X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire bell rings

I have a friend that every time his sprinklers shut off the fire alarm bell will ring for a second. This has been going on for years and started to get worse so I installed a regulator at the sprinklers the the house and still the alarm goes of a little the pressure on his fire sprinklers actually will rise to 180 psi the city water pressure is 110 psi how does that happen. He calls and tells me that another neighbor he met had the same problem a few years back and a plumber installed a hammer arrestor which fixed the problem so I installed 1 on his house no more alarm. This just don't seem right now the reason I'm asking about this problem is that a plumber buddy of mine had changed a regulator and ball valve for a customer and there complaining about the fire alarm ringing just for a second. This is only the 3rd one i have heard of any ideas on what it could be? I thought maybe air in the fire sprinklers causing the problem but why does the pressure just in the fire sprinkler rise so high? Any thoughts out there

Re: fire bell rings

The water hammer is flipping the flow meter causing the alarm bell to ring, did your friend turn the regulator down to the same pressure as the one he replaced?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The one thats that have been replaced were bad and the pressure was to high.

Comment

the pressure surge from the sudden stopping of the automatic lawn sprinklers is causing the 2 to 3 times pressure spike.

i would think a double check valve should soften the shock/ rebound. also an expansion tank will absorb better than a shock arrestor as it has more capacity.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I think the expansion would work in hind site but why would it start after you replaced the regulator and not from when the house was new I'm sure the regulator worked?

Comment

Don't spend any money. If you take the cover off of the flow switch, there is a dial that sets a delay from the time the paddle trips the switch to the time that it sends a signal. More than likely, It's set at zero seconds so it sends a signal immediately. You can adjust it up to 45 seconds. If you do this and the flow switch trips, and then un-trips again within that 45 seconds, it won't send a signal. It will only send a signal if there is a sustained flow for 45 seconds.

Comment

Working...
            X