Hdpe ain't tough enough !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hdpe ain't tough enough !

Son digs down near foundation to check footing depth. Using only a shovel , He hits
    Hdpe gas service causing a leak! Gets a $800 bill from them. He hasn't even started His remodel. Just wants to assert footer size for Eng. Doesn't seem right!
    If the customer did this planting a bush would He be treated the same ? Tanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Hdpe ain't tough enough !

Here in IL they say before you do any gardening, before the first shovel hits the ground, call JULIE to locate all utilities.
    You may be surprised by what's buried in your yard. That's because today, more electric, gas, water, sewer and telecommunications companies are delivering utility services underground. To avoid personal injury and damage to those lines, state law requires you to contact JULIE before any digging project, regardless of the project size or depth.
    the quote is from this page http://www.illinois1call.com/before_...home_guide.htm
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

When I used to dig sewers way back in the day, we did it by hand, no back hoe. One thing my father always told me while digging never assume you are hitting a rock or a root with your shovel. Scrape it clean first and dig around it to verify what it is before you try to remove it. Digging with out breaking a utility, lead water service, or a cable TV line takes a lot of learned skill.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Call Dig Safe before you dig, it is the law here.

Comment

One time years ago I hit a plastic gas line feeding the neighbors gas meter while using a Ditch Witch walk behind trencher and the whole So Cal Gas Co. crew showed up and it was a Sunday. I thought I was doomed for sure. I argued that their gas line was only 13 inches deep when I hit it and not the minumum 18". I was lucky I never got backcharged for their repair. Calling dig alert is the best bet !
          Last edited by plumb4life; 05-22-2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

for the services in our area, a 1/2 pex coupling with 3/4 crimp rings will hold it together until monday morning to avoid the after hours/weekend repair rates
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
              One time years ago I hit a plastic gas line feeding the neighbors gas meter while using a Ditch Witch walk behind trencher and the whole So Cal Gas Co. crew showed up and it was a Sunday. I thought I was doomed for sure. I argued that their gas line was only 13 inches deep when I hit it and not the minumum 18". I was lucky I never got backcharged for their repair. Calling dig alert is the best bet !
              Great info, will pass along to Son!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

DigAlert is the law whether you're planting a bush or checking a footing.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  DigAlert is the law whether you're planting a bush or checking a footing.

Mark
                  I always call, Mark. My SON has learned a valuable lesson. He is the most caring proffesional , You'll meet.
                  To be honest, I would never have thought to called dig safe for a tree planting! I will now and pass the word to all My customers , and cont. Buds. With the added call outs, I'm Guessin it won't be free much longer.I do know the funds are permit generated. Permits are way down most places!

Comment

A couple weeks back I was watching a buddy of mine dig fence post holes in his backyard near the alley. Post hole digger and only down not even 18 inches and cut into a gas line. It blew dirt back up in his face. He said oh oh I think I just hit a gas line, should I call the gas company? I said NO, get your phone and call 911 NOW! I haven't heard yet what it cost him.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                      A couple weeks back I was watching a buddy of mine dig fence post holes in his backyard near the alley. Post hole digger and only down not even 18 inches and cut into a gas line. It blew dirt back up in his face. He said oh oh I think I just hit a gas line, should I call the gas company? I said NO, get your phone and call 911 NOW! I haven't heard yet what it cost him.
                      I wonder if the 49s called dig safe? Please let Us know if he missed the bullet. You raise a good point, are all fence cos calling dig safe,or just some ?
                      I think the gas co's should do a National add campaign!

Comment

Out here the gas co as part of their repair costs, bills you for the estimated amount of gas lost from the time they get call until they pinch the line off to fix it.

A few of the excavation contractors complain that the estimates seem to be on the high side.

Here in Canada 811 is for road reports and not one dig so each and every utility has be individually called for a locate. At least the gas and hydro are the same company so there less time waiting on site to get the locate info.

Comment

On residential 3/4"- 1" severed Hdpe. I wonder if sheet metal [ duck bill] vise grips , would cut of the Gas flow until the gas co. arrived? That would make a bad situation safer.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            On residential 3/4"- 1" severed Hdpe. I wonder if sheet metal [ duck bill] vise grips , would cut of the Gas flow until the gas co. arrived? That would make a bad situation safer.
                            Thats what I used to stop or greatly slow down the flow when I hit one. The Gas Co. has a tool somewhat like a pipe vise with flat jaws to pinch it shut for the repair.

Comment

here is the vise that is for pinching off hdpe and will also work on soft copper.

rick.

this is the thread i wrote about this vise. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t30044/
                              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-22-2011, 08:49 PM.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X