X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Company Sewer Ripoffs

Had a member in another region of the country ask me about local bigger companies(my case out here) scaring customers into replacing sewers when all they had was a few roots that could be cleaned out every few years.

If they can talk the customer into unnecessary trenchless the cash cow really pays off.

Last weekend I had to scare off a big company that had already gotten $7,000 out of an acquaintance's elderly mother.Once they had the street end excavated they told her she had to spend another $10,000.None of it was true.

Supply house manager tells me it is the same with al the bigger companies.Kid goes out to fake an attempt at clearing a line,tells the homeowner he needs to consult his supervisor.
    Supervisor is only a sewer salesman,a deal closer.Sometimes not even a plumber.

Obviously this is now a nationwide epidemic with people going to new levels of frequency to rip off the community.

Re: Bigger Company Sewer Ripoffs

Yes, over $2900 for a 50 Gal Nat Gas Water Heater ! We need to unite, and do a public service announcement for the small Local
    tradesman in Your area. I'll throw in $40.00,anyone else ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

adam, unfortunately until the public becomes more informed and better educated, this will continue. all it takes is for them to land 10% of the calls and they are way ahead of the game.

i've run off many a scammers with just a consultation phone call.

eventually they will be busted and have to start all over again.

keep up the good work and believe me, your customers will recommend you to others.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

yep sure sounds like the national way they do it the same everywhere. One thing I have to point out, when the roots get in liquids are also getting out of the pipe and given enough time this can make a belly then the line has to be excavated costing more than if the customer had taken care of it with the trenchless method when the problem was discovered. I look at every line it's age then make my decision as to what needs to be done. Age of the line is a big deal to me.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

why do all the new forum softwares coming out remove the thanks button? I like the thanks button
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

It seems some larger shops will have one or two real plumbers but send a bunch of unskilled kids out at a plumbers rate. Then when the kids are unable to do the job a plumber comes out as the closer and then it is Katie bar the doors.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I've 'saved' many a customers in my day...

Guess what?

No where to be found. I'm a memory. I cannot remember their name, they cannot remember mine. That's just the way it is.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                adam, unfortunately until the public becomes more informed and better educated, this will continue. all it takes is for them to land 10% of the calls and they are way ahead of the game.

i've run off many a scammers with just a consultation phone call.

eventually they will be busted and have to start all over again.

keep up the good work and believe me, your customers will recommend you to others.

rick.
                Thank you for the backup buddy I don't know what I would do without you
                The $15.00 illegal alien handyman is the only word of mouth traveling fast around here.
                I do like having people honking and waving with a smile.They use state funded migrants until they need professional equipment.
                You yourself say you don't do hardly any more plumbing calls.Your all about drains now.

This is why companies are taking advantage of people.Hardcore times,Hardcore scams

Comment

Alzheimer patient....

My next door neighbor, a older lady with alzheimer's needed some help with her disposal. I have done plenty of work for her, mostly small jobs for no cost at all. Her daughters, who control her money called a well known so cal big box plumbing company to "help" her. When I got home from work, their truck was parked outside of her home and after a couple hours they left. I knocked on the door and the housekeeper who knows me answered door. I asked her to see the work and she led me to the kitchen. Under the sink was a crappy disposal with the companies logo on it, but even more f'd up was the under sink dwv that was now all 22ga chrome! I asked to see the bill and was totally floored when I saw the amount of $780.00 dollars. 780 bucks when all she needed was a $130 disposal!! These arsholes are simply criminal. I contacted the daughters, but they never responded back. Sad.

Comment

Re: Alzheimer patient....

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                    My next door neighbor, a older lady with alzheimer's needed some help with her disposal. I have done plenty of work for her, mostly small jobs for no cost at all. Her daughters, who control her money called a well known so cal big box plumbing company to "help" her. When I got home from work, their truck was parked outside of her home and after a couple hours they left. I knocked on the door and the housekeeper who knows me answered door. I asked her to see the work and she led me to the kitchen. Under the sink was a crappy disposal with the companies logo on it, but even more f'd up was the under sink dwv that was now all 22ga chrome! I asked to see the bill and was totally floored when I saw the amount of $780.00 dollars. 780 bucks when all she needed was a $130 disposal!! These arsholes are simply criminal. I contacted the daughters, but they never responded back. Sad.
                    That's because they tell her it's going to be x amount get the credit card authorization ..Then whammo, the whole house needs re plumbed, doesn't meet code , that's extra, All that bull shi*, and it goes on and on
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Re: Alzheimer patient....

Hate the lack of a thanks button!

Both of the well know 'Rooters' Have done/do this around here.
                      One of them have a training seminar 'swat'.Stealing With Attitude Training.
                      (Really is a true thing) Where they are encouraged to sell digs for sewers that just need a cable cleaning.
                      Pull toilets that only need an augering.
                      This come on the heels of the Special High Intensity Training program for new "techs"
                      I worked at a rental property yesterday where the tenant had RR at another property on a Sat. afternoon
                      and his tab for a main line and floor drain cleaning was shy of $600. Regular job. 1 hour 10 minutes in and out the door.
                      When I quietly wondered about his decision making skills he explained he wasn't paying the tab and that owner was and
                      felt more comfortable with a "national brand". O.k.

Comment

Thanks for creating this thread ! Since we have no thanks button After getting a couple of calls like this I started to question my thinking and wanted to check in with my ridgid friends
                        I also laid out $150 for some faucet repair parts to keep up the " service and repair" integrity of our trade in my area . I have come from the flat rate plumbing selling world not a big national chain but all these principles were in place . Started with the forum a year before I left and starting trying to fix more problems then selling took more time invoice numbers started to drop also started correcting the secretarys telling them my master plumber/gasfitter license does not read "technician" it says plumber! I always find this forum extremely helpful however very frustrated learning that so much can be repaired where I was taught to sell .

Comment

Last week I had a sillcock to fix, as it's that time of year when the splits are found after having the garden hose hooked up to it all winter long.

When I arrived I could tell the lady was on the defense, and she showed me where the problem was. Now the house is only 3 years old, and I could see the split right away. I told her I could repair it in place, and she was shocked that I even said that, so I asked why.

This Rooter company said sillcock splits can't be repaired.

He wanted to replace the entire sillcock, and wanted to charge her $529.00 to do so. The $529.00 also included some type of service plan, and she flat out refused. Said he would drop it down to $485.00 without the service plan, and she said "No thanks" and had to pay $75.00 to get rid of him.

It took me 20 minutes and I was out the door with a check, and she was really happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            Last week I had a sillcock to fix, as it's that time of year when the splits are found after having the garden hose hooked up to it all winter long.

When I arrived I could tell the lady was on the defense, and she showed me where the problem was. Now the house is only 3 years old, and I could see the split right away. I told her I could repair it in place, and she was shocked that I even said that, so I asked why.

This Rooter company said sillcock splits can't be repaired.

He wanted to replace the entire sillcock, and wanted to charge her $529.00 to do so. The $529.00 also included some type of service plan, and she flat out refused. Said he would drop it down to $485.00 without the service plan, and she said "No thanks" and had to pay $75.00 to get rid of him.

It took me 20 minutes and I was out the door with a check, and she was really happy.
                            Sometimes I replace too. Sometimes I get my solder rub on. Just depends.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Sometimes I replace too. Sometimes I get my solder rub on. Just depends.
                              Same here..it depends on the how the original sillcock looks whether I replace or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X