X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS-Copper Hack

I found this HACK joint on a bathroom I ripped out from the late 60's-early 70s. It is a 1 1/4" copper DWV transition to 1 1/2" ABS. They shoved the copper into an ABS coupler and used putty to seal it (the yellow stuff in the photo) then wrapped it up with electricians tape. This was used as a vent (so no water leak, but probably leaked sewer gas). The price on the 12 foot length of 1 1/4" copper is written $9.39!!!! (I washed this piece so you could see it better in the photos).
    Attached Files

Re: ABS-Copper Hack

that scrap piece of copper is now worth more that what it cost new

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If it's been there since the 60's it held up pretty well. Too early for Billy Mays though
      sigpic

Comment

I've seen worse...Tro' it in the scrap bin a fuggitaboutit
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Was abs even used in the early 70's? We had PVC here in Akron,Ohio.Looks like a repair trying to match up to the odd O.D. of the copper.I love yanking out old copper drains.

Comment

ABS was used in Canada in the early 1970's in fact I believe it was '70 or '71. My dad bought a new house that was built in 1973, it was all ABS. The drains in the washrooms were 1&1/4" ABS (not even 1&1/2"). PVC is not used in Ontario for general home construction, well only for underground sewers.. It's all ABS up here (with yellow glue). 1&1/4" copper was used for bathroom sinks...not uncommon in the 60's. The house that the photo came from is 101 years old...it had a bit of everything....clay, cast iron, lead, galvanized, plastic, copper....It now has all new copper and ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
              ABS was used in Canada in the early 1970's in fact I believe it was '70 or '71. My dad bought a new house that was built in 1973, it was all ABS. The drains in the washrooms were 1&1/4" ABS (not even 1&1/2"). PVC is not used in Ontario for general home construction, well only for underground sewers.. It's all ABS up here (with yellow glue). 1&1/4" copper was used for bathroom sinks...not uncommon in the 60's. The house that the photo came from is 101 years old...it had a bit of everything....clay, cast iron, lead, galvanized, plastic, copper....It now has all new copper and ABS.
              Thankyou,I was curious.I am now finding ABS fittings that are splitting or cracking.20 years old or more.I havn't found any PVC fittings or joints that are wearing this way so far.

Comment

Gauvil
                You need to read this thread....

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t20725/

Comment

That's pretty bad, but I too, have seen worse.
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                  X