Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: joe the HACK

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
    Licensed in what? Tile setting? Painting, hardwood Floor installation? I have my own registered company, and am insured. From my understanding Bonding is not required unless you have had a judgment against you.
    If you're doing the type of work you describe and you work for yourself, you will need to have either a "Remodeler" license, or a "Residential Builder" license in the State of Minnesota.

Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry

Comment

The liscense or lack thereof was the least of the issues for me with Joe. The dirt that came out was also a secondary issue for me; who among us couldn't be made to look bad under that kind of scrutiny?

An issue for me was that his question wasn't a question; it was an attack. He'd already made up his mind as to the answer. Which isn't a big deal to me.

The MAIN issure for me is that he's an idiot. He'd made up his mind that a tax plan was unfavorable to him without understanding the plan, tax structure (to include the extraordinarily basic concept that one is taxed on NET profit, not gross revenue), or that that tax plan would in fact benefit him if he ever did manage to get into the IMAGINED circumstance he'd seen himself in in his dreams. He then got a detailed, informative response, which he was too stupid to understand. And then stubbornly stuck to his original decision that that tax plan was unfavorable to him rather than attempting to understand it.

Not to mention which, his position and concern are entirely about whether a tax plan will benefit or be a burden to him, personally, rather than about whether it is fair, eqitable, and of benefit to the nation.

Living on day-dreams, stupid, ignorant, passes judgement w/o knowledge or understanding, stubborn, and self-centered. I found him to be an embarrassment by association in that I am loosly in the same trade.
      Last edited by Ace Sewer; 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        that's the problem. they require us to have a license, and bond. but yet they don't seem to enforce the requirements to those that don't posses the required license.

every now and then you hear about an unlicensed person practicing medicine. but everyday we see unlicensed people in the trades.

if the cities, and states require a license to work in the trades, then we should require the municipalities to enforce the licensing laws.

rick.

The inspectors put some teeth (only a couple) in the license laws in my area.

Illinois just passed a law requiring all construction vehicles to be lettered and have the appropriate license #'s displayed. I'm still a little fuzzy on how it got passed, but I'm ok with it if it's legit

Comment

I wish they would enforce the law where if you advertise you do plumbing you must post a valid license in the ad.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I'm really happy that Minnesota is as strong as they are regarding unlicensed hacks and that goes for all trades. Either you have a license or you don't. If you don't then watch out because we're all watching and the state inspectors love catching the hacks in action. I've seen so many it's not even funny. Even in my small area up here they don't put up with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
              I'm really happy that Minnesota is as strong as they are regarding unlicensed hacks and that goes for all trades. Either you have a license or you don't. If you don't then watch out because we're all watching and the state inspectors love catching the hacks in action. I've seen so many it's not even funny. Even in my small area up here they don't put up with it.
              Yes the State of Minnesota is really tough,they collected about 3,500.00 in fines this month for the whole state and caught 7 violators. One violator was a city.....i bet the workers who were instructed to do unlicensed plumbing work made that call to report it!!!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                I wish they would enforce the law where if you advertise you do plumbing you must post a valid license in the ad.
                California requires all advertising that requires a license includes the number.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  Yes the State of Minnesota is really tough,they collected about 3,500.00 in fines this month for the whole state and caught 7 violators. One violator was a city.....i bet the workers who were instructed to do unlicensed plumbing work made that call to report it!!!! lol

Sure, that's about 84 a year on average. How many did they catch in Alabama this year? LOL That's right, NONE.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                    Sure, that's about 84 a year on average. How many did they catch in Alabama this year? LOL That's right, NONE.
                    What does Alabama have to do with it? You could always check if you are into that sort of thing. I wouldn't call catching 8 people a month agressive enforcement for an entire state and most of them are technical things like not having a bond etc etc and not hacks without licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      What does Alabama have to do with it? You could always check if you are into that sort of thing. I wouldn't call catching 8 people a month agressive enforcement for an entire state and most of them are technical things like not having a bond etc etc and not hacks without licenses.
                      It sounds like this thread is about ready for some Pancakes.......

Comment

Pancakes are good!

http://www.herdaily.com/blogimg/recipes/pancakes.jpg

At least some licensed plumbers do take pride in having a license. I know I do.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                          It sounds like this thread is about ready for some Pancakes.......

When the pancakes come out I know I made a good point and thats all they can do is change the subject. LOL ....Licenses are like A-holes everyone has one of some type and they are proud of it. LOL

Think of all the licenses and permits that are required to live a 1/2 way normal life.
                          Last edited by TheMaster; 05-25-2011, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Licensing could be more useful if states had the money to activly enforce the law. Unfortunately they don't. It costs a whole lot of money to hire enough inspectors, secretaries and lawyers and that's what you need to be effective. NH has 5 inspectors that cover the entire state. Actually it's more like 4 because the head inspector is more of an office manager than an inspector. The other problem is that most state plumbing laws only cover "licensed" plumbers so plumbing boards only have jurisdiction over licensed plumbers. Unless someone else files a complaint or a local inspector nails some hack, the state board has little real power in the matter. Top that off with a faultering economy and judges that are often sympathetic to the "right to work" None of these issues will go away or get better unless licensed plumbers are willing to pay more for their licenses so that more inspectors can be put on the job and licensed plumbers need to have more input on the formulation and ammendments to their state codes. In short, if you don't like it then get involved.

Now if you will excuse me, my pancakes need flipping.............
                            sigpic

Comment

It really is a shame that states can't enforce their own rules. These neverending budget cuts are just gonna make it worse, and there will be even more hacks like JOE that are going to be slipping through the cracks.

At least when you're licensed you don't have to be worried about being exposed like ol' Joe the hack was.
                              Atlantic Mechanical
                              Plumbing Services We make sure a royal flush will always beat a full house.

Comment

Working...
                              X