Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Bein Played by GC

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    No...has nothing to do with flat rate or T&M, because those methods can give a price both ways.

Bring out the Plumber,Electrcian etc... to give a price on the job is what I'm saying. The GC shouldn't automatically assume that the price he reads in a book,online, or on software is the going rate in our industry.
    Oh I thought it had to do with pricing the job out of a book....because with T&M theres really no way to give an exact price upfront other than the cost of the labor plus the cost and mark up of the materials,whatever it may come to.

On the other hand I would assume just because I got 3 prices I have received the going rate in the industry. For example if I called 3 franchise companies i wouldn't get the going rate...I would get the going rate of 3 different or the same price books.

Comment

Face it. 99% of plumbers allow contractors and homeowners to set their prices for them. They are so afraid of being the most expensive guy in town that they all continue to undercut each other until nobody is making anything.
      sigpic

Comment

I have never done a job for a GC that told me what to charge and it will never happen. I bid out my jobs for all GC. They give me the plans and I give them a bid. If they accept my bid they sign a contract which states when I get paid.

I just got done with one last night. Three days complete re-pipe. He had his gophers rip out all the plumbing in the entire home all the way down to the 4" cast iron stub in the basement, and the water service in the basement at the shut off. Did the complete DWV in one day, Viega pex the next, set all fixtures and made connections yesterday. He'll meet me Monday morning at 8am to get paid.

Comment

One of the smartest things we have ever done is to stop caring whether or not we do jobs for contractors.
          sigpic

Comment

My Son is doing an addition right now. We live and build in a seismic zone, [Bay area]. The driller [ 18" peir holes] was into hard rock. this
            is always in His Bid, longer than 5 Minutes per ft., is an extra charge.
            He gets paid more money,no sweat. It's in the contract to the customer. If You knew My Son You'd want to work for Him. Straight Shooter. Not all Generals are out to screw You!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              My Son is doing an addition right now. We live and build in a seismic zone, [Bay area]. The driller [ 18" peir holes] was into hard rock. this
              is always in His Bid, longer than 5 Minutes per ft., is an extra charge.
              He gets paid more money,no sweat. It's in the contract to the customer. If You knew My Son You'd want to work for Him. Straight Shooter. Not all Generals are out to screw You!
              Oh I for sure agree. Some contractors are the best to work for but there are alot of bad ones....I would say 75% of them here are a no go...the other 25% dont bounce around their business that much,they find one company and thats who does their work. I work for a couple one man show and two man show G.C's and they are great to work for. They carry a checkbook with them and will pay me whenever I want.

Comment

An important factor in all this . Some areas we live in Have a higher Per capita income. This makes life a lot easier for tradesman in that Local. It's not a good , bad Guy situation, just the way it is. When I lived
                back East,I survived in the winter with My snow plows. Wood shingling a Cape Cod house, on the water, in freezing weather, is slow and not too profitable. Dumb luck Got Me where I am now! Lot of Luck in this life.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would rather do work for GC's than HO's You just need to know how to handle them & be picky who you do work for. I had one I would not work for even if they paid me up front. They were the biggest POS contractor around here & the local press loved them. Until they went out of business in 2009The Project Manager is usually the key to getting paid & paid on time. I could write a book on the ways GC's mess you. The top (2) are
                  We have not been paid by the owner ( Call me when you have money for me & I'll send someone back out )
                  We don't have that in the job we will make it up on the next job (Ok pay for this job & I'll make it to you on the one)
                  And don't forget Owner's Rep's they are the worst.

Comment

Working...
                  X