Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dateline NBC Home Repair Scams 7 PM , Sunday 15th including a plumbing scam

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
    I also just watched the show. So they loosened the nut on the water supply of an electric water heater. Which in my mind could cause extra damage by having water leak down into the jacket, into the electrical connections etc. They had it leaking for hours. Great job Dateline, I hope you bought them a new water heater. Which is what was diagnosed anyway, DUH!
    The heater could have been 15 years old. When do people replace there heaters? If that nut came loose and the heater was old, I would have recommended replacement but would also tighten but would not be responsible if anything else happened. I think the plumbing scenario had a lot of holes. The one guy wasting time walking around was an idiot. LOL they were shady but a good honest guy with no BS would said replace also. Why didn't they show any of those guys? You have a good point about the water and the electric also.
    The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

so true that scenario was kind of bogaus how in real life does a nut come loose on a water heater like that plus if that water was lealing down the side and into the electrical canpartment now the big question is did they bust a few bad plumbers or realy sc#$w that lady by useing her as a giny pig I hope they reaplaced that water heater the other thing is all the fiberglass insalation was soaked and probably sunk
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
        so true that scenario was kind of bogaus how in real life does a nut come loose on a water heater like that plus if that water was lealing down the side and into the electrical canpartment now the big question is did they bust a few bad plumbers or realy sc#$w that lady by useing her as a giny pig I hope they reaplaced that water heater the other thing is all the fiberglass insalation was soaked and probably sunk
        I agree, terrible scenario ! They need to do a series of shows and show some honest contractors. If you show all dishonest contractors and bogus scenarios then people think all contractors are somewhat questionable .
        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

time out guys. the heater is 3 years old and has at least a 6 year warranty. there was no signs of rust or corrosion on the outer tank shell.

adam can tell you the countless times a brand new flex connector leaked on him at the same connection.

anyone that wanted to sell them a new heater was a salesman out to make money and not looking out for the homeowner.

those heaters are foam insulated and very little water can ever soak in. there is still 3 years minimum left on the warranty and not 1 person wanted to explain that to them.

don't even get me started with the pool guys, garage door and ac rip off repair men.

yes it was staged, but the truth is these were pretty obvious issues for any real trades person.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Well it didn't look like a Bradford to me. I would have sold her a new water heater just because of that!

I agree about the loose nut, from the looks of it they had that thing leaking for hours. I wouldn't want to keep that water heater after that, no way. Wanna bet she got a new water heater out of the deal anyway? But but but WHY? LOL

Hardware store warranties are worthless.

Hey seriously as I said before it's all about options. The way I handle all of them is like this. I can fix the leaking nut for $125.00 with no warranty at all (there is no way I give a warranty on a water logged electric water heater), or I can sell you a new Bradford installed right now for $985.00, it's all about options. Either way I win.
            %^*& %^$ Chris Hansen, I don't like your tactics. Very poor taste.

Comment

bradford is junk to me. name 1 other company that pays squat to change out a leaker after 3 months.

the ge heater is a rheem heater. if you didn't want to tighten the nut, then sell them a new connector. the only warranty they would hold you on is the flex connector. not the heater. it doesn't get much simpler than that.

honestly the few heaters i've taken to home depot for the customer was a no fee swap. my supply houses has a pro-rated swap out. you pay the difference between the original cost and the new cost of the heater. but then you get a full 6 year warranty, not the balance of the original heater.

once again the ones that sold them anything more than the proper fix, were out to rob them. plain and simple. pool, water heater, garage door or ac unit.
              phoebe it is

Comment

My rheem dealer will swap a rheem tank out for me that proves to be in warranty with just the original sticker that has the heaters information on it. No need to bring back the old tank. It is prorated and the customer gets the remaining balance of the warranty of the original install. For the 1st year labor is also included in my warranty. I have been compensated for warranty change outs if its within the 1st year of install. My compensation has been a choice between product or a check. Its never enough but its better than nothing and it doesn't happen very often at all.

Having water leak down the "trap" they set into the water heater can cause the thermostats to malfunction. Manfunctioning thermostats can be dangerous.

IMO a better trap would have been to call about a high water bill with the sound of water running.....leave a hose bibb on in the backyard about 1/4 way. Then call your plumbers with the trap. See what kinda answers you get.

Comment

It's all about options. I disagree that doing anything else besides tightening the nut would be ripping off the customer, get real. How long has this water been leaking at the nut? There was water all over the floor, insulation didn't stop the water from soaking through.

Yes Mrs. so and so I can fix your loose nut, with no warranty at all. Yes Mrs. so and so I can change out your water heater and give you peace of mind.

Most of my customers go for the new water heater. If you're not giving options you may as well be doing this for charity.

The show was bogus.

Master for once we agree, I like your plan for the show WAY better! WAY more realistic.

Regarding Bradford White, there is no comparison. The numbers prove it and they don't sell them at Home Depot. Bradford White, the Professionals Choice.

Comment

At a minimum I would have replaced the flex because I can't afford a go-back and she couldn't afford a material test to see why it failed. However, when he told her the leak could have caused the side of the garage to blow out he crossed the line.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Love Bradford White also. Most of my supply houses carry Bradford only. I have one that is strictly state which is a good heater also.
                      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

To Utah was totally correct, replace the flex, not knowing it was staged I would not have tightened it up only to leak later and be a callback. I wonder what they would have said to that? Would my company have been one of the bad ones?
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                          To Utah was totally correct, replace the flex, not knowing it was staged I would not have tightened it up only to leak later and be a callback. I wonder what they would have said to that? Would my company have been one of the bad ones?
                          That specific plumbing problem is like an open ended question. There are many answers and many are right. We all can agree that the contractors were all a bit shady. One guy who repaired garage doors got everything right, they did not talk much about that. We don't know how many other contractors did the right thing, that was not the purpose of the show I am sure. It was weak !
                          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post

So true, if you would have replaced the flex line you would have been one of the bad guys no doubt according to Dateline. If you ask me Dateline is the bad guy. I won't let myself be put in a situation like that. Like I said so many times before every job I do I give a few different options, I let the customer decide. It puts them in the power position and makes them feel good about the job. Some of the options will have a warranty and some won't. No way do I warranty everything I do especially an electric water heater that's been leaking for hours on end inside the jacket and on the electrical.

Comment

LOL I can just see some of those guys taking away the old heater and then selling it to someone else saying "It was a customers with low hours that changed to tankless"
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X