X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Natural gas valves

I am installing a fair share of Earth Quake shut off valves.
    I use the California valve. I weld up My own uni strut L shaped Brace to the home. I find the old Gas valves real stiff most of the time. I back off the brass nut spray in P.B. penetrating oil and keep rotating it until it's serviceable. I then tighten it until I see no bubbles from the test solution. I install a galvy hook and new shut off wrench at the valve location. This was taught to Me By a master plumber that is a friend and neighbor. I have the homeowners reset the unit after I set it off with a boot kick. Having them first close the gas valve. I also install a metal chain and tag on the main water shut off having any teenagers present. Good chance they may be home alone after school ,If something blows. Any input appreciated. Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Frozen Natural gas valves

tool all sounds good except you shouldn't be screwing with the gas company's shut off valve. no problem turning it off, but taking it apart and spraying miracle juice to it is a no no.

if you know they're an issue, have the gas company fix them in a way acceptable to them.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick P.S. I would NEVER take the cock apart ! I only back the nut off slightly and spray P.B. on either end
      while rotating it. He learned this from A P.G.E. employee , and has been doing it for years.
      Last edited by toolaholic; 04-21-2011, 09:34 AM. Reason: misconseption
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

In my experience, most valves loosen up after being cycled on and off. I wouldn't take any chances with taking them apart and I also gotta wonder if spraying them with penetrating oil would mess with the seals of the valve?
        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
          In my experience, most valves loosen up after being cycled on and off. I wouldn't take any chances with taking them apart and I also gotta wonder if spraying them with penetrating oil would mess with the seals of the valve?
          Gas valves use a special grease so your oil is a bad idea.

Comment

Kill the street cock, remove the offending valve, and replace with a new SS valve that has Teflon seats.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
              Kill the street cock, remove the offending valve, and replace with a new SS valve that has Teflon seats.
              In most places you dont replace the providers valves and they are not to be worked on. I would never even touch a main valve in the street on gas unless instructed in writing to do so or theres an emergency situation.

Comment

the gas co has a special jet sweet type tool that goes into the wedge type cock and will expand allowing them to replace the valve under pressure. a pretty cool tool.

seen it done and i was impressed

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, have you got a photo of this tool. Also what size inlet pipes are you dealing with. Over here new high pressure lines are obviously smaller whereas the older lower pressure are bigger

Comment

it's a spin off of a jet sweet. but instead of a round rubber plug, it's rectangular to fit the wedge opening of the gas valve. 3/4'' riser is typical of the gas main from the city high pressure main.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Guys , won't use the J.B. anymore . I'll still loosen the nut a little and work it till it's reasonable ,then bubble test. Where I live and work We have 3/4" steel risers at the homes feeding the meters.
                      Most are a bear to turn.

Comment

Working...
                      X