X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerber ceramic discs

So I go to buy a replacement set of ceramic discs for a tub/shower faucet I installed a year or so ago..Well turns out you have to buy the whole stem ..What?????I told the counter guy."You have to be kidding me"..Nope that's the way they all come now..Called Gerber they were more than happy to send replacement stems..Again I explained I don't need the whole stem just discs and the red rubber retainer.They are sending me replacement stems ..Scratching my head trying to figure out why they are wasting $35 when all I need is set of discs and retainer $3 in parts ..maybe..I paid $35 for the replacement just to get my customer up and running .Now I will be stuck with replacement parts that I may never need ..Well except for the one I just repaired..probably the cold side next I imagine..Why am I complaining ..Because it doesn't make sense except that maybe if they just sent the discs I would break em before they got installed or after the discs are installed something else turns out to be a problem and they are sending just stem parts out...who knows
    Attached Files
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Gerber ceramic discs

never seen replacement parts. just the entire stem assembly. lots of them aso stiffen up in hard water and leak around the what use to be a packing.

the days of seats, washer, o-rings, packings, gaskets are numbered. and i'll be stuck with thousands of useless parts.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Just like all my useless copper sweat fittings that have been sitting around for over a year. Oh well, da times are changing.

Comment

Yeah , these people have a well system with no softener, no acid neutralizing tank, no filters etc..So makes sense
        Last edited by OLD1; 06-08-2011, 10:18 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          Yeah , these people have a well system with no softener, no acid neutralizing tank, no filters etc..So makes sense
          Doesn't look like well water caused your problem to me.

Comment

No it doesn't to me either .However there is a small rust spot on the cup of the stem and on the underside of the disc. Maybe it had a slight crack the whole time and finally split,Those discs are pretty fragile.They were already installed in the faucet from the factory and I was very careful reinstalling the new stem as you can crack the disc by overtightening also..Hope this one lasts for a while

Comment

Gerber does make "hard water" versions of their stems. Hodes Co. has them on their website. I've never replaced just the discs, always the whole stem. Everything is made sub-standard quality these days. Too much reliance on O-Rings (especially when the rubber is garbage)

I still repair countless American Standard, Chicago Faucet, Kohler (Valvet & Niedecken), Gerber, Eljer, Crane Dial-Eze. Tubs, lavs, K/S. I have a lot of customers that like their faucet that they've had for 50 years and would rather pay to have it repaired than replace it (especially old Gerber K/S faucets and Chicago tub faucets and lavs.

I service a 128 unit condo complex (16 units X 8 buildings) and most of the units still have the original American standard 3 handle tub faucet (with the removable barrel/seat, functions similar to a Valvet or Quaturn) as well as the Chicago lav faucet. Some even still have the Am. Std. Cadet toilet. They may not be shiny and new, but they function better than most of the new fixtures available today.

The complex with built between 1939 and 1940 BTW. That's durability.

I still sweat copper too, and pour lead joints on a regular basis. Call me old fashioned, but I love it! I get a kick sometimes out of repairing something that the customer tells me my Grandfather installed 50+ years ago (occasionally I find an old timer that knew my Great-Grandfather too).

Comment

Working...
              X