Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Dateline NBC Home Repair Scams 7 PM , Sunday 15th including a plumbing scam Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dateline NBC Home Repair Scams 7 PM , Sunday 15th including a plumbing scam

www.msnbc.msn.com

This is the link to Home Repair Scams including a specific plumbing problem that was shown earlier tonight. Watch the plumbing scam . It will be shown again on Sunday the 15th on NBC at 7 PM.

Once you open MSNBC go to tabs at the top and hit Date Line,Then scroll down until u see Chris Hanson / Home Repair Scams. You should then see Chris Hanson with some video of a plumbing scam regarding a water heater on Good Morning America . The entire show shows different trades with some dishonest contractors. What people will do for money .

It's rather amusing, made me laugh and mad at the same time. I know it happens to me at the car dealer.

The exact link is a few posts below thanks to Plumber Rick.

My eye pad is not the best for copying and pasting links.
    Last edited by Fred the plumber; 05-14-2011, 12:13 AM. Reason: Typo
    The Plumber/Firefighter

Re: Dateline NBC Home Repair Scams 7 PM , Sunday 15th including a plumbing scam

sorry not seeing the video.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      sorry not seeing the video.
      Sewer, once you open MSNBC, go to tabs at top and hit Date Line, you will then see Chris Hanson with the Plumbing Scam.
      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Thank you Fred

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          Thank you Fred
          Anytime sir . Let me know if it worked.
          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Glad you posted this Fred, as I ran into a situation today that I see quite common.

Today I was called back to a house where we installed a Phase III back in the fall that's supplied by an old oil fired Boiler. The complaint was smoke was setting off the alarms in the basement and a genuine oil smell in the house.

Now we don't offer contracts as we are simply too small of a company to possibly keep up with any type of regular maintenance on Boilers for everyone, except for the ones we install. Well anyways, I noticed a new company sticker on the Aquastat that was quite glaring, that wasn't there before. Took the cover off the aquastat and noticed right away that the low limit was all the way down pass 120 which I know darn well we didn't leave it there. Raised the low limit and Burner ignited and saw the smoke right away. Checked the air adjustment on the burner and it was choked off so I quickly shut the burner down. Now someone touched that, and we find it quite common that contractors are trying to create a problem to scare the customer into thinking they need to change their heater right away.

I mostly notice this with Oil companies for some reason, as we had a similar problem a month ago, when a big oil company told the customer that they could no longer get controls or parts for her boiler that was 20 years old, which simply wasn't true.

A year ago, our neighbor who rehabs homes called us in to check out and fix anything wrong with the Oil fired Boiler in the house he bought from foreclosure. We gave it a good cleaning and changed a few valves and this baby was purring. After a month the house had a buyer and she wanted to bring in her own heating guy to check out the boiler, cause she was fighting to get a new boiler out of our neighbor, and he refused. After her Heating contractor checked out the boiler, we got a call that we had major leaks around the boiler, and soot was everywhere. From the flow valve to automatic feed...someone loosened every single nut, and all of a sudden we had a hard fire that sooted up the boiler.

These people who do such things should lose their license for good.

Comment

see if this link works.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891...20325#43020325

rick.

it takes about 10 seconds to load. be patient.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I agree. I did not realize how bad it really is. I have seen contractors rip off people and do the work but what I saw on the video and what you mentioned is absolutely wrong. I don't know how they sleep at night. I think they should also see jail time. It's only good guys like you and others that actually know what these guys are doing. Most people have no idea, especially the elderly.
                The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  see if this link works.

rick.

Thank You Rick
                  The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    see if this link works.

rick.

Thanks.

My plumbers intuition steers me to think the first guy really knows nothing.

And the second scenario. THREE GUYS! THREE GUYS FOR THIS! I've changed a real leaking water heater in that situation by myself in less than an hour.

Honestly, we just don't see this here. Or I'm out of the loop on some of it. It could give me more work though.

I'll be watching.

J.C.

Comment

I had a steady customer call me once for a sewer back up, I told her I could get to her in a few hours that I was on a job. About two hours goes by she calls me saying she couldn't wait so she called this other guy and he said the clean out I installed was all wrong and her sewer needed replacing. I told her not to let him do anything else I be there in 10 minutes. As I pulled up the guy was loading his 1065 onto his run down pick up. I went up to her as my partner pulled our 1065 off the our truck. She told me she called him cause she had a coupon that stated $45 any drain rodding, and the guy said his machine couldn't get the line open that he could try a heavy duty machine for $500 more. As her and I where talking my partner already started rodding, and the guy from the $45 any drain company comes up to us and says they are not going to get the line open they are using the same machine I just put away. Soon as he finished saying that my partner yelled over to us telling us he got the line open. The $45 drain guy turned beat red and left. In another half hour we ran a 6" cutter through the line with out any issues. The blockage was diaper wipes, she just recently had her first child and didn't know that they can clog a sewer.

Comment

That's unbelievable. It's funny you mention the diaper wipes, i find them being used by all ages now. In my experience in MD sewer cleaning these are the second biggest cause of blockages behind tree roots.

Sewer what did your customer think of not waiting for you after that . Bet she is glad u came. I am sure she will wait next time no matter how long. I am glad u embarrassed those bumms ! Maybe they learned something also.
                        Last edited by Fred the plumber; 05-14-2011, 12:02 AM.
                        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

I am glad u embarrassed those bumms ! Maybe they learned something also.
                          Unfortunately the only thing these crooks learn is how not to get caught in a lie the next time.
                          Yes, they need to lose the license but the only way that will happen is if those who know they
                          are doing the public harm report them so they can be investigated and their license pulled.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                            I agree. I did not realize how bad it really is. I have seen contractors rip off people and do the work but what I saw on the video and what you mentioned is absolutely wrong. I don't know how they sleep at night. I think they should also see jail time. It's only good guys like you and others that actually know what these guys are doing. Most people have no idea, especially the elderly.
                            Rick, thanks for posting the link.

It's absolutely amazing to see these plumbers bald face lying to their customers like that. This is why referrals are so important, some trust comes with a referral for a reason.

BTW: Here in St. Paul and Minneapolis you can't have those flexible copper connectors. So I would have suggested they replace them. I also liked how they had a ball valve at the drain instead of a boiler drain.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Is this something new? Is this something that has not happened before and been done by virtually every sector of contracting? What about all the crooked lawyers, accountants, politicians, bankers and old Bernie Madoff himself not to mention all the crooked journalists most of which seem to be employed by MSNBC. It's a sensationalistic crap piece of reporting that in no way accurately represents the plumbing trade. Wonder how many honest plumbers showed up and never made it to film because that's not what sells is it?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X