No announcement yet.

Dateline NBC Home Repair Scams 7 PM , Sunday 15th including a plumbing scam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dateline NBC Home Repair Scams 7 PM , Sunday 15th including a plumbing scam

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    Is this something new? Is this something that has not happened before and been done by virtually every sector of contracting? What about all the crooked lawyers, accountants, politicians, bankers and old Bernie Madoff himself not to mention all the crooked journalists most of which seem to be employed by MSNBC. It's a sensationalistic crap piece of reporting that in no way accurately represents the plumbing trade. Wonder how many honest plumbers showed up and never made it to film because that's not what sells is it?

Thank you. NH..All this bullshiI* does is makes everyone out there not trust any of us..True an honest guy would never make it on film.That's why when a customer doesn't need something I don't try and sell it..I try and SAVE my customers money and if it earns me their business in the future it's win win
    Last edited by OLD1; 05-14-2011, 08:58 AM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

NH Master I agree 100% I bet they had tons of plumbers come in and told them it was just the fitting leaking. I have ran into many calls where the customer told me their pre-rinse faucet is leaking like a sieve and they think they need a new one, and all it turned out was the spout washer nut was loose. Or they thought they had some other major issue and it was a very simple repair.

Is this something new? Is this something that has not happened before and been done by virtually every sector of contracting? What about all the crooked lawyers, accountants, politicians, bankers and old Bernie Madoff himself not to mention all the crooked journalists most of which seem to be employed by MSNBC. It's a sensationalistic crap piece of reporting that in no way accurately represents the plumbing trade. Wonder how many honest plumbers showed up and never made it to film because that's not what sells is it?
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I think when the entire show is aired we will see some honest contractors as well as the dishonest ones. I really believe it might be a lot worse then what we realize in some areas. I have a few stories of my own.

Called as a second opinion for water in the ceiling. When I got there there was a wet ceiling below a master bath with a custom tile shower base. House was on well water , but water suppy in cpvc.I went upstatirs to bathroom to check all valves, traps, toilet bowl, toilet tank ect.... The homeowner came upstairs and started talking to me and told me what the other plumber said. He told him custom shower base was no good and needed to be replaced it it's entirety. I still have not finished my check, looking at base and age of house I found that hard to believe. The next thing on my mind was, to pull the diverter plate off tile wall because lots of plumbers would use copper connections , then transition over to cpvc. This and the shower head was the last thing to check before cutting the ceiling. Sure enough I found a pinhole leak spraying from the copper. I asked the homeowner if he checked any of this. He said no. I could not believe it. This was a big company, advertised like crazy on television and I thought was a reputable company. I don't know if this guy was inexperienced or just wanted to make some good money. I have many more of these stories.

I am sure dateline will show the good guys also. It will be all different type contractors.

The car dealerships are the worse.
        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

But......had the shower base been replaced and the leak had continued, which it would have, how would things have worked out?
          sigpic

Comment

But......had the shower base been replaced and the leak had continued, which it would have, how would things have worked out?
            You are absolutely correct. I believe the plumber would have had to figure out a big cover for sure. It would have been interesting how he could justified his actions and hid this from the homeowner. He did call the company back and complained .
            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

I also think some of these guys are just simply not knowledgeable enough, and it can be confused with trying to rip someone off. But then again...how can you tell?

I know once in awhile I'll get tunnel vision and swear to myself that "this" is what's causing the problem, and find out it was something else. I think we all have been there at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                I also think some of these guys are just simply not knowledgeable enough, and it can be confused with trying to rip someone off. But then again...how can you tell?

I know once in awhile I'll get tunnel vision and swear to myself that "this" is what's causing the problem, and find out it was something else. I think we all have been there at one point.

Flux u r absolutely correct. That has happened to me before.
                The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Yep nobodies perfect ...
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                    Yep nobodies perfect ...
                    Amen to that !
                    The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

There's a big difference between selling and ripping off. If I go to a water heater call and it's leaking from the water connection I will tell them I can fix it and here's the charge, no problem. If it's an older water heater I won't guarantee the repair and I WILL try and sell them a new water heater. Nothing wrong with that, but you HAVE to give them the OPTION to fix or repair. Give the customer the option and have them make the decision. I always give options, most of the time I will sell a new water heater.

Comment

Oh and thanks for the link. I have the program set on my DVR for tomorrow.

Comment

This thread already has 36,443 views
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                            There's a big difference between selling and ripping off. If I go to a water heater call and it's leaking from the water connection I will tell them I can fix it and here's the charge, no problem. If it's an older water heater I won't guarantee the repair and I WILL try and sell them a new water heater. Nothing wrong with that, but you HAVE to give them the OPTION to fix or repair. Give the customer the option and have them make the decision. I always give options, most of the time I will sell a new water heater.
                            I know what you mean. Age and many other things play into it. Options are always great.

The show should be good I hope. Should see some real characters.
                            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

I thought the show was pretty one sided and weak. It showed some scammers and only one guy who did everything right on the garage door, they did not give him much praise. Overall I thought it stunk.
                              The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

I also just watched the show. So they loosened the nut on the water supply of an electric water heater. Which in my mind could cause extra damage by having water leak down into the jacket, into the electrical connections etc. They had it leaking for hours. Great job Dateline, I hope you bought them a new water heater. Which is what was diagnosed anyway, DUH!

Comment

Working...
                                X