Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

the issue i have with the perfecto set is that the square adapters are not heavy wall tubing and they do distort. if you can find a 3/4'' drive 8 point socket this would be great. also some heavy wall square tubing like used on a trailer hitch. 3/16'' wall. then add a 1/16'' or a 1/8'' shim stock flat to shim as needed. pipe wrench or a hole for a 1'' pipe breaker bar.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Faucet Depot has the 1701-CPX set for $189.00 with free shipping.

Comment

Gotcha...That's what I was thinking too about a socket ..There is a construction supply not too far from me.I will let everyone know what I find if anything..I had the camera phone with me but it's junk and will not allow me to download pics..My digital camera was left in the truck as it was pouring down rain this morning ..Didn't want to risk getting it wet..
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Wish You were closer Bud. Have all the stock to weld one up at the shop. Tons of Iron, literally.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            the issue i have with the perfecto set is that the square adapters are not heavy wall tubing and they do distort. if you can find a 3/4'' drive 8 point socket this would be great. also some heavy wall square tubing like used on a trailer hitch. 3/16'' wall. then add a 1/16'' or a 1/8'' shim stock flat to shim as needed. pipe wrench or a hole for a 1'' pipe breaker bar.

rick.

And we know they did that intentionally. They probably make good money on selling specific sizes as well. Job security.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              Faucet Depot has the 1701-CPX set for $189.00 with free shipping.

Sounds like a Home Depot Trick:

WD-40 can be found in 3 different locations in their building, all 3 have different prices. Most expensive? Right at the checkout lanes, unless you have a cashier that cares, willing to tell you that same product is 4 dollars cheaper somewhere else.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i have the perfecto set. but it's almost $200. more with the pipe wrench and sloan adapter.

why not just buy a piece of square steel tubing that fits pretty close and use a wrench.

made many this way before.

rick.
                X2 have made them before out of steel or flattened a piece of copper tube into a square shape.
                Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Name:  76e4b14252e8e6ce34daba476ba93faa.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  361.7 KBName:  12998955f89272830b33f38770d79df2.jpg
Size:  447.4 KBName:  76b653e02768152f2b4cbfe504169428.jpg
Size:  312.1 KBUpdate..the construction supply was a zero..So on my way home against my better judgement I stopped at harbor freight ..I did find a 3/4" chinese metric set ..The whole set up..These sockets actually fit tight on all the cleanout plugs I tested..I know not to trust them on real work where things are accessible but for this job I had to try..The set cost me $50..I know the cheap pop meatal is probably weaker than the brass I am dealing with but worth the shot ..I will give an honest review after I try em' out..
                  Last edited by OLD1; 05-20-2011, 10:35 PM.

Comment

can't you just make your own for this one size to get you back to work on this job.
                    take a piece of pipe the right size and heat and beat it square so it fits over the plug,
                    then use a pipe wrench to spin it out. not glamorous but it will work.
                    so what size pipe to use?

add up the flats and you get 1.5" x 4 =6" so 6" / Pi = INSIDE diameter of pipe (1.909")
                    a piece of 2" copper ought to work just about right for a one time tool. solder a cap or
                    a 2" C x FM adapter on the end so it doesn't crush when you put the wrench to it.
                    The adapter would give you some flats to put a wrench on if you desired to.
                    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                      ...<much deleted>..My digital camera was left in the truck as it was pouring down rain this morning ..Didn't want to risk getting it wet..
                      Next camera consider something like the Olympus Stylus series all WX cameras. Drop/shock resistant, waterproof, and most important to me is no moving parts outside the camera body such as the lens. This means nothing to collect dirt or grime that will gum up the works and kill the camera eventually. there's only a the lens cover that retracts into the camera to expose the lens. has a strong built in flash which is important because many times you will be in low light situations. Then you won't be afraid to take it with you.

Any tool that is too shiney to take in the field is worthless no matter how much it cost.
                      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Thanks for all the advice..I thought about all the options out there .I was even thinking of going to a welder so they could make me one out of square stock..But then I would have 1 socket for 1 cleanout ..I know ..it goes against everything I stand for to buy a chinese tool but hell must have frozen over yesterday..Like I mentioned this is not a "code red" emergency for my customer so fabricating one in the field really wasn't necessary..Plus I didn't have the material to do it..Again I know about improvising , overcoming, adapting..
                        Also the camera I have works great .I have always had compliments on the pictures it takes , easy to use, easy to download pictures..Guess what it is an older OLympus C740..Only 3.2 mega but I love this camera..Sorry couldn't justify taking the camera in there when my description was more than adequate..(Basically a recessed cleanout plug)
                        Don't know some people probably spend more time taking pictures of their work than what it takes to do the plumbing..Trust me I have a ton of pictures

Funny thing is I will probably be posting about how the socket, breaker bar, and / or ratchet exploded the first time I used it..
                        Thanks again for all the input
                        Last edited by OLD1; 05-22-2011, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                          Drill a hole in the plug and then saw it in half. Clean the drain and replace the plug with grease on it. Problem solved.
                          Done the same, many times over.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The reason I didn't want to do that , is because there is a cast iron adapter that the plug screws into.I didn't want to risk breaking it..Wierd thing is there is a very little bit of play with the adapter..Not enough just to pull it up though..Thanks for all the ideas though. I will let you guys know how the chinese set up performs ..Thanks again

Comment

on the ones that the socket/ pasco tool won't remove due to risk of breaking the fitting in the wall/ ground, i have started to use a holesaw to drill out the brass and then either use a chisel to fold in the threaded section or just install an expansion plug inside the drilled out hole.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                                Sounds like a Home Depot Trick:

WD-40 can be found in 3 different locations in their building, all 3 have different prices. Most expensive? Right at the checkout lanes, unless you have a cashier that cares, willing to tell you that same product is 4 dollars cheaper somewhere else.
                                wow... All 3 have different barrodes on them so they scan up at different prices?

Comment

Working...
                                X