X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAPP gas VS propane

it seems that propane is the gas of choice when sweating copper? i am curious as to why. unless i am mapp gas burns hotter which allows the joint to accept solder more quickly? that is what i used to think and as such have been using MAPP gas instead of propane. My last product had me running out of MAPP a few joints away from being complete and instead of running to the store i grabbed my left over propane tank to finish the job. the propane flame seemed to work more quickly than the mapp gas. i was curious as to if anyone knows why?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Ed: Soldering is like an artform.....I have not met two individuals that use the same exact method of soldering. I guess everyone has their preferred way. Personally I like to use acetylene with a turbo tip. I find that the turbo tip does not have a long jetting-out flame, which helps prevent fires in tight spaces. However, if I only have one or two joints to sweat at the 26th-floor of a building, I am NOT going to lug an acetylene tank all the way up! So, I use MAPP because it is hotter and comes in smaller disposable tanks.

Some plumbers are actually purchasing larger, refillable MAPP tanks plus special regulators and tips because acetylene set ups don't work for MAPP. I have used a MAPP set up and it is nice but I guess I am "old-fashioned" and like my acetylene torch better. Plus the cost of the new complete set up is NOT cheap.

Personally I believe that do-it-yourselfers/homeowners should use propane because it will take longer to heat the fitting up, causing the flux to thoroughly cleanout and give you more time to get better flow from the solder.

I hope this info helps you! Jim

Comment

well that does help. i am an electronics technician by trade so i do understand the art of soldering. but i am a diy plumber and although my joints do look good when i am done sometimes they are not always easy. i actually pulled out my mapp and oxygen torch trying to get a leaky joint fixed. throughout my frustration all i managed to do is cut a hole in the pipe and had to recut and refit new pipe and couplings to get it done. someone actually recommended putting a small piece of bread in the pipe to keep the joint dry. i am not sure if that is such a good idea. anyway getting back to the point, i was just curious because most of the people i talk to choose to use propane. i use mapp primarily. just wondering what the "standard" was. thanks for taking the time to reply
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I feel that acetylene is the best. I used a lot of torchs and turbo torchs are the best. Has any of you tryed the self lighing one? But if you dont have one or you are doing a small Mapp is the best get the one with the hose it better to work with the tanks get in the way you know.

Comment

I use propane the mapp does burn hotter but I feel I can do just as good with propane. I can do just as many joints with my propane as anyone I know can with there mapp.

just my two cents

Comment

Re: MAPP gas VS propane

carried around a b tank for years. Switched to propane (turbo torch) Now pretty much use a Lennox torch head on a small Mapp bottle. Just me, I hate lugging heavy stuff around. Mapp is a lot hotter than propane. Of course we do so much with pex now, the torch is kinda lonely.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma View Post
              someone actually recommended putting a small piece of bread in the pipe to keep the joint dry. i am not sure if that is such a good idea.
              It sounds like a great idea if you're in the mood for a small piece of toast.

I haven't done much soldering, but have found that propane has served me very well in my little DIY projects. I can see how it would be tough to use in a very confined space though.

Comment

Bread works great to slow a leak before you have to sweat a copper pipe or ball valve.

If your a professional, you can solder everything but the last fitting or coupling, then you would use the bread to finish that last fitting.

I use only MC tank and MAPP gas, propane is for DIY'rs
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

I trained on acetylene, but it's been so many years ago that I no longer like it as much. I've been using propane too long.

I find acetylene too expensive, for one thing. And I don't do much soldering anymore, since I use mostly plastic pipe. Mapp is more expensive than propane and I don't really seem to have any long wait on heating fittings with a propane Turbotorch.

I don't remember actually ever using bread to solder with, though I may have. They used to make some plastic plugs that you could shove in the pipe and then melt out, but I haven't seen those for a long time.

Recently, I had to replace a tee in a crawler, and when I finished, I put in a 3/4" Sharkbite to complete the job, since it would have taken forever to drain down four apartments and get them to quit dripping.

Comment

I use Mapp gas for 1" or smaller copper and Acetylene on larger.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I use mapp gas for repair work and oxy acetylene for installs.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm just an echo, mapp mapp mapp.
                        I used propane for a couple of years and it's just too slow.
                        Acetylene is too heavy and I always walk away with my ears ringing.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          I'm just an echo, mapp mapp mapp.
                          I used propane for a couple of years and it's just too slow.
                          Acetylene is too heavy and I always walk away with my ears ringing.

propane matches the melting rate of the soluable flux better and mapp gas is making it disipate to quickly with its high heat. Mapp use to work great and now it doesn't. This is what the rep told me, personally i think that they took something out of the new soder because it was costing to much to make.

Comment

Originally posted by John Crapper III View Post
                            propane matches the melting rate of the soluable flux better and mapp gas is making it disipate to quickly with its high heat. Mapp use to work great and now it doesn't. This is what the rep told me, personally i think that they took something out of the new soder because it was costing to much to make.

possibly the lead probably the silver content

it's the flux that sucks

i use both mapp and acy. it's not the heat of the gas that is giving you the trouble. it's the flux, water, steam, or experience

try propress. it works with water in the line.

once you go propress, you'll never use paper

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Try Everflux, it's the best flux out there.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X