X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rheem power vent heater blower noise

I have customer with a Rheem 50 gallon power vent heater from 05/2005 that is making a lot of noise on the blower motor. Kind of sounds like a bearing is going. Lots of vibration and noise. The heater is otherwise functioning normally. There is a red light that flashes on the gas valve controls.

I don't see a lot of Rheem power vent heaters. Has anyone encountered this before?

-Chris

Re: Rheem power vent heater blower noise

Just the other day my father went on a call for the same exact thing on a rheem. He went there and the noise couldn't be duplicated, but he is going to get a new vent motor for the customer.

Comment

double check the blower squirrel cage . after years of use there should be lint and dust built up on the wheel. take a toothbrush and compressed air to clean the blade and see if that helps.

typically a blower that's dirty doesn't produce enough air and will not close the pressure switch.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Cleaning off the blower squirrel cage didn't work for us, and the pressure switch was fine.

Figures it couldn't be that easy for us.

Comment

If it has an A.O. Smith motor on it then it should have 2 very small oil ports. Try adding some 3-in1 oil in those while it's running.

Comment

3in1 motor oil

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I didn't see any oil ports on the motor.

I'll check the squirrel cage. I suppose it's possible that there is debris on it. It's really loud but only runs when the burner is on.

I gave the guy a price to replace the motor (not cheap) and an option to replace the whole heater. There is a gravity return line tied in at the opening for the drain cock and there is a lot of corrosion around that opening. I can't tell if it's just the jacket.

The blower motor is right about half the cost of a new Bradford White power vent heater. At 6 years in it's a matter of starting from scratch with a new heater or dropping several hundred on a new motor. The only Rheem distributor is Park Supply (Ferguson's Heating branch) which is not too close to me either.

Comment

Working...
              X