Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Bein Played by GC

I bid on WH Install GC Buys "everything" at $150.00

GC "says" Plumber did 60 mile Round trip and Soldered it in and Charged $50.00 all Inclusive

I say BS ! Tampa Bay Area ...

Re: 'Bein Played by GC

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
    I bid on WH Install GC Buys "everything" at $150.00

GC "says" Plumber did 60 mile Round trip and Soldered it in and Charged $50.00 all Inclusive

I say BS ! Tampa Bay Area ...
    Ask the GC for his plumbers name and number so you can sub work to him.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Going to bid a rehab I'll see him Tomorrow ...

I expect major Back peddling when I ask him that ...

Comment

I dunno. These days with the economy and all, there are a whole lot of unlicensed station wagon plumbers willing to work for beer money.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry this is your environment. He doesn't deserve your labor.
          Time to lose Him
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

IMHO, GC's are like home builders, nothing but check writers. They get all the licensed contractors to do all the work for nothing, when they make all the money..... last GC I worked for, ground up gym in Irving, TX, said that he lost money once the job was finished. We finished the job last year this time, it took him till last November to pay the supply bill (they wanted to pay them directly), he paid the bill, but not the finance charges, so now the supply house has MY ACCOUNT ON HOLD, looking for me to pay the bill..... oh, I forgot to tell you, HE STILL OWES ME OVER 5K FOR THE LABOR, and he traded in his Ford Expedition on a NEW HUMMER........ so i'm taking him to small claims court, and i'll pleade my case to the Judge.
            I think there all nothing but USED CAR SALESMEN!

Comment

Originally posted by txmasterplumber View Post
              IMHO, GC's are like home builders, nothing but check writers. They get all the licensed contractors to do all the work for nothing, when they make all the money..... last GC I worked for, ground up gym in Irving, TX, said that he lost money once the job was finished. We finished the job last year this time, it took him till last November to pay the supply bill (they wanted to pay them directly), he paid the bill, but not the finance charges, so now the supply house has MY ACCOUNT ON HOLD, looking for me to pay the bill..... oh, I forgot to tell you, HE STILL OWES ME OVER 5K FOR THE LABOR, and he traded in his Ford Expedition on a NEW HUMMER........ so i'm taking him to small claims court, and i'll pleade my case to the Judge.
              I think there all nothing but USED CAR SALESMEN!
              I hate all General Contractors ! Except My Son and Myself.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've only worked for one GC and that's all it took. They try to get you to do work for dirt cheap when they're already charging the customer more than you're usual rate for the job.
                Ideal Plumbing

Comment

That was funny Tool. Like your attitude. I understand what u r saying.
                  The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                    That was funny Tool. Like your attitude. I understand what u r saying.
                    The Ca allows Brian [ 40 years old Son ] and I to do most trades.
                    I feel I do a neat to code job on it all. I sub out very little. I see the
                    hack work many of these G.C. DO. I also see the games they play with subs. I am friends with all the guys at the TWO Plumb. supply houses I trade at. A large aggressive plumber got in My face Yesterday about being a G.C. that does plumbing. Never saw Him before, doesn't know Me or My work. I got in His face,and asked Him out side. He declined and backed off real fast in front of the
                    Supply Guys He was Berating. I'm 68 But work 6 days with the tools almost every week. He was about 50. Not all G.C S are dicks,
                    Just to many of them. Rant over.

Comment

One of the things I hate most about GC's are...they will give a price for the plumbing to be done, without even getting a price off of a plumber. Since when do they know what it costs a plumber to run their own business?

The majority of GC's are dishonest.

Comment

My son has an expensive software program, Mine is in book form.
                        I was surprised at the generous allowances for the plumbers.
                        I do His plumbing on His projects and am very happy. I'll share the latest re pipe bid later. And If a Gen. bids a job low that should NEVER be the plumbers problem. DON'T LET IT BE !

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          My son has an expensive software program, Mine is in book form.
                          I was surprised at the generous allowances for the plumbers.
                          I do His plumbing on His projects and am very happy. I'll share the latest re pipe bid later. And If a Gen. bids a job low that should NEVER be the plumbers problem. DON'T LET IT BE !
                          No offense, but that's the reason why many Plumbers in my area don't do work for GC's. I understand fully why you use it, but it's much better to take the Plumber out to the job so he can see it, rather than use a book or software to determine price.

If any GC wants our services, we REQUIRE to deal with the home owner directly money wise, which usually means we don't get the job in the end. It's a deal breaker for our money to go through the GC himself...we just don't play those games anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            No offense, but that's the reason why many Plumbers in my area don't do work for GC's. I understand fully why you use it, but it's much better to take the Plumber out to the job so he can see it, rather than use a book or software to determine price.

If any GC wants our services, we REQUIRE to deal with the home owner directly money wise, which usually means we don't get the job in the end. It's a deal breaker for our money to go through the GC himself...we just don't play those games anymore.
                            Basically your telling Toolaholic that you dont want to be flat rated from a book. I agree.

I also will only deal with a select few general contractors. The ones I deal with usually do not worry about cost because the more I charge the more they actually make anyway. They add 20% of my bid to the cost of the job. So the more I charge them the more they charge th customer.

Most general contractors I do not wish to work for. They cry about your price and after the job is over and you hafta chase down the final payment you get the "I didn't even make any money on this one" crap while in his plaid shirt,kaki shorts and deck shoes and looking at his blackberry every 20 seconds. Those punks realize on the phone they cant F with me so I usually dont work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              Basically your telling Toolaholic that you dont want to be flat rated from a book. I agree.
                              No...has nothing to do with flat rate or T&M, because those methods can give a price both ways.

Bring out the Plumber,Electrcian etc... to give a price on the job is what I'm saying. The GC shouldn't automatically assume that the price he reads in a book,online, or on software is the going rate in our industry.

Comment

Working...
                              X