X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inverter: I fried mine today.

red: Originally I ordered an auxiliary battery from the factory with the sprinter. I didn't like the original battery so I changed it to an Optima Yellow deep cell and installed the largest one I could fit under the seat, and had to custom make brackets and stops to hold that beast in place. I'm guessing with the battery, isolation switch, and cabling there might be ~$400 not including the inverter. This next inverter will be in the $600 - $800 range I'm guessing. I really like having the available AC in the truck, it provides options and freedom.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      I'd be worried about hauling a generator around in the back of the truck with gasoline in it. knowing the way things get tossed in the back of the rig and how loads can shift while driving the generator could be upset and leak fuel. then you have another motor to maintain to boot. I have enough room and keep the van orginized very well. I already drive around with the jetter in the back and that does alright so a generator shouldn't be an issue.

You can get a underhood solution in one of two forms:

1. A small generator mounted under the hood that draws fuel from the vehicle fuel tank with start/stop controls on the dash.
      2. A engine mounted belt-driven generator that can give you all the AC you need, with an optional welding capability too if
      you had the need to do a little welding now and then.
      any links on the above suggestions? Very intersting and never thought of this before. Suggestion 1...is that's what's in RV's?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I spent a half hour using the search here on the forum and could not find my post from a couple years ago. I don't know if the search engine is not as good or the index used got corrupted but I have noticed that when I have tried to search for a number of past posts they do not turn up.

Anyway, there is(was) a web site that had info on these under hood mounted welders and generators. I'll try to find it again. I might have it saved in the bookmarks list on my other computer.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

google "underhood generator". breid....................

Comment

I been running an inverter in my truck for 6 years now with no issues, other than replacing the battery once this year. I run my 1065, Ridgid K-750, K1500, and even the Bosch Brute off it.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I got some answers from the manufacturer today.

<The arc welder is totally out of the question. These types of devices are huge inductive loads which can easily kill much larger inverters. FYI: Modified sine wave inverter outputs directly comes from power transistors that are polarity sensitive. Large inductive loads can "kick back" a reverse polarity spike and short the output transistors. >

Of course I was asking about a pure sine wave inverter, but I presume his advice is good there too.

I might check into the underhood generator.

Comment

I decided to get another Aims inverter. It's a 3000 watt pure sine wave. They just redesigned them and got them UL listed. They start shipping the new models next week. The operating upper temperature is 104 deg. F. This seems to be the norm, although there is a Xantrex model that will operate to 140 deg. F. It's also nearly $1000 more. There just aren't that many 100 degree days here in Mn. (Although yesterday I saw 103 F on my truck thermometer while I was driving home at 4 pm) I didn't even have the AC on in the truck! (I used central air. )

The new Aims also has a surge value of 6000 watts as opposed to 4500 on it's old unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Anyway, there is(was) a web site that had info on these under hood mounted welders and generators. I'll try to find it again. I might have it saved in the bookmarks list on my other computer.
                  Something like this?

Premier Power Welder high-frequency on board welders, high-amp alternators, charging systems, Ready Welder, trail, off-road
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                    I decided to get another Aims inverter. It's a 3000 watt pure sine wave. They just redesigned them and got them UL listed. They start shipping the new models next week. The operating upper temperature is 104 deg. F. This seems to be the norm, although there is a Xantrex model that will operate to 140 deg. F. It's also nearly $1000 more. There just aren't that many 100 degree days here in Mn. (Although yesterday I saw 103 F on my truck thermometer while I was driving home at 4 pm) I didn't even have the AC on in the truck! (I used central air. )

The new Aims also has a surge value of 6000 watts as opposed to 4500 on it's old unit.

It turns out the salesman I spoke to at Aims provided incorrect info. Aims is "considering" updating their 3000 pure sine wave inverter to get a UL listing and 6000 watt peak. Instead I ordered the Aims 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter and charger. It cost some more, but it has the 6000 peak watt overload, and I can plug AC directly into the inverter if I want to via a transfer switch. PWRIC300012S. I might have to find a place to hang a microwave oven. )

Comment

Installed my new 3000 watt Aims pure sine wave inverter yesterday. I like it.

It's got a transfer switch on it so I can plug in "shore power" and charge the battery, or run anything plugged into the inverter. So maybe in the winter I'll have a little electric heater to keep the engine and inside van relatively warm. (Van sits outside). I had the roof, sidewalls and doors all foam insulated so it might actually work.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Geno, is that a sprinter? If so there was no need to undo the whole seat assembly. If you look carefully under the seat cushion there is a lever you can remove the seat bottom to gain access to under the seat area. I will post a picture when I get back in... and after I clean out my cab a little.

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                        Installed my new 3000 watt Aims pure sine wave inverter yesterday. I like it.

It's got a transfer switch on it so I can plug in "shore power" and charge the battery, or run anything plugged into the inverter. So maybe in the winter I'll have a little electric heater to keep the engine and inside van relatively warm. (Van sits outside). I had the roof, sidewalls and doors all foam insulated so it might actually work.

Comment

don't think so as the sprinter has a storage compartment under the passenger seat. also my inverter battery is factory installed under the hood and the starter battery is under the drivers floor.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            Geno, is that a sprinter? If so there was no need to undo the whole seat assembly. If you look carefully under the seat cushion there is a lever you can remove the seat bottom to gain access to under the seat area. I will post a picture when I get back in... and after I clean out my cab a little.

Yep Ron, it's a 2006. I had no idea you can remove the seat that way. Thanks! You're a veritable FONT of information.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              don't think so as the sprinter has a storage compartment under the passenger seat. also my inverter battery is factory installed under the hood and the starter battery is under the drivers floor.

rick.
                              Rick, maybe your Sprinter is the 2nd generation?

Comment

Here are pictures as promised.

Comment

Working...
                                X