X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

Remember how to magnetize Your screwdriver with shorted wires on a 12 volt car battery! Just wrap multi coil 10 Gauge wire and HOLD SCREWDRIVER TIP IN CENTER for about 5 seconds. Weld up a tee handled [5/8"] rod stock,length You want. spread the end to largest square clean out cap square, Magnetize end. Now buy square found. washers in different thickness. You don't have to magnetize these. Just slip in the appropriate combo for the smaller square cap heads. Yes I have too much time on My hands ! But I'm a Happy Soul!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
      Attachment Attachment Attachment Update..the construction supply was a zero..So on my way home against my better judgement I stopped at harbor freight ..I did find a 3/4" chinese metric set ..The whole set up..These sockets actually fit tight on all the cleanout plugs I tested..I know not to trust them on real work where things are accessible but for this job I had to try..The set cost me $50..I know the cheap pop meatal is probably weaker than the brass I am dealing with but worth the shot ..I will give an honest review after I try em' out..
      many years ago I bought the harbor freight large sockets in 3/4" (not that I use them that much, but I do have the socket when needed), my neighbor once did mechanical work and he needed a socket, and come and borrowed the HF set I had, the nut was on a rear of a transmission of a larger semi truck, holding on the yoke of the U joint, any way they could not break it loose, so they took a SK breaker bar and proceeded to put the truck in gear and lay ed the bar up on a frame member, and what resulted was a breaker bar that was spiraled never hurt the socket,
      (I know some of there stuff is junk, but some of it is much better than it appears),
      go compare that set to SK, proto, snap on, or some others, and even if you have to replace a socket or two, you will most like still be money a head, in the end, (if you were a heavy equipment mechanic and used ever day that may be a much different story),

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my guess is what you will find is the 12 point socket will round off the out side corners of the plug if it is square, the 12 point does not have enough edge to not burr off the square drive, If one can find a 4 point or a 8 point like Rick said it would be much better, but to find a 4 point or a 8 point socket any more is nearly impossible in any larger size.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BHD; 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

That's definitely true BHD. There are some products that less reliable than others, but there are products at HB that are worth it for the money spent against buying top brand name.

I have a set of those heavy impact sockets you speak of, very reliable. It has removed every nut it has been attached to.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          on the ones that the socket/ pasco tool won't remove due to risk of breaking the fitting in the wall/ ground, i have started to use a holesaw to drill out the brass and then either use a chisel to fold in the threaded section or just install an expansion plug inside the drilled out hole.

rick.
          Me too. I find that most of the brass cleanouts that I run into will not come out even with a 24" pipe wrench. Drill it out and be done with it.

Or like TM said, re-caulk the clean-out adapter too.

I have a cold chisel that I ground into a pointed stake that I use to beat out clean out plugs

How many Whacks to get the center of a cleanout plug out? one, two, three.....knock out the center and then use a chisel to push the plug counterclockwise and screw it out. With the center out the plug has Zero integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            many years ago I bought the harbor freight large sockets in 3/4" (not that I use them that much, but I do have the socket when needed), my neighbor once did mechanical work and he needed a socket, and come and borrowed the HF set I had, the nut was on a rear of a transmission of a larger semi truck, holding on the yoke of the U joint, any way they could not break it loose, so they took a SK breaker bar and proceeded to put the truck in gear and lay ed the bar up on a frame member, and what resulted was a breaker bar that was spiraled never hurt the socket,
            (I know some of there stuff is junk, but some of it is much better than it appears),
            go compare that set to SK, proto, snap on, or some others, and even if you have to replace a socket or two, you will most like still be money a head, in the end, (if you were a heavy equipment mechanic and used ever day that may be a much different story),

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my guess is what you will find is the 12 point socket will round off the out side corners of the plug if it is square, the 12 point does not have enough edge to not burr off the square drive, If one can find a 4 point or a 8 point like Rick said it would be much better, but to find a 4 point or a 8 point socket any more is nearly impossible in any larger size.

Exactly. All you're going to do with those sockets is round off the corners of the square. If it were an Ohio Code plug (with Hex Head) you might have half a shot at turning it out.

Or, you're going to break the sockets

Comment

Well touched base with the customer yesterday. Tues. I will do the deed..I might even post pictures ..Thanks all for the advice .The 41mm chinese socket has zero play so I am thinking I am goinmg to have a better chance of shearing off the raised head on the plug. If the brass plug is stronger than the cheap as* pop metal tools then they are true garbage , but we'll see..
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Update...Stopped by today with the new set of Harbor Freight sockets..Nope.The plug that was there had a different size square head on it..So I rounded it off.Then I got the hole saw and cut through it like butter .Cut a couple wedges out with the sawzall and pried the rest out..Here's what I found after removing the plug I ran the mop sink..Ok def. sanitary sewer no funky storm cleanout.Someone flushed the toilet in the nearby bathroom water was flowing nicely ....I grabbed a hose and blasted the drain for a good 1/2 hr. pushing it as far as it would go again to confirm things were flowing good..The only time they have water puddling around the cleanout is after a heavy rain..It is a slab building .This particular cleanout is about 10' from an outside wall ..Hmmm..Well I told em ' to wait for the next rain pop the cover off and see.I am still thinking ground water is seeping from around the adapter ..I can see dirt through the very small gap around the adapter..To be continued
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Remember how to magnetize Your screwdriver with shorted wires on a 12 volt car battery! Just wrap multi coil 10 Gauge wire and HOLD SCREWDRIVER TIP IN CENTER for about 5 seconds. Weld up a tee handled [5/8"] rod stock,length You want. spread the end to largest square clean out cap square, Magnetize end. Now buy square found. washers in different thickness. You don't have to magnetize these. Just slip in the appropriate combo for the smaller square cap heads. Yes I have too much time on My hands ! But I'm a Happy Soul!

You def. watched to much Mc Guiver..

Comment

Working...
                  X