Plumbing supply house using Un licensed plumber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing supply house using Un licensed plumber

One of the Largest Plumbing supply houses in our nation, is using a contractor that was removing plumbing and capped off lines without a license, and did not pull proper permits for the work done. When I brought this to their attention, they hired a guy off of the counter, but then he put the plumbing in wrong. I brought this up to the manager, and was told that I needed to leave his workers alone. I am SICK of this crap going on. I am turning the Project into the local and State authorities, but I doubt anything will be done. I don't like pulling permits, or all of the CRAP that we as business owners have to put up with either, but I am trying to the right thing. I am tired of our officials and homeowners turning a blind eye. Even the other day, the better business guy hired a handyman who is unlicensed to do plumbing for him. I am not perfect, but when does the Madness stop. Oh and by the way, I can buy my product online, and will be spreading the word to other plumbers. The company Starts with an "F", and that's my GRADE for them "F".
    "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Re: Plumbing supply house using Un licensed plumber

I had a problem once at a local one and notified Newport News about it. Next day the manager had sugar coming out of his mouth.

Do it.

J.C.

Comment

Sorry. My post may not make total sense to you. Ferguson's U.S. is headquartered in Newport News.

About Us - Culture

You can call them. But written word has more weight in my opinion. Have to keep it respectful and factual. Touch on the illegality, unfair competition directly affecting their main customer base, the people involved and their actions, and any intentions to contact the governing boards regarding the matter.

J.C.

Comment

PlumbingJay if you think that's bad, come to my supply house, and you will sit next to Handymen and other building contractors ordering Plumbing material (pipe & fittings) all day long.

They are so arrogant, they look at me like "wtf are you doing in here". lol But these are the same people who break out their little note pads, and draw pictures of what they want at the counter..lol. One time I had a building contractor ask me about venting after he just purchased the material for a job he was doing. I looked at him and bluntly said.."if you're too cheap to hire a Plumber to do the job, what makes you think I'm going to sit here and educate you in the parking lot?". I thought we were going to come to blows right then and there, as he didn't like my answer and I particularly didn't care what he liked or didn't like.

But It basically boils down too...money, and people are doing everything they can to "try" and cut the Plumber out.

Comment

I'm not a plumber, I'm just a home owner who does their own repairs when possible.

And I resent the looks that I get when I goto a supply house.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
            I'm not a plumber, I'm just a home owner who does their own repairs when possible.

Me too!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post

I agree with you!

You have a "right" to fix your own problems in your home, as long as it's up to code and permits pulled if necessary. You get those looks because of the bad apples who hire out for Plumbing that have NO License,knowledge, or insurance to do so, and you get lumped in like you're one of those contractors.

Don't pay no mind to it.

Comment

I don't let stuff like that get to me. We are always booked up. We do most of our work for commerical GC's. We had a company that would cut our price by 20%. They would either be way behind, mess it up, or both, usually both. The GC would then want us to complete the job for their price. I would tell the GC we could complete the job correctly & on time, but only at our price and the reason that the other company messed up is because they bid the job to low & could not afford to man the job with competent personnel. They went out of business 2 months ago, but it won't be long before another one will take their place. The bottom line that every job performed by someone who is incompetent is an opportunity & as long as there are people to cheap to pay to have it done correctly there will someone willing to do to it cheap & incorrect.

Comment

a couple years back i was at a local supply house that now has 13 branches. what pissed me off wasn't them selling the tankless heater to the guy, but them selling the csst tract pipe and fittings too. of course they look at me for advise on installing the product.

the manager was out to lunch, so i called the owner of the supply house and told him my concerns about selling products to unlicensed people that require a license to install. i was more concerned about the csst than the tankless.

because of my stand on this, the supply house has officially stopped selling the csst to anyone unlicensed.

it does take others to speak up and raise an eyebrow.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

You know the old adage; "The Plumber Protects the Health of the Nation". Well, it appears that you have to protect the trade too by standing up to these situations when you come across them.
                    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Here's a different view... licensed electrician, my a/c goes out. After eight days of promises that Shumate HVAC will be there to fix it, I got tired of waiting and diagnosed myself. Starter capacitor on compressor. Local electrical house doesn't have it. Local HVAC house DOES have it but won't sell it to me because I don't have HVAC license, they tell me to go call a contractor. After I explain to them that I DID but they wouldn't come out (two of their flunkys were standing right there at the counter) relucantly sold to me. Plus since homeowners don't need license to work on their own homes....

Just my two cents. And as far as "protecting the trade" my great reputation protects it for me :-)

I'm sure I'll be blasted lol....

Comment

Originally posted by Paul GA View Post
                        Here's a different view... licensed electrician, my a/c goes out. After eight days of promises that Shumate HVAC will be there to fix it, I got tired of waiting and diagnosed myself. Starter capacitor on compressor. Local electrical house doesn't have it. Local HVAC house DOES have it but won't sell it to me because I don't have HVAC license, they tell me to go call a contractor. After I explain to them that I DID but they wouldn't come out (two of their flunkys were standing right there at the counter) relucantly sold to me. Plus since homeowners don't need license to work on their own homes....

Just my two cents. And as far as "protecting the trade" my great reputation protects it for me :-)

I'm sure I'll be blasted lol....
                        Technically, a capacitor has nothing to do with our Refrigerant card...so I agree with your frustration. But as you know, it's to keep the homeowner out.

If I was the counter guy, and you showed my your electrical license, I absolutely would of sold you the capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          Technically, a capacitor has nothing to do with our Refrigerant card...so I agree with your frustration. But as you know, it's to keep the homeowner out.

If I was the counter guy, and you showed my your electrical license, I absolutely would of sold you the capacitor.
                          Under my (occasional) boss with a B license (general contractor) and C10 (electricial) I went to an HVAC supply house to buy a box of 10" R6 duct. They told me to go fly a kite, they are"protecting their contractors". CMON, I can buy this crap from Home Depot for less money, how are they protecting their contractors? If I was buying something more significant I can understand them telling me that. If that is the stand they want to take, they should not do any cash sales to employees of their precious C20 contractors, because you KNOW they are doing side jobs that they scalp, and or are doing unlicensed work as their own contractor.

maybe this rant belongs in the things I dont like thread?
                          Last edited by masterbeavis; 06-14-2011, 10:22 PM.
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                            Under my (occasional) boss with a B license (general contractor) and C10 (electricial) I went to an HVAC supply house to buy a box of 10" R6 duct. They told me to go fly a kite, they are"protecting their contractors". CMON, I can buy this crap from Home Depot for less money, how are they protecting their contractors? If I was buying something more significant I can understand them telling me that. If that is the stand they want to take, they should not do any cash sales to employees of their precious C20 contractors, because you KNOW they are doing side jobs that they scalp, and or are doing unlicensed work as their own contractor.

maybe this rant belongs in the things I dont like thread?
                            We have a Nursery by us that is for Landscapers only. I didn't realize a Professional landscaper can only handle trees,plants and shrubs! No homeowners or people off the street allowed.

That's even more ridiculous...but I hear you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              We have a Nursery by us that is for Landscapers only. I didn't realize a Professional landscaper can only handle trees,plants and shrubs! No homeowners or people off the street allowed.

That's even more ridiculous...but I hear you.
                              Yes thats wholesale only. There are a few close to me that have signs out that say wholesale only...one reason is they have contracts with Wal-mart,lowes,home depot etc and its in theiir contract they cant sell to the general public. Dont think a good ol country introduction and a pocket full of cash wont get ya some plants tho....because it will. Old timers dont turn down cash money.....thats a sin. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X