, it's the valve casting.

You've probably done both.

You can plug the showerarm and gauge the spout to confirm it all.

Even take picture of the gauge or make a short YouTube video for them if you want to go to the trouble.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

I just scrapped out a bunch of brand new moen faucets that came from resets from home depot. I picked them up for next to nothing.

I tried to remove a pressure balanced cartridge from a moen posi-temp tub/shower faucet,

tried everything to get the NEW cartridge out, tried even a screwdriver to pry it out which ended up breaking the tabs on this new cartridge. SCREW IT. If I can't get even new cartridges to pull from a new faucet, no wonder I was scrapping that valve.

Cut my hand as well in the process, leaving a bad memory again. Made for a heavy chunk of brass in my scrap buckets!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2a729cdbb1f62c099424af84d8bcf15f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	13558
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks JC , I appreciate it. It's hard to be humble , especially on Easter.
                          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Thanks Dunbar ! I think I have 2 bad valves at this point even though it's rare. It can happen though, see it with some toilets one time . The whole shipment was bad. The manger at supply house says he has seen it many times.
                            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

This thread would be short but .... LOL
                              The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                                Thanks Dunbar ! I think I have 2 bad valves at this point even though it's rare. It can happen though, see it with some toilets one time . The whole shipment was bad. The manger at supply house says he has seen it many times.

Anytime I have a customer that has asked me to repair/rebuild a tub/shower valve that has those handhelds?

I tell them to turn off the hot first, then let cold run through that valve before shutting it off.

Thermal expansion will have water growing out of that fixture, depending on how hot the water was when it was turned off.

Plus, those hoses are contracting/minimizing in inside diameter when going from 105-110 degrees back down to room temperature. All of these can produce that leaking you speak of.

If they don't believe me, I disconnect the hose, run cold... leak stops instantly.
                                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                                X