Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

    Went on a call for a customer of mine today,They say water is pooling around a cleanout in the middle of the hallway..Just one ..Went there and removed the flush mount floor cap and down about another 5" is the raised head brass plug..I don't have a square wrench for it.It needs to be atleast 6" to get me above the finished floor so I can put a pipe wrench on it..The cleanout plug is standard 1.5 x 1.5 I really dont want to try just breaking it as the plug is screwed into a reddish cast iron adapter ..The adapter has very little play..I just want to get the plug out so I can snake that run..There are cleanouts all over the place but I figured I'd start where the pooling has been seen.. Any ideas are greatly appreciated..No I don't have a welder or access to one ...
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

  • #2
    Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

    Torch to get those threads red hot and a basin wrench with a pipe wrench turning it. Make sure you spray some penetrating oil down there for a bit before heating. It'll burn off as soon as the torch gets lit.

    And make sure there is grease on those threads on both, solving that problem once and for all for future access.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

      Might work great but..This is in a main hallway of a church/ day care ..No torches can be used right there..I am looking at the perfecto set ..Looks like the whole kit and kaboodle
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

        Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
        Might work great but..This is in a main hallway of a church/ day care ..No torches can be used right there..I am looking at the perfecto set ..Looks like the whole kit and kaboodle
        Wow...looks nice and pricey...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

        Derek

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

          I always shoot from the hip that doesn't have $322 for one of these sets, and I've managed my entire career without one. I'd love to have one though.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	fd701517e3f83ecf030a462d8a6a9618.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	14698
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

            i have the perfecto set. but it's almost $200. more with the pipe wrench and sloan adapter.

            why not just buy a piece of square steel tubing that fits pretty close and use a wrench.

            made many this way before.

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

              Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
              I always shoot from the hip that doesn't have $322 for one of these sets, and I've managed my entire career without one. I'd love to have one though.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	fd701517e3f83ecf030a462d8a6a9618.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	14698
              Nice Dunbar. Send me the link to buy one. I want it.
              The Plumber/Firefighter

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

                Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i have the perfecto set. but it's almost $200. more with the pipe wrench and sloan adapter.

                why not just buy a piece of square steel tubing that fits pretty close and use a wrench.

                made many this way before.

                rick.
                I know...But then you have a wrench for 1 cleanout plug..I like the perfecto set minus the wrench and sloan adapter..Like you said under $200 ..It will pay for itself the 1st time I use it
                Last edited by OLD1; 05-18-2011, 11:13 PM.
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

                  I like to use that PB blaster, I don't think that will solve every problem but it works well.
                  The Plumber/Firefighter

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

                    Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                    Nice Dunbar. Send me the link to buy one. I want it.

                    It was the first good image I pulled off google, since I had no clue what the name of that set was until it was written.


                    I'd jump on that price for $200.00 The link above shows $322




                    It looks heavy though, but that can be a good thing for torque.
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 05-18-2011, 10:54 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

                      Thanks Dunbar. I will check it out. You guys are sharp. I love toys !
                      The Plumber/Firefighter

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

                        Yes, I saw it. It comes in handy. It's nice when you need it , just hope it dosent break easily . Will do some checking on that one.
                        The Plumber/Firefighter

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

                          But for what I need for right now wouldn't a socket , extension, and breaker bar work just fine??
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

                            Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                            But for what I need for right now wouldn't a socket , extension, and breaker bar work just fine??


                            That's why I mentioned heat. I can do more with a blue tip wrench when it comes to old products and fixtures than any other tool on the truck. It just makes things better.

                            Take pictures. Always easier to answer by seeing the exact situation.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Need Cleanout Plug Wrench

                              Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                              That's why I mentioned heat. I can do more with a blue tip wrench when it comes to old products and fixtures than any other tool on the truck. It just makes things better.

                              Take pictures. Always easier to answer by seeing the exact situation.
                              I am working off my eye pad , getting ready to buy a new mac notebook then I will be able to send pics, links. This eye pad is nice but when it comes to things like pics, links it's not so user friendly. Both my laptops went up at sometime. I have one older PC left that I use QuickBooks on for my business. I hate sitting at a desk when on this forum so I can't do everything I want on here.
                              The Plumber/Firefighter

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X