X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DuraMax?

Anyone own one? Good and bad? Service costs?

Thanks for any input.

J.C.

Re: DuraMax?

Don't own one, but I think it's safe to say Cummins is King, and I'm a Ford guy.

Comment

Never owned a vehicle with one, but I have not heard anything bad about them either.
      I know a bunch of guys have taken the 6.5 Detroit Diesels out of their Hummers and drop
      a Duramax (6.6L I think) in them with some slight modifications to accept the bigger
      motor. I rode in a friends Hummer H1 with this motor mated to an Allison 6 spd tranny
      and man that sucker was FAST (remembering its a 7800 pound beast).
      Hummer H1 Duramax Conversion.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

What year? There is a few different models to the duramax engine. The duramax would be a very close second choice to me behind the cummins followed by a distant, very distant powerstroke. I have a couple friends with duramax's that are close to 300k miles on them. I am just short of 300k on my cummins as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
          What year? There is a few different models to the duramax engine. The duramax would be a very close second choice to me behind the cummins followed by a distant, very distant powerstroke. I have a couple friends with duramax's that are close to 300k miles on them. I am just short of 300k on my cummins as well.
          I never really heard of any bad things about the Duramax, except some minor things along the way.

7.3 powerstroke was a very good Diesel for Ford. The 6.0 and 6.4 were Dog rockets for Ford, and quite embarrassing if you ask me. Was tired of hearing crap from my friends about it. I think Ford might have a winner with the 6.7 though...time will tell.

Cummins...what more is there to say about it...they are built like tanks.

Comment

There was some issues with earlier duramax trucks, but usually minor. I am not totally up on all the differences, but there is some that are better than others.

Comment

There actually is seven different duramax models since 2001. They added piston cooling jets along the way, different injection systems, different crank/bearing materials and so on.

This is pretty informative Duramax V8 engine. I'll try and pick my diesel buddies brains about the differences.

Comment

Can't comment on the Duramax, but I can say fot sure that the 6.9 and 7.3 "Ford" Powerstrokes were pieces of junk. Those motors (virtually identical designs) were International Harvester engines. Any overheating, however slight, would crack the heads. We got a lot of those because the race teams used diesel trucks to tow the racecar trailers, and when they soured they would bring the engines in to us. I would say over 80% and maybe 90% of the heads we saw failed magnaflux. IH had a service bulletin that delineated acceptable levels of cracking. A complete joke, since once you get a crack it's just a matter of time - and usually not that much time. So they didn't leave my shop with cracks. These didn't pin well, and we couldn't get used cores that weren't also cracked. Fortunately we dealt with the best cast iron welder in No. CA. But it was expensive. There were also problems with the cylinder wall thickness on the rearmost cylinders. Definitely not one of Ford's "better ideas". They did run fairly well while they were running.

Since the bread and butter was the racecar motor, I generally didn't make much on the tow vehicle engine. So I wasn't happy for that business. And we got a LOT of them.

Hopefully the current motors will be better. Cummins was the only small diesel one I thought was worth a darn, but then again I sold the shop before the Duramax engines started coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                  Can't comment on the Duramax, but I can say fot sure that the 6.9 and 7.3 "Ford" Powerstrokes were pieces of junk. Those motors (virtually identical designs) were International Harvester engines. Any overheating, however slight, would crack the heads. We got a lot of those because the race teams used diesel trucks to tow the racecar trailers, and when they soured they would bring the engines in to us. I would say over 80% and maybe 90% of the heads we saw failed magnaflux. IH had a service bulletin that delineated acceptable levels of cracking. A complete joke, since once you get a crack it's just a matter of time - and usually not that much time. So they didn't leave my shop with cracks. These didn't pin well, and we couldn't get used cores that weren't also cracked. Fortunately we dealt with the best cast iron welder in No. CA. But it was expensive. There were also problems with the cylinder wall thickness on the rearmost cylinders. Definitely not one of Ford's "better ideas". They did run fairly well while they were running.

Since the bread and butter was the racecar motor, I generally didn't make much on the tow vehicle engine. So I wasn't happy for that business. And we got a LOT of them.

Hopefully the current motors will be better. Cummins was the only small diesel one I thought was worth a darn, but then again I sold the shop before the Duramax engines started coming in.
                  Thanks Andy. For those that may not know, Andy owned a machine/engine shop. So I believe he knows his stuff.

With that said, Andy most I know here were always very happy with longterm performance with their International 7.3 Powerstroke. I haven't heard of any catastrophic/premature failure to main components such as heads. Of course some could be keeping quiet about it. Seems common to here of 300,000 mostly trouble free miles with them.

Wrong?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I saw 10-15 of those for every Cummins. And every one had at least one cracked head - most had both cracked. The Cummins just required rebuilding... the Powerstrokes required new heads or welding, sonic testing of the blocks and, if it failed, sleeving of the back cylinders. These problems are well known in the engine rebuilding world. Miserable pieces of *()%#$. When you're talking work vehicles and diesels, there's a difference between an engine that goes 300k between rebuilds and one that goes 300k and is done.

Of course, to this day people swear that Mercedes and BMW are the best examples of engineering in the market. Personally I loved BMW. Made a lot of money on those. The difference between BMW and IH 6.9/7.3 was that I could charge market price for the BMW. We didn't want to upset any race teams over a stupid tow truck motor. Mercedes... I finally stopped doing them completely -- parts issues.

Comment

I dunno, still wrapped in a GM, I have a 7.3 Ford with over 250K on it and I tip the scale at over 10K every morning when I leave the house with a coffee and a full lunch pail. The aluminum heads on the D-max still worry me, good for a K-car not a Diesel. My next truck will be an F-600 or larger so my engine options are not so limited as a pickup.

Comment

If you're stuck on diesel, I'd get one before they all have this extra DEF, DPF, etc. etc. on them, unless you're talking used?

Comment

Working...
                        X