Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 1/4" gas service reduced to 3/4"

Appt. building. service is 1 1/4",rises to 3/4' fitting,changes to 1 1/4"
    manifold. Doesn't this mean the service is only 3/4"? Tanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 1 1/4" gas service reduced to 3/4"

Waaars the regulator?
    sigpic

Comment

You are limited to the volume that the 3/4 can flow at the given pressure. So yes is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        You are limited to the volume that the 3/4 can flow at the given pressure. So yes is the answer.
        The 'service' is on the customer side so you would need to answer which side of the regulator / meter the 3/4" is on.... You are not able to answer the question by the information provided. NHMaster has asked the key question

Comment

All our standard meters(after the reg. are tres quarto).I've seen the gas co. pipe 3'-0" from regulator,meter and connect to 1-1/2" wall service.
          27 years of this.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
            The 'service' is on the customer side so you would need to answer which side of the regulator / meter the 3/4" is on.... You are not able to answer the question by the information provided. NHMaster has asked the key question
            I disagree. I answered the question based on the information given. I simply stated that the 3/4 will only allow so much volume to flow AT THE GIVEN PRESSURE. So the answer is yes. I capitalized the keywords. That means its universal between the high or low pressure sides.

Comment

I disagree. I answered the question based on the information given. I simply stated that the 3/4 will only allow so much volume to flow AT THE GIVEN PRESSURE. So the answer is yes. I capitalized the keywords. That means its universal between the high or low pressure sides.
              The question was {Doesn't this mean the Service is 3/4?} this question can only be answered by the position of the 3/4 in relation to the regulator / meter. Service refers to the customer side since distribution / supply side size is irrelevant... The gas company describes their lines by pressure (ounces or lbs) not typically by physical size

The question IMO is if the 3/4 is reducing the capacity of the system on the 1 1/4, the answer is yes but only if it is downstream of the regulator / meter since a domestic service is limited to ounces a 3/4 reduction would be a limiting factor since you can't raise a typical services operating pressure BUT on the distribution side a 3/4 reduction is irrelevant as the supply side pressure can be raised to the structural limits of the pipe and the limits of the connected regulators. So, as the question pertains specifically to a gas distribution system and not to the simple flow characteristics of a 3/4 inch fitting versus an 1 1/4 I stand by my statement that you are mistaken
              Last edited by OkieBill; 05-01-2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

And here we go again.

Comment

Ya'll like pancakes?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Ya'll like pancakes?

J.C.

And waffles..Mmmmmm
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I haven't had pancakes in forever. Just popped in my head. Got sick on them one time at a Hardees.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        The question was {Doesn't this mean the Service is 3/4?} this question can only be answered by the position of the 3/4 in relation to the regulator / meter. Service refers to the customer side since distribution / supply side size is irrelevant... The gas company describes their lines by pressure (ounces or lbs) not typically by physical size

The question IMO is if the 3/4 is reducing the capacity of the system on the 1 1/4, the answer is yes but only if it is downstream of the regulator / meter since a domestic service is limited to ounces a 3/4 reduction would be a limiting factor since you can't raise a typical services operating pressure BUT on the distribution side a 3/4 reduction is irrelevant as the supply side pressure can be raised to the structural limits of the pipe and the limits of the connected regulators. So, as the question pertains specifically to a gas distribution system and not to the simple flow characteristics of a 3/4 inch fitting versus an 1 1/4 I stand by my statement that you are mistaken
                        Domestic service is not limited to ounces unless you convert it from pounds. The customers side can be med pressure or low pressure with regulators in between so the meter reg may not be the only reg in the system.

But anyway you look at it the 3/4 is the limiting factor either with the customers meter service or the supply service. Thats why I said at the given pressure,that covers both sides.

Comment

Maaaaan, I hate it when I miss stuff....

Now I gotta go back and read all the old threads to get the joke though i think i get it.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Appt. building. service is 1 1/4",rises to 3/4' fitting,changes to 1 1/4"
                            manifold. Doesn't this mean the service is only 3/4"? Tanks Tool
                            I think based on the information in your question it would be wrong to call the "service" on the outlet of the meter 3/4" OR 1-1/4".

Referring to NG sizing in regards to the size of the pipes may be incorrect without taking everything into account in regards to the layout, volume calculation, AND pressure provided.

No?

Pancakes?

J.C.

Comment

Domestic service is not limited to ounces unless you convert it from pounds. The customers side can be med pressure or low pressure with regulators in between so the meter reg may not be the only reg in the system.

But anyway you look at it the 3/4 is the limiting factor either with the customers meter service or the supply service. Thats why I said at the given pressure,that covers both sides.

Ahhhh yes I see now

I like pancakes as well JC, though I don't believe I ever had them at Hardees..

Comment

Working...
                              X