Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: joe the HACK

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
    If I can buy products from Wolverine Brass and make a profit then I dont care who they use as a poster boy or what they call him or what he calls himself. Speaking of WB I need to place an order. See you guys later.
    Amen! Boycotting a product because of an ad piece is pointless.

No I'm not a plumber, and never will be, no thanks! I have a lic. Plumber for that jazz. Just curious how many calling Joe a hack do little jobs here and there without a permit... lic'd or not, some would call that hackish... just sayin. I'll stick to tile and general construction thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      Tank balls,friction rings,cone washers,big orange flappers,closet bolts,tank bolts,etc.
      Their tubular brass products are top notch and a good price. The 17ga trap is a beast.

Their pop up assemblies are the best IMO. Basket Strainers are good too.

They also have budget/import copper fittings (up to 2") and ball valves at a great price.

I like their angle stops too.

Their brass ballcocks are still the best in the industry.

Their shower valves are nice. Great builder quality valve. the lavatory and kitchen sink faucets are about on par with Moen, Delta or Gerber (they make various copies of all 3 brands). One of the supply house guys swears that the faucets are only assembled here in the USA and are really manufactured in China. If you look at the Hodes catalog, the faucets look suspiciously like the "Advantage Brass" brand they advertise.
      I get the stuff TM mentioned too. My rep is a good dude. They are very aggressive with pricing!

I don't care for the new ad with "Joe". I think it's about 3 years too late and still inappropriate given that their audience is (presumably licensed) contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post

No I'm not a plumber, and never will be, no thanks! I have a lic. Plumber for that jazz. Just curious how many calling Joe a hack do little jobs here and there without a permit... lic'd or not, some would call that hackish... just sayin. I'll stick to tile and general construction thank you.
        ahem, I believe that this is the professional plumbing discussion board? Perhaps you should take that into consideration before you judge our responses to this trade specific topic. Everyone here takes enormous pride in their licenses. Just because someone does plumbing it does not make them a plumber.

I'm not trying to be a jerk either. I'm just saying, the fact that you are not a plumber yourself gives you a much different perspective on the situation then guys like myself, ironranger, JC, or others.

It's most definitely not a union thing either, nor is it jealousy. The guy needs to get a license, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
          A plumbing license is just another TAX and having a license doesn't mean you really know what your doing,like most professions.
          Ok, as a staunch libertarian I will agree with this. But on the other having licensing boards does prevent a lot of "hacks" from calling themselves plumbers and advertising as such. Thus it keeps the kooks out. However, the libertarian in me would say let the market dictate that (ie: the hacks will go out of business because they're just that, hacks). I am somewhat torn on the subject. I do believe obtaining a license is an important thing for any professional to do. It's a good milestone to reach and it lets the regular people know (or feel) that you are a "certified" professional. Joe shouldn't have lied about his credentials, it just made him look bad.
          Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
          Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Why? Because he asked a question of presidential canidate that no one else had the guts to ask. Like it or not, licenced or not, it is an image of the American dream, making it on your own with out the help of others, without someone holding your hand and doing the talking on behalf of ones self instead of relying on someone else to take care of you. Joe found work on his own, he provided for his family in a way he thought was right. Yes, he should have gotten his licence, that I do agree, but I do see his side as well. If one wants to be licenced, what are his options... limited, you have to work for someone, you have to work your way up a ladder when in all honesty is rigged. You could pass the plumbing licence test with 100% score, plumb an entire house 100% to code with your eyes closed and yet you still can't get a licence with out passing through the "hierarchy" and to me that is somewhat flawed. In all honesty, why isn't there a trade school course, 4 years long, includes business classes as well as book and hands on testing that when you graduate you get a licence... why not, you all know the answer...
            I had nothing against what he asked and I would have asked the same question. The problem came in when all the lies came out. Not only was he unlicensed in Toledo, so was his boss (the hand holder). Joe said he was buying his bosses business and he makes around $250,000 per year. As it turns out, the boss makes $100,000 a year working out of his house and Joe was his only employee. In addition, the boss was never selling the business to Joe or anyone else. There is no question Joe is a plumber regardless of licensing. Still he has had 10-years of experience (working for someone else) so why didn't he get a license and go find his own work? Now add in that he was behind in his taxes (relying on someone else to take care of him).

I defended Joe for as long as I could. However, it got to be like reading a touching story only to find a link to snopes attached.

Mark
            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-25-2011, 10:33 AM.
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              I had nothing against what he asked and I would have asked the same question. The problem came in when all the lies came out. Not only was he unlicensed in Toledo, so was his boss (the hand holder). Joe said he was buying his bosses business and he makes around $250,000 per year. As it turns out, the boss makes $100,000 a year working out of his house and Joe was his only employee. In addition, the boss was never selling the business to Joe or anyone else. There is no question Joe is a plumber regardless of licensing. Still he has had 10-years of experience (working for someone else) so why didn't he get a license and go find his own work? Now add in that he was behind in his taxes (relying on someone else to take care of him).

I defended Joe for as long as I could. However, it got to be like reading a touching store only to find a link to snopes attached.

Mark
              I don't want to buy things where you do.

J.C.

Comment

John Mc Cain liked him..He was quoted as calling him" My good friend"..Good enough for me..But seriously this guy was trashed . That's what the media does. I would hate to hear what came out if I ever ran for public office ..The scandals, the love children , the back room deals, blah, blag, blah,It's all politics plain and simple.Didnt matter if the guy had every license known to man , he didn't stand a chance after standing up to Mr. Potato head..
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jcsplumbing View Post
                  i don't want to buy things where you do.

J.c.
                  lol!

Comment

Why don't you use an unlicensed plumber for all that jazz? I hate to tell you what most here think of "general construction" guys. You didn't even call yourself a General Contractor did you? Why not, no license?

Comment

I believe I know what this is really about. Back a few years ago in Minnesota anyone could do plumbing in ANY town of 5000 population or less, that was the law. (yes it was a stupid law) Then finally Minnesota got smart. They gave anyone a limited amount of time to obtain what is called a "Restricted Plumbing License". If they could PROVE with receipts that they did plumbing in these towns for a certain amount of years they would be awarded a "Restricted License" to work in these small towns, they would also have to obtain insurance and a bond.
                      Most failed to keep records and were not able to obtain this Restricted License.

If you go to the State of Minnesota Department of Labor website and look up license's you will see those marked with a restricted license, they can do plumbing in the towns of 5000 or less legally. Then you will the "real" plumbers marked with a "PM", "Plumber Master" who doesn't have any restrictions, such as I.

These law changes really pizzed off a lot of "general construction" folks if you get my drift.

I turn them in every chance I get if I find they're plumbing without a license and the State DOES do something about it.

Comment

Why don't I use a unlicensed plumber? Why even ask that question, come on! I am not a general contractor because I don't want the headaches included. I am mainly a subcontractor, I do framing, tile, etc for a couple different contractors. I do have my own jobs, but those are generaled by the home owner, I give them the phone numbers of the people I recommend, which is a lic. plumber/electrician, as well as trades I don't do, carpet for example. I don't charge a dime for the references and don't get a kick back either. I just do the work I know how to do, and do it to the best quality standard.

Why the hate for someone who is "general construction"? I haven't painted my self into a corner with one trade, therefor I have stayed busy while many are sinking. So what if I know how to frame a house, trim a house, tile it, roof it, side it, paint it, build and install cabinets, and so on? Just because I don't do the same thing everyday doesn't mean I am not as good as a "one profession" professional... just saying.

I have no beef with anyone calling Joe out as a unlicensed under the radar liar that maybe a bit shady, but I just can't call someone a "hack" without seeing their work, regardless if it was done legally or not due to being lic. or not. Trust me, there are plenty of "hacks" that are lic. and there is proof on this board of pictures posted of work that was supposedly done by a professional that was anything but. I use to be a licensed low voltage installer, but never renewed my license when I quit the trade, and I can tell you, the amount of HACK framing, plumbing, insulating, electrical work that I saw in new houses going up the passed inspections, all done by "Licensed contractors" would make you shake your head in disgust! I mean, come on, 1 1/2" out of level walls, rough in plumbing that some how got past the inspector that wasn't even finished (have no idea how he got his rough in final, never pressure tested, hell the shower valves weren't even installed, the pex was hanging loose open!). Brand new roofs that leaked, foundations that bowed 3-4" inches.... all this by Licensed companies... can you start to see WHY I don't have much faith in people who think that the license matters so much? To me, it has be proven that its nothing more than a guaranty slapped on a box of poo. Heck, even had a Lic. electrician wire up what was suppose to be a 120v outlet to 240v, and didn't check it, customer plugged in a computer and fried it, and at another outlet was the same and the cable installer got knocked off his ladder when he plugged in the signal booster into another 240v outlet that was suppose to be 120v. That is a Hack...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                          A plumbing license is just another TAX and having a license doesn't mean you really know what your doing,like most professions.
                          that's the problem. they require us to have a license, and bond. but yet they don't seem to enforce the requirements to those that don't posses the required license.

every now and then you hear about an unlicensed person practicing medicine. but everyday we see unlicensed people in the trades.

if the cities, and states require a license to work in the trades, then we should require the municipalities to enforce the licensing laws.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

If you are doing subcontracting work under a general contractor in this state then you have to be licensed, insured, and bonded. I have no beef with you in particular but I do have a major problem with unlicensed contractors stealing work away from those who pay their dues and feel they deserve it.

http://www.dli.mn.gov/main.asp
                            Last edited by ironranger; 05-25-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Licensed in what? Tile setting? Painting, hardwood Floor installation? I have my own registered company, and am insured. From my understanding Bonding is not required unless you have had a judgment against you.

Comment

Rick they do enforce it around here. Our regional state inspector loves getting those calls, sort of gets him all fired up! Check out the enforcement link on the State page, they get er done!

I do remember how Ca. was and it's too bad they don't enforce it out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X