Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

$90 Costco Toilets

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • $90 Costco Toilets

    Well , had a customer ask me if I could install a toilet from Costco she was thinking of buying,Apparently it is a "comfort height" toilet. Her parents are elderly and could use it for sure. Now whenever I hear Costco , Sams club , $80,$90 toilets etc. etc. I kinda freak. Well I told her more than likely with a $ 90 toilet from Costco she would have nothing but problems with it constantly clogging etc. I told her to go with a name brand as most have either a class 5 or class 6 flushing mechanism..I felt bad telling her no but I am the one that's going to be getting the constant calls for the cheap crap she wants to buy. I was talking to my buddy today and he said"why did you tell her that .It should be ok .Hell Kohler wellworths are 80-90$ at home depot" I told him NOT comfort height and the bs flag was thrown...

    Was I wrong by trying to steer her away from a product she chose to buy????
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

  • #2
    Re: $90 Costco Toilets

    i don't have any hands on experience with the costco toilet. but i have looked at them. they are dual flush and have a fluidmaster ballcock and soft close seat if i remember right.

    costco is not in the business of selling junk. remember they have a real good return policy and i doubt they want to sell a toilet that will be coming back into their store used

    when i get there this week, i'll take a better look.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: $90 Costco Toilets

      A 90 dollar Lamosa will flush 24 golf balls which is 6 more than a Wellworth will
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: $90 Costco Toilets

        never seen either lamosa or vortens. closest vortens dealer, according to vortens site, is Dahl, 25 miles away. cant find a lamosa dealer or a lamosa site. I'd be interested in finding a local distibutor for either if you like them. Where do you get yours?

        I liked wellworths for cheap toilets until they did away with the flapper and went to the tower. Lately I've been using briggs/proflow for cheap toilets. No issues I've heard about, but I don't feel great about them, especially the last two; they were in a color instead of the white toilet-in-a-box I usually get, and seemed a subtly different casting.

        Don't know the costco one, but, in general, I don't see any more problems with cheap toilets than spendy ones.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: $90 Costco Toilets

          Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          never seen either lamosa or vortens. closest vortens dealer, according to vortens site, is Dahl, 25 miles away. cant find a lamosa dealer or a lamosa site. I'd be interested in finding a local distibutor for either if you like them. Where do you get yours?

          I liked wellworths for cheap toilets until they did away with the flapper and went to the tower. Lately I've been using briggs/proflow for cheap toilets. No issues I've heard about, but I don't feel great about them, especially the last two; they were in a color instead of the white toilet-in-a-box I usually get, and seemed a subtly different casting.

          Don't know the costco one, but, in general, I don't see any more problems with cheap toilets than spendy ones.

          Ditto...The problem with this customer is she wants to buy everything herself, which is fine but it's always junk..There is no reasoning with some people I guess..I don't like installing cheap anything especially toilets..
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: $90 Costco Toilets

            They all aren't worth a damm. Every manufacturer comes out with their Whoopee Cushion flusher with some B.S. test showing it will move some balls so many feet. Everyone seems to forget that the toilet should provide some degree of sanitation which is one of the main purposes of all plumbing.

            Already seen some problems when people are convinced to put in one of the "Fast Flushers" versus there old 1.6. Wished they hadn't changes. Now 1.28. Flush twice for almost anything and any degree of sanitation. Already seen problems with them too. And we aren't even California.

            And in the next year it will be the Kohler Tornado (Fictitious, no need to Google) that can complete a full cycle on 3/4GPF!

            Marketing today man. Gets on my nerves. Try to convince you that you need something, then immediately try to convince you it's obsolete and something is better.

            Should have made them all 2GPF and left it alone forever. Ok flush, ok sanitation.


            J.C.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: $90 Costco Toilets

              They all aren't worth a damm. Every manufacturer comes out with their Whoopee Cushion flusher with some B.S. test showing it will move some balls so many feet. Everyone seems to forget that the toilet should provide some degree of sanitation which is one of the main purposes of all plumbing.

              Already seen some problems when people are convinced to put in one of the "Fast Flushers" versus there old 1.6. Wished they hadn't changes. Now 1.28. Flush twice for almost anything and any degree of sanitation. Already seen problems with them too. And we aren't even California.

              And in the next year it will be the Kohler Tornado (Fictitious, no need to Google) that can complete a full cycle on 3/4GPF!

              Marketing today man. Gets on my nerves. Try to convince you that you need something, then immediately try to convince you it's obsolete and something is better.

              Should have made them all 2GPF and left it alone forever. Ok flush, ok sanitation.


              J.C.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: $90 Costco Toilets

                Lamosa was once carried by HD, they were a toilet in a bag. Real cheap and ugly as a wagon load of bungholes. they do however have a huge water way. It's like the size of a softball. It's a straight up wash down design, no jet.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: $90 Costco Toilets

                  I don't know anyone who guarantees a toilets flush. I don't care if it's a 6 thousand dollar toilet I sell, I'm not going to guarantee it won't stop up. That's just nuts. Also I would have no problem installing the Costco toilet for the customer. I install customers fixtures and parts all the time, we all do. I'll always suggest something better and explain why. I just don't guarantee anything except for the workmanship if it's customer supplied.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: $90 Costco Toilets

                    Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    A 90 dollar Lamosa will flush 24 golf balls which is 6 more than a Wellworth will
                    Can I have Your old BALLS ?? HE HE, STILL CRAZY
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: $90 Costco Toilets

                      Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                      I don't know anyone who guarantees a toilets flush. I don't care if it's a 6 thousand dollar toilet I sell, I'm not going to guarantee it won't stop up. That's just nuts. Also I would have no problem installing the Costco toilet for the customer. I install customers fixtures and parts all the time, we all do. I'll always suggest something better and explain why. I just don't guarantee anything except for the workmanship if it's customer supplied.

                      Funny you mention this. I just installed a Gerber Avalanche toilet yesterday. I told the customer to throw away his plunger he won't be needing it. I get a call this AM. His first dump plugged the toilet. He cleared it with his plunger. I returned and pulled the toilet, the wax ring wasn't blocking the outlet so I reset it. I installed a Fluidmaster 3" flapper with the adjustable hole so I got some more water to flush with. The toilet flushed fine after that, of course the acid test will be tomorrow AM.

                      Then he mentions he's got Crohn's disease so his stool is not normal. He said the food goes through pretty much undigested, and let's just say it's substantial.

                      So if it plugs up again tomorrow I'll go back and install an Am Stan. Champion 4. I'll probably charge him something for the Avalanche but it'll be less than my cost. (Toilet rental fee?). Not sure what to do with the Avalanche after that. Can't sell it and can't return it since it's not defective.

                      What would you do?
                      Time flies like an arrow.

                      Fruit flies like a banana.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: $90 Costco Toilets

                        Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                        Funny you mention this. I just installed a Gerber Avalanche toilet yesterday. I told the customer to throw away his plunger he won't be needing it. I get a call this AM. His first dump plugged the toilet. He cleared it with his plunger. I returned and pulled the toilet, the wax ring wasn't blocking the outlet so I reset it. I installed a Fluidmaster 3" flapper with the adjustable hole so I got some more water to flush with. The toilet flushed fine after that, of course the acid test will be tomorrow AM.

                        Then he mentions he's got Crohn's disease so his stool is not normal. He said the food goes through pretty much undigested, and let's just say it's substantial.

                        So if it plugs up again tomorrow I'll go back and install an Am Stan. Champion 4. I'll probably charge him something for the Avalanche but it'll be less than my cost. (Toilet rental fee?). Not sure what to do with the Avalanche after that. Can't sell it and can't return it since it's not defective.

                        What would you do?
                        Have this happen quite a lot. It's not yours or the toilet's fault because customer won't take medicine.

                        Pressure assist/ultra flush would be last option as far as toilet goes. After that it's Out-House time...that usually gets them to take their medicine.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: $90 Costco Toilets

                          Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          never seen either lamosa or vortens. closest vortens dealer, according to vortens site, is Dahl, 25 miles away. cant find a lamosa dealer or a lamosa site. I'd be interested in finding a local distibutor for either if you like them. Where do you get yours?

                          I liked wellworths for cheap toilets until they did away with the flapper and went to the tower. Lately I've been using briggs/proflow for cheap toilets. No issues I've heard about, but I don't feel great about them, especially the last two; they were in a color instead of the white toilet-in-a-box I usually get, and seemed a subtly different casting.

                          Don't know the costco one, but, in general, I don't see any more problems with cheap toilets than spendy ones.
                          ProFlo toilets are made by Briggs. They are pretty solid for the money. I use them when a customer wants nothing more than a basic toilet (commercial build-outs, fixing-to-sell, etc.)

                          I have a customer with the Sam's club toilet. It's a dual flush. So far so good.

                          Anyone put in any of those "dual flush conversion kits" that HD sells? They look like a headache in a box. I do kinda like the fluidmaster with the adjustable valve on the refill tube.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: $90 Costco Toilets

                            Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            Have this happen quite a lot. It's not yours or the toilet's fault because customer won't take medicine.

                            Pressure assist/ultra flush would be last option as far as toilet goes. After that it's Out-House time...that usually gets them to take their medicine.
                            Thanks Flux. I have no idea about the Crohn's medicine, that's a personal decision on the customer's part and I assume they make the best overall decision. I won't install a tank style pressure assist toilet since I saw the pics of the exploded tanks. Even if the failure rate is one in a million it's not worth the risk.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

                            Fruit flies like a banana.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: $90 Costco Toilets

                              Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                              Funny you mention this. I just installed a Gerber Avalanche toilet yesterday. I told the customer to throw away his plunger he won't be needing it. I get a call this AM. His first dump plugged the toilet. He cleared it with his plunger. I returned and pulled the toilet, the wax ring wasn't blocking the outlet so I reset it. I installed a Fluidmaster 3" flapper with the adjustable hole so I got some more water to flush with. The toilet flushed fine after that, of course the acid test will be tomorrow AM.

                              Then he mentions he's got Crohn's disease so his stool is not normal. He said the food goes through pretty much undigested, and let's just say it's substantial.

                              So if it plugs up again tomorrow I'll go back and install an Am Stan. Champion 4. I'll probably charge him something for the Avalanche but it'll be less than my cost. (Toilet rental fee?). Not sure what to do with the Avalanche after that. Can't sell it and can't return it since it's not defective.

                              What would you do?
                              Well I got the call, and he plugged the Avalanche. He did say the plunging was easier this morning. I don't know if his movement was different or if the greater amount of water helped, he thought it was the water.

                              Anyway, I pulled the Avalanche and installed the Champion 4 water closet. I decided to not charge him any extra labor although he offered, and I charged him 50% of the cost of the Avalanche. I feel his life is hard enough dealing with Crohn's, and he may have been embarrassed to discuss it to begin with.

                              Hopefully the Champion will handle the load.
                              Time flies like an arrow.

                              Fruit flies like a banana.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X