X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cement lined Ducttile pipe

Heres one for the commercial guys and anyone else as old as me too I suppose. Have you ever seen or heard of LEAD wiped joints on 6" DICL pipe used on fire service.

I have just completed a repair where we thought it was, or at least should have been, a rubber ring joint. Anyhow the sluice valve was leaking and had to be replaced. Excavated the trench and cut the pipe with the faithful Ridgid 4 wheel cutter. Then thought we would put the strap on the valve and give it a tug, just a small one using the 1 1/2 tonner excavator. Machine is a bit old but what the heck, still reliable not to mention faithful. No way baby, this sucker was stuck firm. Investigate to find LEAD. give it a belt from left to right to loosen up and then put a 7tonner on it. still nothing. Ended up cutting the valve soket and breaking it away. Got this sucker off eventually and totally amazed to see how good a job the blokes who put this together did. Rang anotehr plumber today to ask what he thinks as far as timeframe, maybe 40+ since we have seen lead wiping. Always thought it was only done on sewer and waste, not fire/water mains.

Anyone want to educate me further please dont hold back.

Re: Cement lined Ducttile pipe

I dont see how you can wipe the joint, so Im pretty sure you mean packed and poured. We see it quite a bit on stuff in the ground but generally we see it with corporation (cement lined Cast Iron) pipe.

Comment

Most of the ductile water mains, industrial pump piping, etc.... get connected with Mega Lugs. Alot of the old stuff I have run in to is packed and poured.

Comment

Thankyou both for your input. thinking about it I think I have used the wrong terminology. I have it on the floor in my factory and it is a work of art. Mind you I say this becasue I have never seen this done before so I am basically in aw of the fact that this type of joint was done. I have always enjoyed learning different methods and I have always trained my apprentices the same way. Nowadays we use gibbos and flanges, even rubber ring push joints. We do have it a lot easier than the past but that doesnt mean our new ways are necessarily better of course. I rang a mate to ask his opinion on estimated age of this installation. He believes it could be in excess of 50yrs old. One problem we have is the records we used to have are basically gone. Maybe one day I will meet someone who can show me becasue I would dearly love to learn for the experience

Comment

Working...
        X