Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastlock steel fitting crimping system works.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastlock steel fitting crimping system works.

I tried it today for the first time. I have a customer who had the bottom threads fail on a 1/2" galvanized riser to a 2nd floor. If I had to replace the entire line to the 2nd floor a gorgeous antique tile job in the main bathroom on the 2nd floor would have been trashed. This male adapter/coupling easily saved them over a thousand dollars in repair costs.
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Fastlock steel fitting crimping system works.

gene, very interesting system. can you post a link and cost of the fittings and jaws. what size does it go up to?
    thanks.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      gene, very interesting system. can you post a link and cost of the fittings and jaws. what size does it go up to?
      thanks.

rick.

Rick,

FASTLOCK Fittings

The jaws go from 1/2" to 2". The fittings are either black or galvanized. It's not legal for gas yet, but I guess they're working on that. Although I don't like o-ring type connections for gas so I personally wouldn't use it for that.

I ordered the 1/2" and 3/4" threads so I can tie in old galvanized water piping that's failed. If I recall correctly a set of jaws was in the $750 range. I'll have to get back to you regarding fitting pricing. I want to say the 1/2 and 3/4 galvanized couplings and adapters I ordered were in the mid to high single digit range.

I like the system.

Comment

Thanks Geno, I didn't even know there was such a thing and oh man that would have come in handy more than once! I'm thinking for my basement re-pipes. Sometimes I have to leave the galvy piping going to the second floor and have a heck of a time undoing threads. Sure would be nice to cut them off with the sawzall and use one of these adapters directly on the pipe to convert over to pex or copper. Where do you get yours from? I have Goodin Co. and Ferguson up here. Thanks, cool stuff!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
          Thanks Geno, I didn't even know there was such a thing and oh man that would have come in handy more than once! I'm thinking for my basement re-pipes. Sometimes I have to leave the galvy piping going to the second floor and have a heck of a time undoing threads. Sure would be nice to cut them off with the sawzall and use one of these adapters directly on the pipe to convert over to pex or copper. Where do you get yours from? I have Goodin Co. and Ferguson up here. Thanks, cool stuff!!!!
          Twin City Windustrial. Ask for Tim.
          952 933 5080

They are the only place stocking it in the Twin Cities at this time as far as I know. They are good to deal with. Originally I spoke to the Fastlock manufacturer who gave me the local Rep # who then sent me to Windustrial.

Comment

The Ratster first posted a link to Fastlock on some thread a while back. So we really have him to thank.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              The Ratster first posted a link to Fastlock on some thread a while back. So we really have him to thank.
              http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t36048/
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                I'm afraid so.

Comment

I'm kind of hackish with my galvanized repairs. I'll cut the galvy off until I get back to cleanish pipe, stub a fordxMIP fitting on it and thread an adapter for whatever pipe i'm repairing with.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Don't think so..And if this doesn't fit spinning a 3 way head will do the trick too, or ratchet dies....Don't know I'd have to weigh the options as far as cost etc.
                    Attached Files
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      I tried it today for the first time. I have a customer who had the bottom threads fail on a 1/2" galvanized riser to a 2nd floor. If I had to replace the entire line to the 2nd floor a gorgeous antique tile job in the main bathroom on the 2nd floor would have been trashed. This male adapter/coupling easily saved them over a thousand dollars in repair costs.
                      . Nice fix...did that copper pull to the side to thread mip or couplings on 3/4? Slip galvy press fitting?that is a great fitting regardless thx

Comment

Originally posted by LThompson View Post
                        . Nice fix...did that copper pull to the side to thread mip or couplings on 3/4? Slip galvy press fitting?that is a great fitting regardless thx
                        Yep, I removed some hangers and the copper pulled to the side. The coupling does have a couple of dots on the inside that act as stops which you could remove with a bur grinder. Of course then you lose the galvanized protection. On the other hand, the cut end of the galvanized pipe doesn't have galvanized protection either. But then, neither does the cut end of a threaded joint.

And on and on.

Comment

Id be more concerned with the fem. fitting ..Looks done
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                            Id be more concerned with the fem. fitting ..Looks done
                            Yep, the rust leaked down staining the brass swt tee and makes it look bad, but the tee is only three years old and is actually fine. It turns out I left a Ridgid 14" offset pipe wrench there so I have to go back. I was thinking of bringing down a wire brush and cleaning the fitting.

BTW: My cost on the fitting was in the $12 range. Actually more because I had UPS charges and I had to drive 40 minutes one way to get the jaw, and then to return it when I was done. But the ultimate result was worth it, for what I'll save customers and myself in grief in the future.
                            Last edited by geno gardner; 06-04-2011, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Geno,

what a great fix and investment in an amazing tool!

what did you initially cut the 1/2 galv riser with to make the repair without disturbing the rest of the fragile galvanized plumbing? I m guessing a sawzall would have been too rough on the other pipes

Comment

Working...
                              X