Riddle Me This PlumberMan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddle Me This PlumberMan

Just got back from a "water everywhere running from the bathroom, won't stop, help!"

Get there, towels everywhere to soak up the water. They figured out how to shut the water off to the toilet. (I tried to talk them through this before I left but they were in a literal panic saying they couldn't.)

Told water was running from the toilet. I look and see water around the rim of the bowl. They confirm it was coming from the bowl.

So I go and turn the water on to the toilet to see what's up. Everything works fine. Flushes fine over and over again. Nothing backing up in the house. Toilet valve shuts off just as it should, with no weep-by, over and over.

So I hold it down to make sure it is running into the overflow, into the bowl, and out to through the pipes explaining to the person how all of it works & I'm not sure what's going on.

Now the kicker, they hadn't flushed it in over 6 hours, and hadn't used any water for three hours. They just happened to hear it while watching television.

Private well and septic.

So.....what happened? I myself have no idea. But it's a big problem I have to figure out.

J.C.

Re: Riddle Me This PlumberMan

JC, I've seen plugged toilets that sometimes clear themselves after they've been plugged a little while. The toilet paper deteriorates, the fecal matter disintegrates into mush... the plug is gone, and the high water level in the bowl (If it's still high) causes the bowl to flush. After that the toilet would act normally.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

1pc. or 2pc toilet

kohler?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Poopy water or clean?

Poopy..... I'd go with Geno

Clean.... overflow tube popped off, jammed the float and they fixed it right before you showed up

Comment

Clean water, Kohler Wellworth 2 Piece, late model with flush tower, 99% sure person won't lie or fix anything before I get there.

Thanks for the input.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
            The way I read it you have already been there but now your saying they wouldn't lie or fix anything before you GET there. So have you been to the job yet?
            Yes. Should have said "99% sure person wouldn't lie or fix anything before I got there."

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I think Geno and The Master are correct on this one. I've seen it happen out here a couple of times.

Comment

a 2 pc. kohler wellworth will not overflow unless the flush valve/ tower was stuck open.

a 1 piece kohler such as an older 3.5 will cause the flapper to stay open with a stoppage. the flapper will continue to float and overflow until you either lift the ballcock and let the bowl water drop some or clear the stoppage.

the water running tells me the ballcock was not shutting. either the flush tower was lodged open and you had a stoppage or there's more to the story than they want to tell you

another scenario is a flapper being held open by excessive water pressure coming into the tank and the toilet was plugged.

seen many flappers stay open with high water pressure creating air bubbles at the bottom of the tank and causing the flapper to float. but never a flush tower, just too heavy.

rick.
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-28-2011, 10:28 AM.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I thinks there was a little more to the story.

Comment

Not saying this is it, but I would check the Septic Tank to see if it full of solids or if the the front baffle is blocked. A full tank will allowed water to drain, but very slowly. Which would explain why everything worked when you got there. They probaly took a shower or bath right before this problem happen. there is probaly 2 problems here a partially clogged drain & a problem with the toilet

Comment

First question is this a two story house.
                      Repeat that it may have clear itself. But question how it got clog in the first place if not use for three hours.
                      With out seeing lay out, sound like a main line clog and something else was running in the house.

Note PEOPLE lie or tell half truths that is a common thing i find at homes and when family is involved.
                      Family lies to family especially about tampons lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X