Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAPP gas VS propane

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    Robert,you must be mistaken.No-one has a 40 minute discussion with the Rick we know and love.With our Rick it would be a 40 minute ear pounding

Just teasing Rick,to know you is a blessing

+1
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Robert,you must be mistaken.No-one has a 40 minute discussion with the Rick we know and love.With our Rick it would be a 40 minute ear pounding

Just teasing Rick,to know you is a blessing

just had a 40 minute phone conversation with robert

probably has me confused with the other handsome plumbers

as i don't shop at fergusons and i don't know the rep.

robert went to the swap meet photo and the guy said it was the one eating ice cream. i think he was jealous

i guess that's what happens when you get famous or infamous

rick.

now 40 minutes talking ridgid tools would just get me started
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        possibly the lead probably the silver content

once you go propress, you'll never use paper

rick.
        Now thats good. can I quote you!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Crapper III View Post
          propane matches the melting rate of the soluable flux better and mapp gas is making it disipate to quickly with its high heat. Mapp use to work great and now it doesn't. This is what the rep told me, personally i think that they took something out of the new soder because it was costing to much to make.
          For once, I'll actually agree with you on something, propane does make for a more clean, evenly soldered joint...just takes all day.
          Acetylene & MAPP have a tendancy to "bake" the flux if you're not used to using them, or not paying attention. You can burn the flux and effectively create a dirty joint that won't take.
          I put the most intense part of the flame right on the fitting until it's almost hot enough to melt the solder, then back away just enough to maintain that temperature.
          As for solder, your also correct in my opinion, I use Silvabrite 95/5, other brands don't melt and flow as evenly...as long as I use this solder, it seems like I could use axle grease for flux and still get a decent joint.
          Ask ten plumbers how to solder, you get ten rituals...we all have our way.
          Part of mine is to heat the center of the fitting, not the pipe, because the flux chases the heat, the solder chases the flux.
          As for taking advice from sales reps, I liken that to taking medical advice from a pharmaceutical sales agent.
          Now you know why I come here.

Comment

I take to heating the joint to right before the burnoff on the back side of the flame is turning green. IOW.....never seeing green.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I'm sure we all have a little different method and I have not even tought about it in 20-years as it just seems natural anymore. That said the text book method is to heat the pipe first then the fitting then back to the pipe the distance of the fitting socket away from the socket and add solder.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I'm sure we all have a little different method and I have not even tought about it in 20-years as it just seems natural anymore. That said the text book method is to heat the pipe first then the fitting then back to the pipe the distance of the fitting socket away from the socket and add solder.

Mark
                This is the exact opposite of my method

Have I been doing it wrong for 25 years?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  This is the exact opposite of my method

Have I been doing it wrong for 25 years?
                  Here is a link to the CDA method which is very similar to our requirements listed in the UPC Installation Standards.

http://www.copper.org/applications/p...oljts_heat.htm

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter
                    Ask ten plumbers how to solder, you get ten rituals...we all have our way.
                    I saw it comin'.

Comment

Just got in from fixing three four inch fitting leaks(existing).There were 16 four inch joints to be soldered,Two plumbers had one leak apiece,the fittings wear very loose tolerances.I've soldered plenty of large diameter pipe.The fittings are so tight sometimes we have to beat them on.I thought todays fittings going on so easy was a good sign untill I started soldering.The final product was gapped horribly.I would like to improve my capping skills.Anyone have any advice.

Adam

Comment

Just got in from fixing three four inch fitting leaks(existing).There were 16 four inch joints to be soldered,Two plumbers had one leak apiece,the fittings wear very loose tolerances.I've soldered plenty of large diameter pipe.The fittings are so tight sometimes we have to beat them on.I thought todays fittings going on so easy was a good sign untill I started soldering.The final product was gapped horribly.I would like to improve my capping skills.Anyone have any advice.

Adam
                        Yes we all call it silver soldering (erroneously) but I would say anything above 2" should be silver brazed. I had to do a 5" repair one night (13-story condo) and only had solder on my truck. Boy what a mess that was and it took two rolls of solder before I filled the thing up.

Mark

Comment

Of course I agree with Mark but for a different reason. Solder flows because of the capillary action so the tighter the fitting the better. Brazing works with capillary action but allows for much looser tolerences.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I thought anything over 3" had to be brazed???

If I have a large gap, I tend to work the solder, hit it with flux, let it set about 30 seconds to cool, then hit it again with the torch, repeat if necessary, works great
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              Of course I agree with Mark but for a different reason. Solder flows because of the capillary action so the tighter the fitting the better. Brazing works with capillary action but allows for much looser tolerences.
                              Aciually Ben I think we agree for the same reason.

Mark

Comment

I use Bridgit solder. Saw a demonstration at a phcc trade show, seems like an excellant product. Supposedly it has good filling and capping capabilities. Manufactored by the Harris co. Would like to try thier flux but nobody carries it, so Everflux for now ( no complaints on the Everflux).

wookie

Comment

Working...
                                X