X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disposal holding water

went on a dishwasher call yesterday. very expensive dual compartment fisher paykel installed 3 years ago by the general contractor during a 200,000 remodel. the air gap was leaking during the drain cycle.

what i discovered amazed me

the disposal had standing water in the grind chamber just below the dishwasher air gap 7/8'' hose inlet. looked in the cabinet to find that the contractor using his own in house worker ruffed in the waste line way too high for the single compartment sink. normal is 13''above floor, they were 18'' and stubbed out 2'' abs. what they did was turn a 1/4 bend down and made a super deep trap seal. this causes the water seal to stay in full up to the dishwasher inlet.

not only did they do that, they also installed the air gap 180 degrees from the disposal inlet. this also causes a long drain hose that is no longer properly graded.

amazes me that not only did they screw up this, they also originally ran single wall venting on a tankless basement install.

city inspector is obviously clueless to plumbing codes.

cleaned out the hose and barb. wrote up the code issues and emailed it to the owner.

rick.

Attachment

dual compartment dishwasher.

Attachment

air gap on left side, should have been on right side to shorten the distance to the disposal connection.

Attachment

dual drain hoses that connect to the air gap with a tee connector.

Attachment

as you can see the trap weir is now even with the disposal grind chamber.

rick.
    Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: disposal holding water

Why are You surprised ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Why do they need dual drain hoses ..Huh..Yeah I guess the disposal will always be full wow!
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The tee in the wall needs to be lowered or the disposal removed and a basket installed in its place. I see that on a regular basis but its usually because they had a single bowl originally and converted to a double bowl and the pipe was roughed in higher.

Comment

That's a F&P design. Been here on one of my customers' houses.

I'm pretty sure that hose is installed WRONG also & the doubles should be in a vertical with included bracket. Callbacks a coming possibly.

And last I checked those F&P's had the worst repair % in the industry. Don't get the bottom wet or soapy.

(JUST LOOKED AT YOUR PICS AGAIN. NOT SURE HOW F&P DIAGRAMS CONNECTION TO A VB. SO IT MAY BE RIGHT. HERE....JUST A LOOP.)

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            Why do they need dual drain hoses ..Huh..Yeah I guess the disposal will always be full wow!
            it's basically 2 separate dishwashers. 2 pumps and 2 drains. therefore 2 drain hoses.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Soo....the disposal is basically part of the trap, yes? That's genius!!!!
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

See this situation all the time now, cause people want granite tops with DEEP under mount sinks, which makes the waste line too high.

I never seen one this deep pictured here, but we are allowed a maximum 4" trap seal.

The other problem is...these customers don't want to remove base cabinets to lower the drain pipe. They don't understand trap seals, and they feel as though the only major expense is the counter tops themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  it's basically 2 separate dishwashers. 2 pumps and 2 drains. therefore 2 drain hoses.

rick.
                  Guess 1 of anything is not good enough anymore..
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X