Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best vehicle for plumbing ? Room for supplies, gas mileage and expense of vehicle.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best vehicle for plumbing ? Room for supplies, gas mileage and expense of vehicle

i have both the gmc 14050# gvw, w4500 tilt cab with 12' enclosed service body. same as the Isuzu.

the gmc carries much more and is a 350 gas engine. but the mileage was down to 6 in the city.

the 2008 diesel sprinter is a 9990# gvw. the mileage is 13 in our city. and 19 on the freeway. holds a lot less inventory.

truthfully the gmc has a much better turning radius, but the sprinter is a much more comfortable ride.

the gmc was purchased to carry all the toys before i had my own shop/ warehouse. now i don't need all the space that truck provides.

if you're into drain cleaning, and plumbing service and repair, you either need a large truck or you're running to the supply house.

or the sprinter and swapping out the drums with the sectional machines will save a ton of room. stock only the common stuff and leave the rest at the shop/ storage yard, garage.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Best vehicle for plumbing ? Room for supplies, gas mileage and expense of vehicle

I have seen a few of the Nissan NV at the supply hyouse. I am pretty impressed with them, and they are well priced. http://www.nissancommercialvehicles....cc=0.231392702
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

saw them at the trade show too. looked very simlar to the sprinter.

spoke to the us rep and he used to work as a designer for sprinter

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Similar but their 2500 van comes with a V6 and the 3500 comes with a V-8. The overall van seems studlier than the full sized Sprinters too.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          saw them at the trade show too. looked very similar to the sprinter.

spoke to the us rep and he used to work as a designer for sprinter

rick.

Comment

Yup i agree, this is sexy truck
            Check out my new website on Vacuum Cleaner Reviews

Comment

I wish I could afford one of those bigger trucks but the fact is I can't. This is what I'm driving, 2004 GMC one ton with 46K original miles still. You would be surprised what I can fit in there! Now the question is can I find anything, sometimes.

Comment

If I had a garage with a roof that could handle the Nissan, I'd strongly consider it.

I bought Appleton Drain's enclosed service body C2500 pickup cab/chassis truck a few months ago. I love that thing. The side access boxes are very helpful for organization for me. the only PITA is that I can't fit 10' lengths in the bed. I cut them to 7.5' and hang them in the corner. I'm working on making a side ladder/pipe rack that swings out as needed (just like the Hackney P2000 body uses). Then I'll be able to carry 10' lengths or my trench ladder or extension ladder as needed and still be able to park in my garage which only had 81" of clearance.

The next truck i get (which will hopefully be 3-5 years from now) will probably either be a Reading Aluminum body service van tall roof or perhaps a 12' box truck or maybe the Nissan. the Nissan 2500 with the 4.0 V6 would be nice, but I would be concerned about the towing ability. I have to tow scissor lifts and backhoes occasionally.

My service body pickup has a Chevy 305 V8 with throttle body injection and overdrive. Good blend of power and efficiency, though not as good as the old Chevy straight-6 stick that I used to have. That truck was a BEAST!

Comment

I'll take my Sprinter over the Nissan any time.

The difference between the Sprinter Diesel and Nissan gasoline engine is likely to be significant. My overall MPG with my 2006 Sprinter is 20 MPG and that's loaded and a mix of highway and city driving. (Actually the last time I checked it was 21 MPG.) In the winter it's closer to 19 mpg, but then I'm using the auxiliary booster heater which consumes diesel.

With the Sprinter I have about 11'-3" behind my partition. (I have the mid length Sprinter, not the longest). So I can get 10 foot pieces of pipe on the side, not down the center aisle and under the console. Thus I don't have to climb over pipe all the time. Instead I climb over all the other crap I have piled there.

Repairs, I'll grant you, are not inexpensive.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I like my F-350 diesel but I wish it had a utility body. I am looking at diesel Econoline vans now. I would love a sprinter but they're just too expensive for me. I will only buy diesels. The engines last longer, are better on fuel and plus I run biodiesel which is about $1.15 per gallon cheaper than the petro. Guy I know that runs Maui Brewing Co makes his own biodiesel from the cooking grease from his pub. Says he's got it down to about 75 Cents a gallon. Looked in to making it myself to but I don't have the room right now for the set up.
                    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

I no longer use a vehicle. I'm traveling by Cicada's.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        I no longer use a vehicle. I'm traveling by Cicada's.

J.C.
                        Very green... er brown of you.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Aloha
                          Yep seem to not be a perfect van and if you work in hawaii parking and height restrictions are a constant problem.
                          Use the chevy van extended but it be nice to stand up in a van when getting parts just might not happen in hawaii.
                          That was a nice set up on the picture that guy posted in the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by FRP View Post
                            Aloha
                            Yep seem to not be a perfect van and if you work in hawaii parking and height restrictions are a constant problem.
                            Use the chevy van extended but it be nice to stand up in a van when getting parts just might not happen in hawaii.
                            That was a nice set up on the picture that guy posted in the beginning.
                            Yeah good job. I think what you say in true.
                            "Welcome In My World and Smile"
                            Visit my site :
                            http://bit.ly/jlBXw3
                            http://bit.ly/lxdwbO
                            THE BEST FOR YOU CLICK HERE !

Comment

Originally posted by TOP-NOTCH PLUMBER View Post
                              how about..........
                              I am still drooling over this thing. I can't find what kind of mileage it gets. It is hard to justify when a decent late model express van is around 7k or so but it would be awesome.

Comment

I love my 2004 Sprinter, I have the long wheel based one with the high roof. I found if you take the sprinter to the Freightliner dealer and get service it is half the price of what the Dodge dealerships charge. The Dodge guys just look at us Sprinter owners as easy targets when it comes to service. A lot of the stuff I been doing myself since my warranty has long ran out. One thing that did p*** me off about my Sprinter is that I am getting rust from under the paint, and when I took it to the dealer since the paint and body supposed to have a 100k warranty. They told me it was not covered since I am using the truck for commercial use. WTH do they think people buy these for? Camping?

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                                I'll take my Sprinter over the Nissan any time.

The difference between the Sprinter Diesel and Nissan gasoline engine is likely to be significant. My overall MPG with my 2006 Sprinter is 20 MPG and that's loaded and a mix of highway and city driving. (Actually the last time I checked it was 21 MPG.) In the winter it's closer to 19 mpg, but then I'm using the auxiliary booster heater which consumes diesel.

With the Sprinter I have about 11'-3" behind my partition. (I have the mid length Sprinter, not the longest). So I can get 10 foot pieces of pipe on the side, not down the center aisle and under the console. Thus I don't have to climb over pipe all the time. Instead I climb over all the other crap I have piled there.

Repairs, I'll grant you, are not inexpensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X