X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving dead nicad batterys

U Tube shows using a welder to zap dead nicad battery's. After zap they take full charge again. Will try today at shop with 2 ,18 volt makitas that died.
    Will give results tonight. Also there are 9-2 volt battery's in these. You can test bad ones. and buy new on line or swap them from other discarded ones.
    These tips have been brought to You Kids, by the old farts club.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Saving dead nicad batterys

I have some used/bad Dewalt 18v xrp batteries for sale if anyone wants them. 20 bucks plus shipping gets you all I have......about 6 of them. I take paypal.

Comment

If you don't have a welder just wire 2 cordless batteries in series to get 30VDC or better and do the same thing

Comment

Shop time and results tomorrow. Stayed home today, Sweet
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

when I tried it my results were not impressive,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Have You taken them apart to replace a 2 volt battery and resealed ?

Comment

no I have not, even tho I have taken a few apart and it looks like only one or two batteries in the group is bad, bad,
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

After more reading, the welder fix isn't long lasting. I just ordered 8-1.2 nicad rechargeable aa battery's from Amazon. Price with shipping is $24.38 . Iwill be repairing My 18 volt Makita batterys. My discount price[ just bought 2 new ones $81.00 each. Repairing
                My failed ones is a huge savings. Usually 2 aa batts. are failed . repair price $7.00 per batt. pack. not bad!

Comment

keep us informed on your progress, and how it works in the spot welded tabs and how it works to replace them, (at least most i have sen use the spot welded tabs on the internal batteries,
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I will do. Like You, I get enjoyment fixin My own stuff. It's really not all about the $$. That comes from growing up in the 50s

Comment

Best 18 volt Makita rebuild so far.. google wonder how to how to dissassemble a makita LI-ION BATTERY
                      tHE yOUNG MAN IS MARK SPITFIRE. If someone can help with the proper URL ,it will help all. I mistakenly ordered some Ni-cad battery's.
                      Now I need to find a supplier for LI-ION ONES
                      Last edited by toolaholic; 05-22-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

specialty torx head screwdriver to disassemble Makita battery packs for replacing dead individual battery or battery's

t10h x 80 wina softfinish 362TR PURCHESED AT ELECTRONICS PLUS 4 ST SAN RAFAEL CA. GOOD LUCK
                        This torx head has a center recessed hole! about $9.00

Comment

that is called a security torx, and you can get bits and drivers a at amazon, and even harbor freight has a 100 piece bit set that has security bits of all types, for about $10,

but it is like all the security bits, next week they will use some thing different and you will need go looking for some thing else that is custom or special,
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                          X