X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter: I fried mine today.

This week I got myself a new Dewalt 10" compound Power Miter box. Today I decided to run it on the Aims 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter mounted in my truck.

Pulled the trigger, the inverter popped off.

Turned the inverter off, then on. Started the truck, flipped the switch so the backup battery was exposed to the main vehicle battery and alternator. I reasoned that a slightly higher voltage would result in lower amps feeding the inverter.

Pulled the trigger, the inverter made a disagreeable arcing noise, a squeal, then an acrid pungent smell, along with smoke.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll pull it out and look at it. If it's toast as I suspect I think I'm going to get this one next.

XTW3000-12 Pure Sine Power Bright Power Inverter 3000 watts

This one should be big enough to run the suitcase welder, and any other power tools I have without blinking. I would welcome any suggestions regarding a superior brand or model inverter?
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Inverter: I fried mine today.

then an acrid pungent smell, along with smoke
    its dead, get a new one.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

sounds dead to me too but shouldn't it have some sort of overload protection to prevent this?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        sounds dead to me too but shouldn't it have some sort of overload protection to prevent this?
        Why yes it did. Apparently something went wrong. After I remove it from the truck I'm going to take the cover off and see if the problem is visible.

Next time I'm getting a larger, more robust inverter to handle more of life's little surprises.

Comment

For $800.00 how often do you use it I have a small inverter in the truck for cordless batteries and a honda 2000 generator that is supper quiet I use for jack hammers and my pipe threader if needed we also use it for camping to run tvs and other small devices that don't require the rvs big generator. I've had it for a few years and its saved me countless times recently I had AAA put my spare tire on my van on my way home on the freeway it turns out it was flat the tow truck driver had a little 2gal air tank that was empty so I used the generator to fired up my air compressor to air up the tire.

Comment

Originally posted by jholder View Post
            For $800.00 how often do you use it I have a small inverter in the truck for cordless batteries and a honda 2000 generator that is supper quiet I use for jack hammers and my pipe threader if needed we also use it for camping to run tvs and other small devices that don't require the rvs big generator. I've had it for a few years and its saved me countless times recently I had AAA put my spare tire on my van on my way home on the freeway it turns out it was flat the tow truck driver had a little 2gal air tank that was empty so I used the generator to fired up my air compressor to air up the tire.
            Jholder: I find I use it sporadically. Although I did pretty much plumb a 16 unit office condo with the one that just died. The thing is when I need it, it's very handy. I did find that same unit at Amazon for $599. I'll probably order it tonight after I relax a bit. I have two generators I can put in the truck. A smallish 1500 watt Coleman, and a 5000 watt Honda. I greatly prefer the inverter as it's much quieter.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              This week I got myself a new Dewalt 10" compound Power Miter box. Today I decided to run it on the Aims 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter mounted in my truck.

Pulled the trigger, the inverter popped off.

Turned the inverter off, then on. Started the truck, flipped the switch so the backup battery was exposed to the main vehicle battery and alternator. I reasoned that a slightly higher voltage would result in lower amps feeding the inverter.

Pulled the trigger, the inverter made a disagreeable arcing noise, a squeal, then an acrid pungent smell, along with smoke.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll pull it out and look at it. If it's toast as I suspect I think I'm going to get this one next.

XTW3000-12 Pure Sine Power Bright Power Inverter 3000 watts

This one should be big enough to run the suitcase welder, and any other power tools I have without blinking. I would welcome any suggestions regarding a superior brand or model inverter?
              I have no suggestions-I however have a question-What is the total finish install cost of such a project?

Comment

Read the review. If it's correct, it says it will shutdown in temperatures of 95 degrees F. Not acceptable to me as it's position in a vehicle could get there easily even the outside temperature is much lower.

J.C.

Comment

Which brings us to the inverter vs. generator topic. I am opting for a generator that is portable , doesn't take up much space in my truck (as there isn't much to spare) and can run what I need to run..
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Once the magic smoke goes from an electrical device, it just won't work anymore. I decided to go with the honda eu2000 once I see them go on sale.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'd be worried about hauling a generator around in the back of the truck with gasoline in it. knowing the way things get tossed in the back of the rig and how loads can shift while driving the generator could be upset and leak fuel. then you have another motor to maintain to boot.

You can get a underhood solution in one of two forms:

1. A small generator mounted under the hood that draws fuel from the vehicle fuel tank with start/stop controls on the dash.
                      2. A engine mounted belt-driven generator that can give you all the AC you need, with an optional welding capability too if
                      you had the need to do a little welding now and then.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

After going through probably a dozen inverters over the years I have pretty much decided that they are all junk no matter how expensive they are. 5000 watt Honda.
                        sigpic

Comment

What did it taste like?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            What did it taste like?

J.C.
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              What did it taste like?

J.C.
                              Chicken of course.

BTW: I saw that 95 degree upper limit too and emailed some questions to other manufacturers regarding same. (They didn't specify upper limit value). Here in Minnesota the 95 degree's F wouldn't be a huge deal. But I would prefer an upper limit in the 100 F + range.

I also like the Aims 3000 watt inverter but the surge or overload is only 4500 watts whereas most of the others offer 6000 watt surge.

Comment

Working...
                              X