X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bigger Company Sewer Ripoffs

If you're talking about the longer "frost free sillcocks" that we have around here then no way would I even attempt to repair one that was split. It needs to be replaced imo. If I'm going to go through all the effort to remove it then why even try repairing it? Maybe we're not talking about the same thing?

Also, I'm not charging enough with all the costs of business going up. I'm not saying rip them off but 250 to 350 is not out of the question for replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
      If you're talking about the longer "frost free sillcocks" that we have around here then no way would I even attempt to repair one that was split. It needs to be replaced imo. If I'm going to go through all the effort to remove it then why even try repairing it? Maybe we're not talking about the same thing?

Also, I'm not charging enough with all the costs of business going up. I'm not saying rip them off but 250 to 350 is not out of the question for replacement.
      I think you're right. I need to do some homework too. With gas at $4.00 a gallon, supplies & fixtures have a standard price increase yearly, insurances, and all of the other stuff......I think everyone is probably below where they should be and possible have adjusted for this unknowingly.

In short, increase pricing accordingly.

J.C.

Comment

yeah, I never repair freeze damage on a silcock either, I just replace them. I also charge considerably less than 250 to do it.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Most are not accessible to repair in place here.So when I cut it loose..Might as well swap it out and make sure it has pitch this time too.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post

No we are talking about the same thing. If I had to guess, I would say the sillcock was 6"-8" long, and the split was accessible from inside the kitchen sink base. There was no need to un-sweat and take it out, when it could be easily repaired in place.

I always give the option to the homeowner whether it's repaired or replaced, unless it's quite obvious it needs to be replaced. Replacing something old with new doesn't take as much skill as repairing does imo. But that's the way I was taught, and I find some people prefer to have things repaired versus replaced. You and I just have a different approach is all.

But then again, you have a company like A.Y. McDonald who is a pain in the a$$ to deal with to get repair parts from, and Proflow is even worse, as the ferguson around me doesn't even carry repair parts for their own sillcocks. Woodford parts are easily available around here for the most part.

Installing a brand new sillcock doesn't come with any type of warranty from me or you due to homeowner error of leaving a garden hose hooked up causing it to split. Believe it or not I have a few customers who constantly leave their hoses hooked up through the winter, and installing a brand new faucet once a year would be ridiculous imo. If i told them they needed a brand new sillcock each and every time, my competition might say other wise and repair it on the spot, and make me look like a douchebag in the meantime. But I get what you're saying.

Comment

I Love those customers, new hosebibbs once a year, and flushable wipes every 2-3 months.

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              Believe it or not I have a few customers who constantly leave their hoses hooked up through the winter, and installing a brand new faucet once a year would be ridiculous imo
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                I Love those customers, new hosebibbs once a year, and flushable wipes every 2-3 months.
                I had 1 customer who I went to 4 years in a row for the same sillcock, because she constantly forgot to unhook the hose on it. But I guess with having 4 kids and chaos around the house, it's easy to forget I guess.

Comment

I personally love RR cause they make every body else look good.
                  And in some cases opinions on prices is just that a opinion.
                  Far as i know they have a successful business and yes i do agree some charges seem way out of line.
                  But last time i look in the mirror i was getting older and really not that much richer and alot of body aches to go with that.
                  Customer are just like cats at times, some are loyal and some just want the thing fix.
                  Plumbing is a dirty job and i find that most customers do not take good advice in maintaining their plumbing.
                  Bottom line its all about the dollars to them and to us.
                  Nice to be nice to the people who really thank you for the job but most just want you gone and problem fix.
                  I do also find myself doing free work at times for little old ladys but that a good thing.

Comment

Here's how a phone call started the other day:

My brother: "Hello?"

Customer: "Do you guys do septics?"

Brother: "Yes, we do."

Customer: "Well I just asked Unnamed Competitior's to leave my property. I called them to come clean my septic tank. I didn't like the way they attacked me with a carefully planned scheme to get more and more of my money and I need a second opinion."

This is how he answered the phone, mind you! Hear it all the time though, sad but true.

Comment

Working...
                    X