X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burst Job From Hell!

Wow I am really tired will have more updates as I get time. Here are a few pics from the bursting job, all was good till after the pics where taken. Got the line in no problem but after it was in before we could make the street connection a tsunami I kid you not flooded the front pit out of no where. We had already controlled the water for days because this is a natural stream underneath the block we where working and it has rained a lot since we started. The water table is very high so we pump, we vac, we work then repeat. Everything was fine then this huge amount of water just rolled in fast, and I mean fast (not raining) Like a fire hydrant. We thought the main water line broke. Anyway we got the 4 yards of mud out and the water slowed back to normal and made the sewer connection.
    Attached Files
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Burst Job From Hell!

I assume some really dirty pics are coming.

(4 yards of mud isn't clean)

You have some interesting equipment.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I am unfamiliar with this process. U don't see it in MD much. Could you explain, how it works , when you should do it vs other ways , equipment and cost. Thanks
      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
        Wow I am really tired will have more updates as I get time. Here are a few pics from the bursting job, all was good till after the pics where taken. Got the line in no problem but after it was in before we could make the street connection a tsunami I kid you not flooded the front pit out of no where. We had already controlled the water for days because this is a natural stream underneath the block we where working and it has rained a lot since we started. The water table is very high so we pump, we vac, we work then repeat. Everything was fine then this huge amount of water just rolled in fast, and I mean fast (not raining) Like a fire hydrant. We thought the main water line broke. Anyway we got the 4 yards of mud out and the water slowed back to normal and made the sewer connection.
        Did You have to get a permit to block off the street ?? Impressive equept .and operation
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
          I am unfamiliar with this process. U don't see it in MD much. Could you explain, how it works , when you should do it vs other ways , equipment and cost. Thanks
          E mail Rick, He has 3 new setups in His home never even opened! Better Yet contact Joey !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Still working on this one, problem is the old line was seperated at the joints and the line acted like a french drain taking the water to the city sewer, the water table is higher than the sewer line, now the water has nowhere to go but it is still flowing to where it has gone in the past. Tool as for the permits we got a street use permit to stage the equipment at the site. It kinda sucks that we fixed the sewer only to create another problem oh mother nature at work.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

The way it works is 2 pits are made one is the entrance point for the pipe (HDPE) to be pulled into place, 2nd pit is the pulling pit where the pipe burster is placed to hydraulicly pull the new sewer in, it has a large cone that breaks the sewer apart and attached to the cone is the HDPE pipe so as it breaks the old pipe new pipe is pulled in behind it till you get back to the pulling pit. Since this line is shared and has downspout lines connecting in various places we have to have pits at those points to tie in the old lines to the new sewer.
              In this job I can not imagine even using trenching to replace the pipe as the cost would be crazy to control the water and mud. Bursting works if the old line (the host) has good grade as the new pipe will mimic the original line. But slight bellies are ok as the HDPE pipe is slippery more than concrete or clay or cast iron. The HDPE is really really cool pipe.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I am unfamiliar with this process. U don't see it in MDment up cloe. much. Could you explain, how it works , when you should do it vs other ways , equipment and cost. Thanks
                here is a thread of a 78' trenchless i did a few years ago with pictures.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ght=trenchless

shows the similar equipment. difference is mine uses 5/8'' grade 100 chain and cudas uses 7/8'' cable.

pretty much a tug of war. sometimes the machine wins and sometimes the ditch wins

but with the proper planning and prep work, it tends to work perfectly

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  here is a thread of a 78' trenchless i did a few years ago with pictures.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ght=trenchless

shows the similar equipment. difference is mine uses 5/8'' grade 100 chain and cudas uses 7/8'' cable.

pretty much a tug of war. sometimes the machine wins and sometimes the ditch wins

but with the proper planning and prep work, it tends to work perfectly

rick.
                  Rick I just reread that thread, funny part I said " OK Rick I will listen to you on not getting into bursting" And what do I do I got into bursting
                  I just kept running into jobs that trenching was not the answer and people with a burster could low bid me because I had to rip up the hardscape and repair it and they didn't have to so they would win the job. But like you said it is very hard on the body. But even using the mini excavator and doing a sewer is hard work on the body also.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I consider every trenchless job, a job from hell.

But it is growing on me, we use I don't know what the hell it's called. But I think it is made from every piece of metal from the Titanic.

My only concern is with the fusing process leaving the bead on the inside of the pipe. I always reem (ream?) every other type of pipe to REMOVE this sort of thing...

Comment

Tric tools sells a bead reamer, like a hole saw on 1/2" pipe with a drill chuck adapter. Some inspectors want it reamed others don't.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Cud and Rick thanks so much for all the info. A friend of mine got a price from rooter using the bursting method. I am not familiar with it. I told him it doesn't sound right to me. I learn something new everyday. U guys r good !
                        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Cuda thanks so much . You guys are good ! I learned a lot.
                          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Cuda you will have to let me know when your doing another one. Ive been thinking about getting into this. If I have time i'd like to head up your way and check it out
                            Mike
                            Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                            www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Working...
                            X